Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of subtlety in game shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lack of subtlety in game shows
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 10:45am
I'd like to know what you think about the subject of subtlety in game shows, or lack of same. Reason I ask is because I've heard that a lot of today's "game shows" (if you could call them that) have very little in the way of subtlety; rather, we see contestants jumping up and down, screaming like banshees, doing handstands, everything just to get on camera. Back in the day, when people won on game shows, they didn't flaunt it, and they were very respectful of their opponents, like Thom McKee of "Tic Tac Dough," for instance. When he won that big match over Pete Cooper, the two just shook hands. Nowadays, contestants rub it in their opponents' faces, jump up and down over winning the big money or a car or anything else, etc. Unfortunately, this is what producers want/demand, and it seems to leave a bad social commentary; they don't want the old-school, disciplined people like McKee. "TPIR" is very bad about this; if you don't show a willingness to act like a jerk on camera (jumping up and down, etc.), you won't get called down.

That's my take on it, and now, I turn it over to you; I'd like to know where you stand on it.
Sponsored Links

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:05am
Since all I watch are Wheel and Jeopardy I don't see that behavior. It would probably annoy me as well though. I think it's a reflection of life- hasn't pretty much all facets of life degraded into that sort of behavior? It seems there are no manners anymore.

I recently left a cookout because we had to get home in time for my son to write out his "Thank You" cards for his birthday gifts. When I told my friend why we were leaving he gave me a very odd look, as though the thought of sending Thank You cards was a foreign concept to him.
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:15am
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Since all I watch are Wheel and Jeopardy I don't see that behavior. It would probably annoy me as well though. I think it's a reflection of life- hasn't pretty much all facets of life degraded into that sort of behavior? It seems there are no manners anymore.

I recently left a cookout because we had to get home in time for my son to write out his "Thank You" cards for his birthday gifts. When I told my friend why we were leaving he gave me a very odd look, as though the thought of sending Thank You cards was a foreign concept to him.

Good point. There's no subtlety in anything anymore, you're right about that.
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:50pm
I have noticed that. I sometimes, watch the older game shows on GSN. The ones now-a-days will act crazy. Wish that it was back like it was back then.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:24am
Everyone needs to express their emotions nowadays.  It makes it more exciting and, of course, we all have to be excited.  It goes with all the quick cuts and fast editing in baseball and basketball commercials.  Gotta make it look like some wild event.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 2:24am
I dunno.... I used to watch "Let's Make A Deal" with Bob Barker back when I was a kid & as I recall, those people acted like nuts even back then.

But I don't watch game shows at all nowadays, so I wouldn't know.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:05am
If you don't act like an overexcited loon, you won't have a chance of getting picked to be a contestant, as those are the (interesting) people that the game show producers are looking for.  ("Which one should we pick?  The William F. Buckley. Jr guy, or the Ross Mathews guy?")  And your odds go up if you are female and have a bouncy chest....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 5:08am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

And your odds go up if you are female and have a bouncy chest....

Here's a clip of Vanna White as a contestant on The Price is Right in 1980.

"Vanna White!  Bounce on down!"

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I dunno.... I used to watch "Let's Make A Deal" with Bob Barker back when I was a kid & as I recall, those people acted like nuts even back then.

Do you mean Monty Hall?
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 2:14pm
But Thor, it cut out before we found out who won the workout equipment...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Do you mean Monty Hall?

He must.  Monty Hall was always the host for Let's Make a Deal, I think.

I remember Bob Barker from Truth or Consequences when I was a kid.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm

But Thor, it cut out before we found out who won the workout equipment...

Vanna certainly didn't need it.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:35pm
I remember an incident that occured on "Let's Make a deal" that involved a Contestant that won a "Zonk" Prize. The Curtain opened to reveal an old, broken down "Conestoga" Wagon that the Contastant had "Won". It was a policy that those who had the misfortune of "winning" Zonk Prizes had the option of receiving a Consolation Prize instead (Usually $100 back in the 1960s) However in this case the Contestant wanted the Wagon. It turned out he ran a Day-Care center and he figured the kids there would love having the wagon to play on. That's when the fun began, as it turned out the wagon was worth more than "The Big Deal of the Day"!Shocked You see, the wagon was the real thing, it dated from the 1800s, and had been loaned from a Museum, that had it insured for over TWENTY GRAND! (Bear in mind this was the 1960s, when the "Big Deal" was most likely a Chevy Impala or a simular Luxery Car, which retailed for around $5,000.00 back then.) Needless to say when the fellow found this out he INSISTED he get the Wagon, the Bucks it was worth, OR ELSE!LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 4:50pm
Neat story!
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:14pm
I have noticed some game shows have really obnoxious contestants (the nighttime version usually; the syndicated version had pretty normal contestants), but some seemed naturally excited, like those on "The Price is Right" or "Let's Make a Deal".

"Jeopardy!" contestants are usually very composed even when they win tens of thousands of dollars. I have noticed a few female contestants get a little emotional, but not over-the-top, just a little teary-eyed.

On the other hand, I've noticed "Wheel of Fortune" contestants are extremely boring, at least in the bonus round. Someone will win $25,000 or so, and they act like it's only $500 or so. Hell, give me the 25-large, and I'll do backflips across the set!
The poster formerly known as producer757
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:44pm
We kind of started thinking of 'The Maury Show' as a 'gameshow'.

We try to figure out who the winner is for the girl who does the best 'run to the back and purposely falling face first on the floor', when she finds out she made a public ass of herself finding out "He ain't 'da baby daddy"....

The 'winner' gets remembered.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

I have noticed some game shows have really obnoxious contestants (the nighttime version usually; the syndicated version had pretty normal contestants), but some seemed naturally excited, like those on "The Price is Right" or "Let's Make a Deal". 

I guess it would help if I actually described what I was talking about... ConfusedEmbarrassedWink

I meant "Deal or No Deal"...the primetime version irritated the hell out of me. The daytime version was more tolerable.
The poster formerly known as producer757
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:23pm

Since all I watch are Wheel and Jeopardy I don't see that behavior. It would probably annoy me as well though.

Those are the two I watch. Lately, I've been noticing this stupid, annoying trend on Wheel - when someone wins, it's like it is MANDATORY to high five the other players. If I wasn't on the receiving end of a grand during the Toss Up, I'd high five the winner right in the nose. It's that whole "touchy feely"  "We're all winners"  bullsh*t that kills any competition.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:36pm
I would imagine that being able to act excited and giddy and overcome with emotion would be part of the audition process for some of these game shows.  Look at how giddy the contestants on Family Feud always are.  It just seems unnatural. 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I would imagine that being able to act excited and giddy and overcome with emotion would be part of the audition process for some of these game shows.  Look at how giddy the contestants on Family Feud always are.  It just seems unnatural. 
 Even though a family member comes up with some gawd awful wrong answer, the others are all "good answer....... good answer!" Instead of "wtf were you thinking with that answer??"Wink
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Even though a family member comes up with some gawd awful wrong answer, the others are all "good answer....... good answer!" Instead of "wtf were you thinking with that answer??"Wink

Yeah! Grandpa should be yelling "You're out of the will!" LOL

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 2:59pm
"NAME THE TOUGHEST MONTH OF A PREGNANCY?"

"SEPTEMBER."

Good answer!!
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 3:49am

I guess it would help if I actually described what I was talking about... ConfusedEmbarrassedWink

I meant "Deal or No Deal"...the primetime version irritated the hell out of me. The daytime version was more tolerable.
I agree Deal or No Deal just got really annoying with the contestants and their cheering sections constantly hamming it up like it was freakin' amateur hour at the bar. It go to the point where you wanted to see them lose just so they would get the hell out. I mean I do agree winning money is a big deal and you should be excited but it's like every other second of the show was devoted to these morons and their overexcitable behavior.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 3:20pm
That reminds me of why I sort of stopped liking Johnny Carson's routine "The Edge of Wetness." It would involve showing people in the audience while he described soap opera characters, so that it would seem like the audience member WAS the soap character. And during most of its "run," they would almost always look surprised and embarrassed to be on camera, especially during these descriptions - "This is ----- ----, the town loose woman." - so if they were "plants," or were told ahead of time, they didn't LOOK like it. But along the way, they started using really conspicuous-looking people, who would wave and make faces in a really practiced way while the camera was on them. Somehow it took half the fun out of the thing.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:58pm

Grant, your scenario reminds me a bit of "America's Funniest Home Videos"  where they would show a clip or maybe a series of clips of videos. while amusing, they aren't the guffaw, knee slapping, tears streaming down the face HILARITY that the posed audience member they zoom in on at the end makes them out to be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic