Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Progressive Addams Family 2 tie-in
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Addams Family 2 tie-in

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive


Joined: 09 Nov 2020
Location: arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 2188
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:04pm
well progressive has diversified as did gecko

but doug and the limu emu need to die  
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Back to Top
Sponsored Links



Back to Top
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 3172
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think the whole point is to create recognizable figures that help to kind of cement or solidify public awareness of the brand being advertised.

If they came up with new characters every time they created a new commercial, nobody would remember them.

Plus, given the difficulty in coming up with new creative advertising ideas, it would be next to impossible anyway.

Well yeah, that's what made commercials enjoyable for me growing up in the 70's and 80's. Ad mascots used to be cute, funny, relatable... but as time goes by, the adholes in the suits and corporate offices are smoking more and more crack, and they hire people who become more and more irritating, and I'm sick and tired of every ad trying to be a freaking sitcom. Today's characters are NOT cute... NOT funny... and NOT relatable. Not to me, anyway. Thumbs Down And back to topic... Charlize Theron... really? This is what you've been reduced to? Cartoon characters? Come on... LOL
Back to Top
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive


Joined: 09 Nov 2020
Location: arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 2188
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think the whole point is to create recognizable figures that help to kind of cement or solidify public awareness of the brand being advertised.

If they came up with new characters every time they created a new commercial, nobody would remember them.

Plus, given the difficulty in coming up with new creative advertising ideas, it would be next to impossible anyway.

Well yeah, that's what made commercials enjoyable for me growing up in the 70's and 80's. Ad mascots used to be cute, funny, relatable... but as time goes by, the adholes in the suits and corporate offices are smoking more and more crack, and they hire people who become more and more irritating, and I'm sick and tired of every ad trying to be a freaking sitcom. Today's characters are NOT cute... NOT funny... and NOT relatable. Not to me, anyway. Thumbs Down And back to topic... Charlize Theron... really? This is what you've been reduced to? Cartoon characters? Come on... LOL

nice rant Triple J !!!
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Back to Top
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 54176
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Well yeah, that's what made commercials enjoyable for me growing up in the 70's and 80's. Ad mascots used to be cute, funny, relatable... but as time goes by, the adholes in the suits and corporate offices are smoking more and more crack, and they hire people who become more and more irritating, and I'm sick and tired of every ad trying to be a freaking sitcom. Today's characters are NOT cute... NOT funny... and NOT relatable. Not to me, anyway. Thumbs Down And back to topic... Charlize Theron... really? This is what you've been reduced to? Cartoon characters? Come on... LOL 

A few that come to mind are....

The Frito Bandito (possibly the first victim of political correctness... got canned because he was a negative Mexican stereotype)

The original Burger King (kindly, befuddled chubby little old cartoon guy who got replaced by the Tom Selleck type version which in turn, morphed into the peyote nightmare freak we have today).

The Taco Bell Chihuahua (another victim of PC culture)

Mort Meek ("a name not a slogan" and Chips Ahoy commercial character) 

The Alka Seltzer "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" guy.

Mr Whipple the "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" guy.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Back to Top
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive


Joined: 09 Nov 2020
Location: arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 2188
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:59pm
skymarshall on Twitter: &amp;quot;Drop the chalupa, man!… &amp;quot;
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Back to Top
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 3172
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

A few that come to mind are....

The Frito Bandito (possibly the first victim of political correctness... got canned because he was a negative Mexican stereotype)

The original Burger King (kindly, befuddled chubby little old cartoon guy who got replaced by the Tom Selleck type version which in turn, morphed into the peyote nightmare freak we have today).

The Taco Bell Chihuahua (another victim of PC culture)

Mort Meek ("a name not a slogan" and Chips Ahoy commercial character) 

The Alka Seltzer "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" guy.

Mr Whipple the "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" guy.


Needless to say, I wasn't referring to any of these, specifically. Ermm
Back to Top
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 54176
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Needless to say, I wasn't referring to any of these, specifically. Ermm 

Needless to say, I was.  

So.... 

Ermm  
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Back to Top
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Avatar

Joined: 25 May 2011
Location: Fayetteville NC
Status: Offline
Points: 1134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Just saw the latest Progressive ad.

A CGI thing called "Flo Meets The Addams Family".

Just in time for Halloween.


Not bad as Progressive commercials go, I guess.

I wonder when the CGI Flo dolls hit the market in time for Xmas. 





I have to ask...are the Addams Family popular enough to warrant this TODAY? I mean, I grew up with the reruns on  TV and I even had a book of  Charles Addam's old cartoons as a kid...but damn, that was like 1970s stuff. 
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Back to Top
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 54176
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:21am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

I have to ask...are the Addams Family popular enough to warrant this TODAY? I mean, I grew up with the reruns on  TV and I even had a book of  Charles Addam's old cartoons as a kid...but damn, that was like 1970s stuff. 

The original Addams Family TV show was from around the early to mid 1960's!!! 

There have been movie remakes since then, though.

It was a very iconic and memorable show. 

Who is Charles Addams, BTW?

The characters were Gomez and Morticia (mom & dad), Pugsley and Wednesday (the kids), Grandma and Uncle Fester, Lurch, Cousin It and Thing.


...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Back to Top
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Status: Offline
Points: 3406
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
HA i realized the other day as i watcned the FIRST A Fam episode--which is
sort of a BOON to us who grew up when Munsters & the aforementioned would
swap places on the rerun channel and run in no particular order...
my granddaughter looks like first season Wednesday EXACTLY

oh on buffoons-the familiarity should come from the brand and its attributes--
that should be the concept played off of NOT some idiot or animal--the ideas
that play off the actual product should influence the creative in my opinion

Lazy is riffing on how stupid Flo, Gaymie and Adenoids chick TRULY ARE and how little they
have to do with insurance or the fact that Gecko & Geico share a few consonants
i mean THATS not a stretch? Hardly genius
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Back to Top
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive


Joined: 09 Nov 2020
Location: arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 2188
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:45pm
I guessing we will see more of the same sh*t as they tie in to sponsoring the movie/streaming Biz

whats next ?

jamie hanging with Batman!
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Back to Top
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Avatar

Joined: 25 May 2011
Location: Fayetteville NC
Status: Offline
Points: 1134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:


Who is Charles Addams, BTW?

The characters were Gomez and Morticia (mom & dad), Pugsley and Wednesday (the kids), Grandma and Uncle Fester, Lurch, Cousin It and Thing.




Charles Addmas created the characters. (though IIRC he didn't "name" them. They were featured in his cartoons. Think it like a creepy black humor Far Side strip. Charles Addams - Wikipedia

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Back to Top
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Avatar

Joined: 25 May 2011
Location: Fayetteville NC
Status: Offline
Points: 1134
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:03pm
Jimbo: 
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.219 seconds.