Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TIDE detergent - Lying Mom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coastwizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIDE detergent - Lying Mom
    Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 2:19am

I've recently been annoyed by a TIDE detergent commercial that I felt was sending the wrong message.

It shows a teenage girl asking her mother if she has seen her green blouse. The screen shows the Mom having a flashback to where she (the Mom) is wearing the blouse while she's out partying and gets something spilled on it that leaves a stain. No big deal right? Just tell your daughter you borrowed it but will clean it right away with your great TIDE product…nope. The (dragged out, hard-partying) mom in the Commercial lies to her daughter and implies that she has not seen the blouse ("that's not really my style"). I guess from some morally bankrupt point of view, implying a lie doesn't count as really lying.
The commercial goes on to show the Mom washing that bad stain out of the nice green blouse with the great TIDE detergent. The ending has the daughter being asked by her deceitful Mom “Oh, I see you found your top”. Daughter: “Yeah, must have been hiding in my closet”.

What kind of message does Proctor and Gamble think they're sending to the mothers and daughters of the world? It is O.k. to lie to your children, yet you raise your children not to lie to you? This commercial message is ultimately wrong and misguided. I am not sure who P&G hires to do these commercials, but the marketing department for Proctor and Gamble should realize this is not the message their Company or brand should be portraying and reject it.

Stand for something or fall for anything.
Sponsored Links

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 2:34am
Why can't her mom get her own Green Shirt?
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Legoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 9:31pm
What a selfish parent, who would use their own kids clothing, if they actually would fit in them.
clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 4:15am
This kind of reminds me of a episode of Gilmore Girls where Rory and Lorelai get in a fight over one of them borrowing the others clothes.
jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Legoman Legoman wrote:

What a selfish parent, who would use their own kids clothing, if they actually would fit in them.

Well maybe if the daughter's not working and the mama paid for them she felt entitled...Wink
My 19 year old daughter said that if she were able to fit into MY clothes she would shoot herself! OUCH!! Confused
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 4:46pm
This one really bothers me, too. Even though I know it is more popular nowadays, mom's wearing their teenager's clothes is wrong.  The mother shouldn't act, dress, etc. like a teenager.  An example of this is like Lindsey Lohan and her mom.  Someone needs to be and adult and not their child's friend.  Or, on a lighter level, buy your own clothes appropriate for your age and lifestyle (I don't think the shirt fits the mother very well). 
MarcE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:30am
It is not only the mother/daughter commercial. The other one is the dad who sneaks eating BBQ with his kids and tries to foul the mother by using Tide to clean his shirt. Apparently he is not supposed to be eating that kind of food.

Even the kids know that he is in trouble, but that doesn't bother the dad, because TIDE will fix everything...HENCE, telling the kids that it is OKAY to pull this kind of thing on the mother.

That's a nice message to send your kids.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

This one really bothers me, too. Even though I know it is more popular nowadays, mom's wearing their teenager's clothes is wrong.  The mother shouldn't act, dress, etc. like a teenager.  An example of this is like Lindsey Lohan and her mom.  Someone needs to be and adult and not their child's friend.  Or, on a lighter level, buy your own clothes appropriate for your age and lifestyle (I don't think the shirt fits the mother very well). 
^^^^^ This.  Also, I think it is damn disgusting that these commercials glorify lying to and manipulating your family members.  Narcissism and lying are not traits that should be happily condoned.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:04am
That's the entire idea behind this POS ad. LOOK MOMS YOU CAN STILL GO CLUBBING AND WEAR YOUR DAUGHTERS CLOTHING LOL! It's all about ego stroking, and very little about the actual stain fighting thing. Also, I'm so tired of people buying into this "booster" crap. Are we REALLY supposed to buy detergent, AND this extra stain fighter? No thanks, if my regular detergent can't do the job then it's not worth buying.

I do want that lime shirt though.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 4:26am
Maybe the ad is implying that there were other stains than the wine.... LOL

Why, if that mom hadn't used TIDE with it's superduper cleaning action, the ad might have gone something like this:

Daughter (thinking):  "That's strange, how did these grass stains get on the back of my blouse?  They weren't there before.   And what's this crusty stuff?"  (Thinks longer)  "Eeewwww!  Mommmmmm!"

(This alternate ad brought to you by Acme Sanitizer Shredders - For all your clothing shredding needs)
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:41pm
There is an English expression "mutton dressed as lamb" Nothing so unattractive as a woman, of a certain age, running around and acting/dressing like a teenager. a little class goes a long way.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:56pm
Mom really borrowed that shirt?  It's pretty ugly.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Mom really borrowed that shirt?  It's pretty ugly.

LOLLOLLOL That's what I thought, too!

On another note, my mom used to take my clothes all the time. I really wouldn't have minded if she had asked me. I understand that some of these things were bought by her, but it's still a matter of respect - when you respect someone, you ask before you "borrow" their things, no matter where they might have come from.

But something must have happened to a couple of them, because I would see her wearing something of mine, and later I would ask her where it was because I wanted to wear it. A few times she would say, "What [insert clothing item]?" and then I would say something like, "Well, I saw you wearing it, so I thought you might know where it is," and she would still pretend like she'd never seen it before!AngryLOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 5:15pm
LOL

I think if my father had ever thought of borrowing my clothes when I was a teenager, it'd have been to burn them.  Damned raggedy bell-bottoms!!

Likewise, if I'd ever borrowed any of his, it'd have been for Halloween.  Damned yellow leisure suits/white shoes/white belts!!  LOL

Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 11:10am
Yeah, I'd burn those clothes if she were my mom. She's just...gross.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 2:05pm
When my father died, he bequeathed me about eight 3-packs of BVD briefs that I still wear.  Brand new.  The used stuff got thrown out (I was close with him...but not that close LOL).
maxholman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxholman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 2:51pm
http://forums.commercialsihate.com/smileys/clap.gifThank you, thank you, thank you. All I see when I watch this is deceit being reinforced. I was actually shocked when I watched this "it's not really my style, honey...buy lying is".
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 5:17pm
I hate this commercial. The mother practically gave herself away by saying that the shirt wasn't her style. Anyone with an IQ above headcheese would be able to smell a rat after hearing that line. It would imply that the mother considered wearing the shirt and that she's been snooping around her daughter's closet.

Plus, what's with the mother going clubbing like she's one of those "real" housewives? Can you say 'cougar'? Ecch!
belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 6:10pm
I can't believe how many comments it took before someone finally commented on how hideous that shirt was.  Why on earth does either one of them want to be wearing that shirt??  The makers of this commercial couldn't find an actually stylish cute shirt where it wouldn't be a departure from reality to think both might be wanting to wear it?  Also, I really hate the music that's playing in the background during the club scene.  What is that???  You would not hear that in ANY club!
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:05pm

The shirt is fugly, but why in the ding dong dell does the mother have LEATHER pants on? Yes, scroll back up and look when they're strolling past the roach coach - you can get a good shot of them here. I mean, come on you old scoundrel - leather pants???

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:12pm
They might even be plastic or rubber!  That makes her even more of a rascal.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:33pm
And maybe even a scallywag!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 1:33am
Yes.  A scallywag, or perhaps a slattern, too.

I was hoping to call her a rapscallion (which I think I got from either a Cheers episode or Animal House), but I looked the word up and decided it wasn't quite right.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:53am
Originally posted by belc0011 belc0011 wrote:

I can't believe how many comments it took before someone finally commented on how hideous that shirt was.  Why on earth does either one of them want to be wearing that shirt?? 

Maybe colorblindness runs in the family.... LOL
flychinook View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flychinook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 7:08pm
My question: Why was the daughter still looking for the shirt two hours later?? Does she have no other shirts??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic