Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's wrong with this picture?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's wrong with this picture?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 4:48am
This pic, downloaded from one of those free graphics websites called dazzlejunction.com, was used on a little flyer that was posted in various spots & on bulletin boards around the hospital where I work part time.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a bit odd that a graphic encouraging people to show pride & respect for the American flag would depict it.....

IN A DOG'S MOUTH????????????? ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

HELL - OOOOOOOO????????....Einstein......

.....it's in an effing DOG'S MOUTH for cryin out loud!!!!! WackoWackoWackoWackoWacko

The American flag is not even supposed to touch the ground & these fruitcakes have some mutt chewing on it. You just know the thing is soaked & dripping with slobber & there are probably a bunch of teeth holes in it..... give him another minute & he'll have the thing ripped to shreds.

Pride & respect my ass!!!!

I suppose next year, they'll show someone wiping their ass with it.

Morons.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 5:54am
I looked at the website offering that graphic:

"Amazing Layouts"
"Glitter Graphics"
"Free glitter and 3D text"
"Pimp Your Page"

I guess I just don't expect much from a website that tells me I can "pimp" my page.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 4:01pm
True.

I know it was well meaning & all, but the very idea that there are people nowadays who are so clueless about something like that is a bit unsettling.

In the "old days", nobody would've ever dreamt of putting something like that out for public consumption.

Just one more bit of evidence that people are becoming ignorant of little things that used to be taken for granted.

But then again, maybe it was our taking them for granted that resulted in the current state of affairs.

Anyway, I sent them an email in which I basically copy/pasted the above post & let em know what for.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 4:20pm
I agree.  But I think the internet has cheapened a lot of things (including, but not limited to, the flag) by making them easier to access and easier to dispose of.  Also, with Photoshop and the like, images of the flag are easy to alter.  Thus, things have become cheapened.

I remember, after 9/11, everyone printing out images of the flag from the internet and taping them to their office walls/cubicles/computers.  Most of those were probably eventually tossed into the garbage.  So, the question is---what constitutes a flag nowadays?  Can a paper flag be considered a flag?  How about an image of a flag on a computer?  I'm sure I've "deleted" many of those.  Is an actual cloth flag the only real flag?

So, what I'm saying is, can we really expect people to respect the image of the flag, when it's become so disposable? 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 5:39pm
Well, tossing a paper print out of a flag is one thing.... they've been making those little miniature hand-sized cloth flags stapled on to wooden sticks for ages & they all eventually get tossed in the trash too....

I was mainly commenting on the contradiction of a graphic that encourages people to show respect for the flag emblazoned across a picture of something that shows total DISRESPECT for it.

How many people intent on showing respect for the Amerrican flag would let their dog get ahold of it?

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 6:56pm
I don't know whether this picture angers or saddens me. Heck, it did both.

What dumb, ignorant  sonovabeech created this? Probably the same moron who thinks his red, white and blue bathing trunks over some beer gut make a patriotic statement.

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 8:04pm
Can one still buy an American flag made in America nowadays?
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 8:52pm
Judging by the way my Mikey drools it would be messy AND disrespectful!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 3:32am
Somebody thought they were being cute & clever, but obviously had no clue as to the protocol involved in handling & caring for the American flag.

Now, I'm sure the people who created that graphic would argue "Welllll.... it's not a real flag for cryin out loud!!! Relax!!!!"

To which I'd reply "DUHHH!!!"

But it still DEPICTS distrerspectful treatment of the flag & therefore, is unacceptable.

Nothing against dogs either.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Got a 2-pack at WalMart last year for a few bucks.  Smaller in size.  They were made in NJ---Roseland or something, maybe??

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:31pm
The flag my Husband was given at his citizenship ceremony was made in Japan!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Just got *two* (made in USA) carefully shipped from AfgyLand, with certificates (they were flown in battle), from oldest son.
'Dog' poster is a downright idiotic disgrace. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 3:00pm
It wouldn't have been bad at all if they had depicted the dog holding the POLE in it's mouth with the actual flag itself hanging free.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 3:06pm
It almost looks like a rejected LL Bean catalog cover.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 3:09pm
And why a Labrador?  Isn't that Canadian?  Oh well---at least it wasn't an Afghan or an Akita or a German Shepherd or a Russian Wolfhound.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 3:15pm
I'm surprised you didn't mention the Chihuahua. Wink 

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 3:51pm
My oversight.  I guess we are sort of at war with Mexico.  Or they're at war with us.  Or something.

I would've liked to have included some Viet Cong dog, too, but I couldn't think of any.  I guess I could've said "gorilla", or any dog named Charlie.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I would've liked to have included some Viet Cong dog, too, but I couldn't think of any.

Here's some....

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 4:24pm
Thanks for those pics, Jimbo.  Unhappy

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 4:45pm
OMG!!!!! ShockedShocked

Have I actually managed to gross-out "Mr. Gross-out" himself????? ShockedShockedShocked

One helluvan accomplishment, there!!! LOLLOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 5:23pm
No.  Not grossed out.  If I was, I would've used the Dead smiley, which says "dead", but looks more like "grossed-out" to me.  Instead, I used the "unhappy" smiley.

I'd say "disgusted" is more like it.  Fine line, there, maybe.  But it's more about the idea of killing dogs for food than it is about being grossed-out at the sight of it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 7:28pm
The least those bastards could do is remove the head & the tail so it doesn't look so Fido-ish.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 10:39pm
LOLI'll have a little dark meat off the side, with horseradish sauce...you can have the butt(hole) all to yer bad'ol self, ol'Mule! Want some brown gravy?
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Here's some....

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic