Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Item of interest.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Item of interest.
    Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 3:02pm
Here's what happened when I ranted about ads we hate on another board I'm a member of. I'm sure this counts as a television-rated rant, so I thought I'd share it here.

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/forums/index.php?showtopic=697
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 3:44pm
Sorry, 70s80s...can't view the posts without registering as a member.  You've piqued my interest, but not enough to register with the competitionWinkLOL

Rundown?

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 4:17pm
Well, this is what I wrote about a local station that runs classics of quality TV shows that TVLand USED to air:

"I know money's tight in today's economy, but why have infomercials replaced Burns&Allen and Jack Benny on the weekday 8:00 am hour? Also, do we really need four hours of Shepherd's Chapel overnight?"

And this is a response I got:

"Hey you do know that running old commercials and PSA's does not pay the rent for them. Bitch all you want but a informmercial is good easy money for a TV station they are not going away. They do need to make money to stay on the air. "

The point is, I hate it when good channels go bad because of $$$$$$$ (like TVLand did)!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

"Hey you do know that running old commercials and PSA's does not pay the rent for them. Bitch all you want but a informmercial is good easy money for a TV station they are not going away. They do need to make money to stay on the air. "

You got that unprofessional of a response? WHO responded - anyone connected with the network in question? Wow - straight to the FCC.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 4:53pm
Pa, sounds like it was just the response of someone on the forum, not someone from the TV station.  I recall we've had similar conversations here.

However, I'm still at a loss as to who actually watches infomercials.  I'd much rather see a Burns and Allen rerun, myself.  So, I don't really know how these infomercials are moneymakers.  Sigh.  Then again, there's a lot about TV I don't understand.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 5:16pm
Yes, Thor - I understand if it was another board member, then expect an answer like that - which is why I asked who responded...but, just in case such a response was from the network, not that the FCC could, or would, do anything about it...but the attention wouldn't help that network and would bring attention to their practices.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 5:32pm
Yeah---I'd be pissed if the network replied like that!! 

My experience, when I've written letters of complaint or sent suggestions to corporations, is that I'll get back a polite but dismissive reply.  I don't know which is worse---rude or dismissive?

I mentioned in another topic that I wrote to Red Robin about their removal of my favorite burger from their menu.  Here's the reply I got.  Note that there is nothing here that would tell me it's anything but a form letter.

Hello and thanks for your e-mail. We greatly appreciate your comments and feedback.

I’m so sorry we have removed one of your favorite menu items! As you know, we are constantly changing our menu to meet the needs and desires of our guests. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration when changing our menu again in the near future.

Thanks again for your e-mail and for being a Red Robin guest. We look forward to serving you again soon!

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Pa, sounds like it was just the response of someone on the forum, not someone from the TV station.  I recall we've had similar conversations here.

That is right, Thor. I got a response from another forum member: Someone who said he's worked 30 years in broadcasting. He said one of the first things he learned was: "Just remember that the programs are only fill between the real product, commercials."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 6:15pm

Yeah---I'd be pissed if the network replied like that!! 

My experience, when I've written letters of complaint or sent suggestions to corporations, is that I'll get back a polite but dismissive reply.  I don't know which is worse---rude or dismissive?

I mentioned in another topic that I wrote to Red Robin about their removal of my favorite burger from their menu.  Here's the reply I got.  Note that there is nothing here that would tell me it's anything but a form letter.

Hello and thanks for your e-mail. We greatly appreciate your   comments and feedback.

I’m so sorry we have removed one of your favorite menu items! As you know, we are constantly changing our menu to meet the needs and desires of our guests. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration when changing our menu again in the near future.

Thanks again for your e-mail and for being a Red Robin guest. We look forward to serving you again soon!

If THAT isn't simply the MOST POLITE AND VERY COMMON "F*Y*"!

I'd have to send a "Thank You for Your Rapid Response" (I always do) 'piece of kindness' note, in return...

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 7:04pm
Yeah.  She could've started off something along the lines of "Thank you...  Yes, other people have stated they miss the Parmesan Burger, too...", whether it was true or not.

Of course, that would've been downright patronizing.  But hey...I would never have known, and I would've come away thinking that they at least took my letter seriously.  LOL

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 12:27am
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

Well, this is what I wrote about a local station that runs classics of quality TV shows that TVLand USED to air:

"I know money's tight in today's economy, but why have infomercials replaced Burns&Allen and Jack Benny on the weekday 8:00 am hour? Also, do we really need four hours of Shepherd's Chapel overnight?"

The point is, I hate it when good channels go bad because of $$$$$$$ (like TVLand did)!

That's pretty much the responce at the TV Land forum.....w/o the curse words.Embarrassed The Mods there say they need Reality shows to pay the bills.
meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:11am
TVLAND bit the dust big time!  I remember 7-8 years ago you couldn't get this channel until alot of people called the cable company and requested it.  I was happy when we finally got it....now I wish they would take it back.    As for the other forum, I would tell the producer in the biz for 30 years that the "real product" may be their idea of TV, but the "fill" is what keep people watching TV not the commercials.....who do you know that turns on the TV to just watch commercials.    This is why so many people buy DVD sets of the classics. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:31am
Hey, hey, hey!!  TVLand is still good on the weekends!  Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, Gunsmoke.  Can't think of a better way to spend a cold, rainy winter Saturday.

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 4:11am

Hey, hey, hey!!  TVLand is still good on the weekends!  Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, Gunsmoke.  Can't think of a better way to spend a cold, rainy winter Saturday.

Those are good, but they keep showing this same block of shows over and over.  There used to be ALOT more classic shows along with these on all the time. Now most of the time all they have on are movies or reality, reality, reality. 
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 10:33pm
I found 'Hogan's Heroes' by accident this week on TVLand, at 5 PM Pacific/8 Eastern.
mst3k4evr View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:15pm
TVLand got the rights to air the show starting this month so it's here to stay (for now, anyway).
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:30pm
I was pleasantly surprised to have discovered that this weekend.  Now, they just have to work on getting F Troop.  In my mind, those two shows have always gone together. 

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:54pm
If the 'brain trust' at TV Land can get some actual classic shows back on their schedule, then maybe they won't get transferred to the Russian front after all!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic