Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to..... on CIH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 1:54am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

What does anyone here know about removing a partition from a hard drive?

I know that you better back up all the information on the partition first.  I'm fairly certain it will wipe it clean if you do it.   PaW?

I'm in the process of backing up everything on the "D" drive, but I've got a flash drive that apparently has something wrong with it because it keeps locking up in the middle of large files, or folders with large numbers of files in them. Really a PITA. I have to "safe remove" it, then plug it back in & re-open "My Computer" before resuming. Then it just does it again after a couple or a few more attempts at transferring files to it anyway.

So I'm just gonna buy another one.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 1:46pm
If you attempt to watch a YouTube video inbedded in a post, and you get a message stating that imbedding has been disabled at the request of the user. 
Making the video not play.

Simply double click on the offending video, it will open up in a new window then play just fine.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 12:06am
I've been experiencing sequel errors in IE7 with this site.  Turns out that sometimes even though I appear to be logged in, I am invisibly logged out.

Logging out then logging back in seems to fix it.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 1:17am
musicman, did you say something? 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

musicman, did you say something? 

I did, surprise, surprise, no one is listening.  Embarrassed

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 1:55pm
we couldn't see it.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 11:40pm
Multiple Home Pages
Did you know you can set up Internet Explorer so you can have multiple home pages?

You can.

I have a YouTube page a Facebook page and of course a CIH Active topics page.

Simply go to Tools/Internet Options
Then on the main page where it says Homepage type in or cut and paste any web page address you want to be there whenever you open a new browser.

Just put each page on a seperate line.  Each new line opens a new tab.  It's as simple as that.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 10:42pm

"System Security"

OK, I admit it.  I did something stupid.  I downloaded a virus/trogan to my computer yesterday.  I thought it was a legit part of Windows Defender or something.

The thing is, I have Norton Anitvirus on my computer.  It found the initial download after I already installed it, but was unable to identify and remove it after I installed it.

I looked on the web for some tips on removing it.  The tip I found told me to remove "systemsecurity" files from the registry.  Problem is, I did a whole registry search for "systemsecurity" yet nothing was found with that name.

So I went to my remove programs in the control panel.  There was no "systemsecurity" there to remove.

So I went back into Norton to stop systemsecurity from starting up as a startup routine.  There was no systemsecurity there either.
However, I noticed a file that had the systemsecurity symbol on it called 12944594.

Norton was helpful in that it gave me the location of this file.  It was in C:\Program Data.  So I tried to delete the whole folder but it wouldn't let me because it said the file was in use. (this made sense because it kept popping up annoying fake warnings every 15 seconds)

So I told Norton to disable it from starting.  I restarted my computer, and fortunately, that worked, it wasn't running.

I opened regedit. I searched and deleted every single file in the registry with 12944594 in it.  Then I went back to C:\Program Data and deleted the whole folder containing 12944594.

It was a lot of work, but now I am free of it.  However I am still annoyed that the extremely costly Norton Antivirus did not do it for me.

I had a brand new virus definition file installed minutes before and had done a registry scan.  No problems were found.

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 8:44am
Yeah, the jerks out there are getting pretty slick with this crap. You are lucky you defeated enough of it to keep it from doing anything else. Some of these things are so insidious that once infected, all you can do is repartition and reformat the hard drive, reload windows, and hope you have a recent backup of all your stuff. Ouch

There is better than a fifty fifty chance that you missed more slime, but with some luck, it is not active slime and will simply clutter your drive without doing anything nasty.Angry

Don't EVER click on anything that pops up claiming to have found something, unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the pop up is a legitimate part of software that you yourself installed. You fell for a scam that the real antivirus people generally refer to as "social engineering". The bad guys created a trap that looks legit, but actually entices you to click and give permission to install itself. Similar to all the spam emails claiming to have found problems with your bank account at WaMu. Don't ever click on anything in your browser or your email program unless you KNOW where it came from, and even then, reconsider four times, remembering all the hassle you had to get rid of the stuff this time.

There is one that pops up quite often called something like "AntiVirus2009".NukeDeadOuchEvil%20SmileCensored Last year it was "AntiVirus2008", and so on for many years in the past. Not only is it a Trojan Horse bit of slimeware that infests you with ads and redirects, but you pay money for it, then after they have your credit card info, suddenly the "customer service" toll free number no longer functions. Even if you call your card provider and stop the charge, it can cause all sorts of problems. And you are still stuck with their crud on your computer, to add insult to injury!Ouch
LOL
A lot of the jerks that create and propagate this scam are in Russia, and many of the former East Bloc Communist countries, and this is not a crime in their countries, as long as they are not defrauding their fellow citizens, eveyone else in the world, especially Americans, are fair game.LOL

Last bit of advice: When these things pop up on your screen, don't let the mouse cursor anywhere near the popup. Just a "mouse-over" can trigger some of them. Clicking on the "X" button in the upper right hand corner often won't kill the window; they've corrupted that too: it acts just like the "OK" button!Evil%20Smile  What you should do to kill the popup is to move the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen, and "right click" the mouse to bring up the "Task Manager". Under the "Applications" tab, you will see a list of the programs you have running, including your browser, and possibly your email if you run it at the same time, and other things. You want to click once on the offending item to highlight it, then click on the button at the bottom that says "End Task". You might get another legitimate popup asking if you are sure, or warning that all data will be lost, or something similar. THAT popup is OK to click to kill the other crud.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 12:26pm
I had one about a month ago, that disabled the task manager.  Not fun.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

There is one that pops up quite often called something like "AntiVirus2009".NukeDeadOuchEvil%20SmileCensored Last year it was "AntiVirus2008", and so on for many years in the past. Not only is it a Trojan Horse bit of slimeware that infests you with ads and redirects, but you pay money for it, then after they have your credit card info, suddenly the "customer service" toll free number no longer functions.

That's exactly what I just got rid of. It may have been called "Security 2009" or something like that, but it was supposedly a notice that I needed anti virus software. There was a little striped sheild logo that got installed as a desktop icon. After my computer was done booting up, the virus would take over the desktop displaying a grid of diagonal lines across everything. It wouldn't allow me to run any programs, or access any website, other than theirs, whereupon they wanted my credit card number to supposedly "buy their anti-virus software".

I finally got rid of it just by using the "restore" feature in Accessories->System Tools & restored my computer to an earlier point before the virus was there.

After that, I ran my legit anti virus software twice... once in pre-boot mode, then after a restart & complete boot up, ran another full scan.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:07pm
I hope no one is offended by the fact that I posted this System Security dilemma in two places.

I posted it here and in its own new thread.

The reason I did that is so that by having its own thread it may alert someone unaware of the problem.  Then I also posted it here because this one is more of a long term reference thread.  Whereas the topical thread will most likely at some point sink to the bottom.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 1:00am
How do I upload an Image?

I'd like to post a Picture on one of my Posts this Saturday, but when I try to do so all I get is a message saying to input Website. What Gives?
Poiuyt Power!!!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 1:35am
Reg, use Photobucket.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 4:20pm
Reg, the basic MO is that you "save" a picture from the internet into your computer's picture file.  Then, from your Photobucket account, you open up your picture files and "select" the pic you want. This will upload the pic into your Photobucket account.  From your Photobucket account, you select the "IMG" option underneath that picture, and copy/paste the code for that picture into your CIH post.

First, you have to start a Photobucket account.

Start here:

Oh, that "insert image" icon above the CIH reply box??  Fuggedaboutit.  It never worked for me.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 1:16am
Photobucket photoSUCKets.

Big, fat, slow pain in the ass.

I keep on telling you all to use TinyPic, but alas, you refuse to listen.

It's fast, easy & you don't even need to sign up, sign on or even create an account.

Anyone can use it.

Just open the TinyPic website in a separate window, upload your image then post it wherever you want.

But as I said, you folks just will not listen.

Give it a look-see anyway....

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:09am
Quote How do I upload an Image?
Click the BBCodes link below the Reply box.  Look under "Images and Links" (but if your image name contains one of the "dirty" words this forum *'s, it won't work....)

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:43am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Quote How do I upload an Image?
Click the BBCodes link below the Reply box.  Look under "Images and Links" (but if your image name contains one of the "dirty" words this forum *'s, it won't work....)

LOL at the pictureLOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 2:35am
Just an FYI.  I normally use Google Chrome now, but it has an issue with this website in that I cannot post anything using these dialogue boxes.  No curser appears in the box so I can't write anything.  If anyone else experiences this, simply switch over to Internet Explorer or some other browser.  With IE it resolves the problem of the dialogue boxes not working.

Forum Admin, any thoughts on what the problem might be with the Chrome Browser?
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 3:34am
I use Google Chrome, and my cursor flashes in the Quick Reply dialogue box (or any other dialogue box on CIH for that matter) if I left-click with my mouse pointer anywhere inside the box.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 5:08am
Originally posted by Tampon Submarine Tampon Submarine wrote:

I use Google Chrome, and my cursor flashes in the Quick Reply dialogue box (or any other dialogue box on CIH for that matter) if I left-click with my mouse pointer anywhere inside the box.

For some reason that doesn't work for me.  I can left click all day and it doesn't respond at all.  No curser.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 6:17pm
Solved my Google Chrome problem.  Filling this one out using Google Chrome.
Apparently, Google Chrome never gets updated automatically.  Adobe Flash is included with it, so apparently, to update Flash you have to update Chrome.
When I went to uninstall Chrome I found that the version I had was from 2010. 
I'm not sure why as I just re-imaged my computer this year.

So I found Google Chrome 2013, downloaded and installed it.
Now it works fine.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 3:28am
Anyone know how to get my WYSIWYG editor working again?

I turned it off to try to solve an issue with my tablet but it didn't.

So now I go into Control Panel & re click on yes, it still doesn't work.

So I'm stuck replying to posts in courier font with all the BBcode tags showing.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:37pm
Can anyone give me some tips on posting a pic?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 11:47pm
Pictures need an URL. Look in your Member Control Panel under BBC codes. That needs to be enabled also.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic