Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conceited Narcissist on Match.Com Commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3b3i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conceited Narcissist on Match.Com Commercial
    Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:20pm
God, I hate these commercials! This one really gets my goat, though.

BRIE & DOUG

Who is cocky and desperate enough, on a first date, to just CASUALLY mention their grade point average in college?

I can understand mentioning the college you attended, that's one thing. But you can just TELL the way this woman conducts herself that this poor dude didn't even ask, she's just one of THOSE people.

"Oh YES, I forgot to mention, I was the HEAD of the cheerleading squad in high school. I was a TRACK star AND a SOFTBALL star. I was the VALEDICTORIAN. Are you INTERESTED yet? OH PLEASE, good looking stranger, PLEASE say you're interested in me now! I know I'm not very attractive, but maybe if I rattle off some of my accomplishments you'll want to have sex with me!"

Sponsored Links

dollar1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dollar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:31pm
Ever notice that in all of these Match.com commercials the dates consist of non-stop laughing? And not just chuckling, they are all out milk squirting out of their nose laughing.

Also, this woman's eyes look like Bruce Banner's eyes when he is half way changed into the incredible hulk.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:50pm
Without viewing the video, I guess it's just an attempt to be cute- like, she *knows* it's not a big deal, but is just being silly about the first-date stuff. At least.........I hope!!

As long as she doesn't seriously think it matters. But they do say that job interviews and dates are similar.
Carrigon View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carrigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 3:58am
I hate all these commercials.  I had nothing but bad experiences with any of these dating sites.  They are all full of predators.  They all lie.  I had one guy claim he owned a shop and it turned out he only cleaned the toilets at the place.  They should put that one on one of these commercials.
aspie1966 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspie1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 8:21pm
"Look at me!! I graduated college with a 4.0. I'm SO smart. I'm little miss perfect!!" Shut the Censored up!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 8:44pm
After her 4.0 comment, the guy should have  said "Check please!"........ and proceeded to run- run away as fast as he can.
a3b3i View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3b3i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

After her 4.0 comment, the guy should have  said "Check please!"........ and proceeded to run- run away as fast as he can.

LOL Now THAT would have been entertaining.
Carly Corday View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carly Corday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 8:59pm
I carry a MENSA card in my wallet!

(Too bad it's a keepsake from my late father. Me no got no Mensa card o' my own, and never will. And I gots mighty few of his genes, either, I think.)

I hate narcissists too, dammit! The more it goes, the more it seems to OKAY to be openly and vocally conceited. Humility is for back in the days when people had things to be conceited about. Those people in that commercial learned their social graces from watching W.W.E.
"Turn up the crazy and tear off the knob!"
—Stephen Colbert to Fox News whack-job Glenn Beck (Indian name "Paints with Poop")
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by a3b3i a3b3i wrote:

BRIE & DOUG
[tube] 
Who is cocky and desperate enough<...> she's just one of THOSE people.

"Oh YES, I forgot to mention, I was the HEAD of the cheerleading squad in high school. I was a TRACK star AND a SOFTBALL star. I was the VALEDICTORIAN. Are you INTERESTED yet? OH PLEASE, good looking stranger, PLEASE say you're interested in me now! I know I'm not very attractive, but maybe if I rattle off some of my accomplishments you'll want to have sex with me!"
Perception is everything - I totally didn't get that, at all.

I think she comes off as very confident, sure, but desperate?  No.  She was very comfortable, and yes - she is attractive, as is Doug, who is less confident - but he still laughed off the 4.0 thing with an "I did not...."

It's not about whether they'll want to have sex with the other, it's about them getting to get to know each other.  It's a first date.

Where this commercial may fall short of reality, I don't know, is the attractiveness of the two people.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Carly Corday View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carly Corday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by dollar1 dollar1 wrote:

Ever notice that in all of these Match.com commercials the dates consist of non-stop laughing? And not just chuckling, they are all out milk squirting out of their nose laughing.

I noticed that! Every time one of these comes on, with the split-faced, head-thrown-back belly laughing, my mouth automatically turns up at the corners too, but not in a good way.
"Turn up the crazy and tear off the knob!"
—Stephen Colbert to Fox News whack-job Glenn Beck (Indian name "Paints with Poop")
tarheelmed02 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelmed02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 7:14am
Have seen this commercial and other Match one.  That one gem where the B***ch says, "I guess match runs in my family."  Congrats you homely, freak rejects from the Hill have Eyes cast... kudos. And where the hell did they get this 1 in 5 skewed stat?  Maybe that dude shoulda said, handing her an abacus "so have you calculated why you're still single, past your formative child bearing and rearing years and relying on an unscrupulous online dating service to find you an equally socially awkward mate."
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by a3b3i a3b3i wrote:

BRIE & DOUG

Who is cocky and desperate enough, on a first date, to just CASUALLY mention their grade point average in college?

I can understand mentioning the college you attended, that's one thing. But you can just TELL the way this woman conducts herself that this poor dude didn't even ask, she's just one of THOSE people.

A woman who gushes that she had a 4.0 GPA in college on her first date = HUGE red flag.  This is the kind of woman who, when she realizes that you may actually be much more intelligent than her, runs for the hills to protect her fragile ego.   
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:32pm
I wouldn't necessarily run for the hills. Dating is about getting to know each other, and a perfect GPA in college is something to be proud of. Assuming it's legit and from an accredited school!

If a guy mentioned that, I would make a mental note: Is he all about perfection at any cost? Do numbers mean THAT MUCH at the expense of experience? Because a great GPA is indeed a good thing; however, did it involve popping Ritalin or speed, or buying pre-written papers to get everything done?? Confused

My suspicion would be that the person might be a little too fixated on crap like status symbols, brands, salaries etc. The world is not black and white. People like Bill Gates were college dropouts, after all. 
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:02am
Originally posted by dollar1 dollar1 wrote:

Also, this woman's eyes look like Bruce Banner's eyes when he is half way changed into the incredible hulk.

LOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:43am
The look on that dude's face says it all. She'll be left wondering why he hasn't called, meanwhile everyone but her knows why. All these match commercials have examples of what I feel are horrible first dates, ones that will never result in a marriage. The one I've been seeing a lot has a guy tell his date "puberty hit me like a ton of bricks". WHO THE HELL TALKS LIKE THAT ON A FIRST DATE?! Talk about your favorite movies, what you do in your spare time, don't talk about politics, what you make at your job, or PUBERTY. God, no wonder all these people are single.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 8:38pm
Wouldn't  the 4.0 GPA  be on her Match.com profile?  Maybe she brought it up when the dude had trouble with the wine list and she had to order.Confused  
orion70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 8:57pm
I get a kick out of the one where the guy asks the girl "so, do you like 80's highschool movies?" and she stammers her way through "uh, yeah ..... they're like... my favorite!!"

Sure lady....
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:26am
Originally posted by orion70 orion70 wrote:

I get a kick out of the one where the guy asks the girl "so, do you like 80's highschool movies?" and she stammers her way through "uh, yeah ..... they're like... my favorite!!"

Sure lady....

Somebody really needs to stop by netflix and update his movie collection.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic