Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Movie Trailers are MISLEADING!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movie Trailers are MISLEADING!!!
    Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 8:51am

I hope this fits as a commercial. I think it does anyway. It’s not one in particular; rather the whole damned lot of them. Movie commercials, or trailers if you will; THEY LIE!!!! They make you think a movie is all this way or that, then you get there and it’s NOT at all what you paid to see. You think it’s a comedy, you came to laugh, but really it’s a drama, with a few funny parts in it. Well the funny parts might be humorous IF the trailer didn’t already show you what’s about to happen!! These trailers get longer and longer, and show more and more detail, giving the most of the plots away. Lately I have been really disappointed at movies because if I watched the preview, I’ve already seen all the best parts.

I no longer go to theatres to see movies. I guess the last one I went to see was Star Wars EPIII ROTS. And that was only because I knew if I didn’t, I would have heard all about it before the DVD rolled out. I usually just rent the DVDs now. I’m not in that big of a hurry. The New Jurassic Park I will probably have to go to or my kids will disown me.  I have five kids, so going to the movies costs a small fortune and I can find better ways to blow $100 for an hour.

Thank God for a few movies I have seen lately that the previews to which didn’t give the plot away: Mr. Brooks, No Country for Old Men, and Gone Baby Gone just to name a few. These were (to me) incredibly good films. I highly recommend them.

Others I found very good, if you like animation, were Beowulf, and Dragon Wars. DW was a little weak on the story, but the animation was top shelf.

AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Sponsored Links

Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 5:17pm
Yeah I hate that. They can cut them to make them seem anyway they want, and even use outtakes that aren't even in the final movie sometimes. What I hate worse though is that they basically ruin the film by showing all the best parts, often showing the ending scenes.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 9:01pm
Yeah especially if they want to build up a huge BUZZ for a certain film and they run the trailer relentlessly, so by the time you finally see the movie you know what's going to happen next. Like say for instance in the trailer you see the main character get shot, and you remember this. Then when you are watching the movie, the hero is in a jam and you wonder if he/ she is going to get out of it, but you remember that the hero gets clipped in the trailer.......DUH!!!!!!!!!!! Where's the friggin suspense in that????? Wheather or not the hero lives is another issue, but it's a dead givaway in the plot!! I hate that crap.
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 3:33am
Someone once pointed out that the two trailers for Nim's Island appear to show two completely different plots.  I'm not sure they go that far, but they definitely show that trailers can make any character appear to be the main character.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 7:05pm
These days you have two choices:

1. See the movie at the Theatre. Ticket, Popcorn and a Soda will set you back about $15.00

2. Wait about four Months, then see the movie at Home. DVD, Popcorn and a Soda will set you back about $15.00 (But you get to KEEP THE MOVIE afterwards!) LOL
squashbuckler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squashbuckler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 8:14pm
Well now you also have the choice of Netflix and Blockbuster online.
ratattack View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratattack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:32pm
I hate when you see a trailer and it shows the same scenes each time it's run. You get an idea of what the movie is about, then they change it. They add different scenes that change the story (that you thought it was supposed to be). Now you have absolutely no idea of what to expect. 
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:56pm
Other than the occasional "blockbuster", that really should be seen on the big screen, I do the Netflix thing.  Works out to be about 5-6 movies a year that I deem worthwhile.

But, you're right about ther trailers being 90% of the movie.  I don't think I need to actually see Iron Man or Speed Racer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic