Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Cable Channels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Cable Channels
    Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 8:09am
First of all, if we are paying for the service, why do so many of them put infomercials on at night? And if you're on the West Coast, you find that most of them run on Eastern Time, so they start this earlier here.

Second, the commercial breaks are LONG! Like 4-5 minutes! And they're the same commercials over and over and over and over again.
Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 4:48am
That's why I DROPPED Cable TV 16 Months ago!
Foxtrot360 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxtrot360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 6:23am
It's not just Cable either, I watch Satelite (DirecTV) and its the same way. Theres nothing but boring shows and informercials between 2 - 6 AM EST.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 6:26am
Foxtrot, I have DirecTV also. I just used "cable" as generic, because I think the basic channels are usually referred to as "Basic Cable," aren't they?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 9:15am
When "Cable" first started being offered nation-wide, there was a lot of commercial free television.  In those days they had more respect for the fact that the consumer was paying for a "service". 

Nowadays they try to make it all about the fact that your picture is so "sharp and clear".

Oh yes, those commercials are "sharp and clear" alright, and yeah really loud too! Ermm

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:34pm

As early as the late 1970s, my home in suburban Indianapolis started receiving cable signals such as TBS, HBO and ESPN for some inexplicable reason--and my parents refused to pay for cable!  I thought--this is innovative.  The older I got, the more I found out the cable TV companies were deliberately sending the signals free so they could get you to pay for their services.  Nowadays, I don't even have cable in my home, due primarily to the fact that so many channels--the Game Show Network, in particular--show infomercials during the overnight--and sometimes--early morning hours.  What's especially galling is that washed-up actresses such as Joyce DeWitt and Victoria Principal are appearing in these program-length advertisements!  I'd rather watch 1000 hours of religious programming than watch one infomercial! 

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:10pm
If I could change TV history, I'd have gone back in time to ensure that Geraldo Rivera never got a second chance after his stupid 'Al Capone's Vault' special. Thus, he never would have gotten a talk show, and it wouldn't have inspired Jerry Springer and all the other idiots who turned daytime programming into nonstop garbage! As a result, there would be no need for cable channels that (supposedly) show reruns of classic TV...because all the local channels never would have dropped the afternoon reruns.
sanguinivorous View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanguinivorous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 9:51pm
Virtually everything in this country these days is undertaken with a "most profit, least effort" mindset.  
Ad Slasher View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 9:57pm

You only receive eastern broadcast via DirecTV and Dish Network even if you live in the Pacific time zone. All of the cable companies provide the broadcast based on the time zone they are in if the channels have two broadcast feeds. However, there are channels with one broadcast feeds which it is all scheduled for Eastern Time zone. All of the news channels have one broadcast feeds. Satellite television provides eastern broadcast feeds and not western broadcast bed since satellite television can be receive around the country. People who have satellite television will watch paid programs at 8:00pm in the Pacific time zone because it is 11:00pm.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 11:26pm
Now I'm wishing that I got HBO earlier back in the 90's, probably had even better stuff on back then. (aw hell I was too young to do anything anyway.)

*kicks himself repeatedly in the ass*

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic