Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everybody ready for Winter???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everybody ready for Winter???
    Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 4:20am

I'm not...winter prep is running very late this year.

Didn't get my snowblower in for service till early November. Still waiting for that to come back, but so far no snow here in southcentral PA. Didn't get my mowers "bedded down" for winter (oil & blades changed) until after Thanksgiving. Still have two bags of winterizer fertilizer to put on the lawn, hopefully tomorrow when it's a balmy 42 outside.

And finally, on a day this week when it was in the 30s and flurrying, I was on a ladder replacing an outside light fixture that I'd noticed was broken last May. Can you say "procrastinate?"

Who's ready, and who's not?

Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 5:10am
My shovels somewhere in the house I over heard that there might be snow on Monday, maybe there won't be, who knows. I can't wait until the flakes start flying.

It makes everything pretty but it's a bitch to shovel. So come on winter, I guess.Ermm
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 2:32pm
Winter "Announced it's Presence" this week in Daytona with a Cold Front that came through an Temps in the low 60s. Got the Fireplace Prepped and we had our first Fire (In the Fireplace) on Thursday. Smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 2:34pm

Not much winter prep around here.  I have to go out and harvest my oranges from my orange tree.  I try to put it off as long as possible, as the longer the oranges stay on the tree, the sweeter they get.  But they can't freeze, or the fruit gets kinda mealy.

So, I have to keep abreast of the nighttime temp forecast, and hope the temps aren't going to get into the 20s for more than an hour or two anytime soon.

We already had one night of low temps, and I went out the next day and picked the oranges closest to the ground (as they freeze quickest).  They're really sour.  But I like 'em sour sometimes, so I'll eat 'em.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 5:54pm
Cry'WINTER' is already long-overdue. We love winter; we love snow - lots of it; the more the merrier...and we DON'T have any, way up here in the GreatWhiteNorthern wilderness, on Wolf Island...even friends in the 'ski-country', along the 219 corridor leading into PA, were calling - stranded at home, laughing, having neighborhood pack-style feasts by the fire, and...well, I don't know how many times I heard it - "Don't You wish You & MissyDWolf were here?!". If only we had a 4x4....
Way down south, in Buffalo, they got hammered - in South Buffalo and along the I-90 corridor - people got stranded, New York was un-characteristically not ready, and thus, that was a disaster. I seriously feel for all that were stranded and now are looking for their cars (many got pulled and towed hours after people got rescued). I don't have any idea of how many 4x4's were stranded, but I'm sure plenty - lots of folks really 'believe' they are ready and 'know how to drive through natural disasters' (many find they do not) - generally, it is best not to even attempt such an adventure.
We could've used some of that snow - at least half of it - we are ALWAYS ready for it.
'Cept we don't have a 4x4.
What hurts the most is knowing we have NONE - not a stinkin' single snowflake - and all the pups are considering coming home for the Holidays...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:04pm
Not much winter prep to do here. We usually don't get measurable snow til late in the season. When we do, the state is pretty johnny-on-the-spot about clearing roads so I'm not too concerned.
TWC says we might get an inch or less tonight- it has gotten grey out now.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 4:34am
Condensing the flower pots and pineapples to move them into the shed during freezes.  Have had less achey joints from the cold since I've been drinking tonic water (with quinine.  Cures lots of other stuff too....)  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 5:42am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Condensing the flower pots and pineapples to move them into the shed during freezes.  Have had less achey joints from the cold since I've been drinking tonic water (with quinine.  Cures lots of other stuff too....)  

And tastes N-A-S-T-Y-!!!!!

I used to (still do, actually) love to drink club soda as a kid. My mom would always pick me up a 32 oz. bottle when she went to the grocery store.

One time she picked up the wrong bottle & got me tonic water instead.

I didn't notice it either until after I'd opened it & took a drink.....

DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

BIG disappointment.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 5:44am
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

I'm not...winter prep is running very late this year.

Didn't get my snowblower in for service till early November. Still waiting for that to come back, but so far no snow here in southcentral PA. Didn't get my mowers "bedded down" for winter (oil & blades changed) until after Thanksgiving. Still have two bags of winterizer fertilizer to put on the lawn, hopefully tomorrow when it's a balmy 42 outside.

And finally, on a day this week when it was in the 30s and flurrying, I was on a ladder replacing an outside light fixture that I'd noticed was broken last May. Can you say "procrastinate?"

Who's ready, and who's not?

Thye're saying it may drop down into the mid 30's overnight for a couple of days or so around the middle of next week.....

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big%20smile

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 2:56pm

Didn't get my mowers "bedded down" for winter (oil & blades changed) until after Thanksgiving.  

You change your oil and blades every year?  Shocked

In the 8 years I've had my mower, I've changed my oil and only sharpened my blades once.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

You change your oil and blades every year?  Shocked

In the 8 years I've had my mower, I've changed my oil and only sharpened my blades once.

I've NEVER changed the oil in mine, but I have sharpened the blade once.

Of course, as little as I use my mower that' s not saying a lot.

I should change the oil before next mowing season, though.

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 3:32am
Well winter came today WE GOT SNOW!!!!! I bet at least an inch of it on the ground. Big%20smile
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 1:44pm
Big%20smileConfused04:30 A.M. this very mornin'...
"Dammit, dammit, dammit! Ya been prayin ta 'The Baby Jeezus' while getting hammered again, PaW?!"
"...huh...snort...wha?!"
The bedroom light is shining in my eyes.
"GET UP! and go clean off the car..."
"I donneedta get up, yet...lemmee alone..."
"YOU have to get up. YOUR wish was (and still is being) 'Granted' - WE GOT HAMMERED - in spades!"
<drag tail around and slap on the duck boots, stumble outside...>
The 'Blackillac' had roughly 10" of that wonderful white stuff on it - and thus, everything else did, too. Getting the car cleared off and ready and clearing a walkable path to it was the easy part...looking down the path toward 'civilization' was much more concerning.
All the same, 'Winter' showed up between late last night and very early this morning.
Big%20smileI'm soooooooo excited...been out playing in the snow for a few hours, now.
MissyDWolf wasn't ready for this; she wanted some 'fair warning'. She also wanted me to get the snow tires on the car...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:12pm
NO!!!!! I absolutely cannot stand winter! Too freakin' cold! Wake me up when summer comes back.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 6:23pm
We had flurries overnight with a really thin coating this morning. It was super fine - you could blow it off. Driving through the swirls looked like I was driving through smoke.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 6:35pm
Big%20smileTWolf (youngest daughter) just sent message from the Blue Ridge Mountains...said they are currently in the middle of a major blizzard; she is really excited and lovin' every minute of it...just like dear ol'Dad...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:37am
CryAs I said, *we* finally got some snow...but NOT like this, way down south in Buffalo!
I want some...I'm tired of this 'Sunny and 84'-weather. Well, maybe it is 'Sunny and -8'-weather...but all this 'sun and fun' is simply holdin' 'da Wolf down, doncha know...
Them stinkin' 'city folk' have all the fun as of late, and it just ain't fair, I tell ya...if'n we don't start getting *more* of this around here...

http://video.buffalonews.com/player/?id=2100     <<<---watch the video, too!

...now, down in Beeton, Ontario...well, guess what is under those piles of snow?
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:05am
I've put my blue jean shorts and cotton T-shirts away for a couple of months, and plugged in my electric blanket. I gave my umbrella a coating of Scotch Guard for the occasional rain, and my Thunderbird has a new set of wiper blades.

For the rest of you outside of San Diego, I wish you joy in shoveling up all the global warming you will soon find on your driveways. Evil%20Smile
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:58am

Didn't get my snowblower in for service till early November. Still waiting for that to come back, but so far no snow here in southcentral PA. ...Still have two bags of winterizer fertilizer to put on the lawn, hopefully tomorrow when it's a balmy 42 outside.

Thank goodness, my power equipment guy's wife called the other day and I'm getting my snowblower back tomorrow morning. They had been calling for snow this Sunday, but now they're calling for just rain.

Last Saturday was in the 40s as advertised, so the winterizer is on the lawn, and an added bonus, I got most of the extension cords put out to support our outdoor Christmas lights.

Sunday, when the temps dropped into the 20s, I lit my coal stove. Much nicer in the house now!
Hundreds of threads killed.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:58am
Just had the first freeze of the season here in FL.  Banana trees, gone.  Papaya trees, gone.  Everything I put in the shed, alive.  Going to be a long winter....
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:58pm
OuchDammit, dammit, dammit!!! We were TEASED!
Trails are clear and muddy...the sun is shining, and it is about -8, outside.
I'm dying in this heat!!!
Gimmee some snow and cooler weather....
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:29pm
TWC said we got down to 12 degrees last night. When I stepped out this a.m., I believe they weren't kidding..... brrr.
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 5:55pm
Nope...and I ain't dreaming of a White Christmas either!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 7:00pm
I really don't mind winter all that much.  I even like shoveling; it's almost meditative to me (I know, it's crazy).  Got our first blizzard of the season today here in Illinois.  Had to dig out a long snow drift that was 4 foot deep on the driveway.    
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 1:54am
Big%20smileYEAAAAA!!!! We're getting hammered and there is NO END IN SIGHT! Think we have 'Snow to Go'!
Everyone know what THIS means...it's time for WINTER CAR BOWLING (it was in full-swing, today)...think I'll have to dig the ol' Camry out of the garage - it is spectacular for this sport...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic