Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sears Optical: Woman letting racoon into house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sears Optical: Woman letting racoon into house
    Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:20pm
I don't why but this ad is being overplayed so much that if I see it one more time my brain is gonna jump out of my skull and flee in terror from this commercials stupidness (that should be a word).

the phrase "Come snuggle with mama" and seeing the racoon for 999,999,999th time is grating on my nerves, plus that phrase repeated for the 999,999,999th time is really ticking me off like "I'm going to take a rocket launcher to the TV" kind of ticking me off.

Plus the babytalk in this ad is torture to my ears, believe me, showing this commercial 100s of times to a terrorist suspect will make him talk believe me it's THAT bad. Angry

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:10am
I'm sorry you have to see this so much and I'm sorry you don't like it...but I love it, I think it is one of the funniest commercials on TV right now. 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:16am
It's a good one.  
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:22am
I like it.  But I haven't seen it in a long time.  I remember it from a few years ago.

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:29am

I also find this one funny.  It's too bad though, because I hate Sears since they sold me a defective refrigerator and won't take any responsibility for it.  So no, I won't be buying glasses or anything else from there ever again!

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:48am
Raccoons are so cute!
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 3:03am
I have pretty bad vision without my glasses and even i could tell a f**kin raccoon from a cat.
IceFroggyFrog View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceFroggyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:38am
I thought it was kind of funny, but I only saw it once on tv. I love raccoons, not sure if you're supposed to be freaked out by the ad but I'm not (I know, it's a wild animal and could have rabies, but whateva), but it's still funny.  Maybe if it was a skunk it would be a little more alarming.
not quite human View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not quite human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:56am
Not only is she blind as a bat, she will now be rabid like one too. Wink
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by IceFroggyFrog IceFroggyFrog wrote:

Maybe if it was a skunk it would be a little more alarming.
I said earlier that this commercial was out a few years ago.  But, now that you mention it, the one I was thinking from a few years ago, had a woman calling the cat in, but due to her poor vision, let a skunk in.  That one might've featured an older woman. 

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 3:04pm
Unless this is a baby raccoon, there is a MAJOR difference between an adult racconn and a cat. An adult raccoon has an ass the size of a car trunk. They're HUGE.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 3:32pm
I'm sorry, I think it's very funny.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Unless this is a baby raccoon, there is a MAJOR difference between an adult racconn and a cat. An adult raccoon has an ass the size of a car trunk. They're HUGE.

Yeah.  But another difference is the way they move, which should be evident with or without good vision.  Raccoons have a sort of hop in their gait.  Cats are smoother in their movements.

MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 5:08pm
I think this commercial is stupid... like others said unless she was blind as a bat your telling me she can't figure out thats not a cat?
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by IceFroggyFrog IceFroggyFrog wrote:

Maybe if it was a skunk it would be a little more alarming.
I said earlier that this commercial was out a few years ago.  But, now that you mention it, the one I was thinking from a few years ago, had a woman calling the cat in, but due to her poor vision, let a skunk in.  That one might've featured an older woman. 

I think I remember that one.

Of course the obvious reference comes from Adventures In Babysitting when Shue's friend is stuck at the bus stop and loses her glasses then subsequently tries to befriend a kitty cat, which turns out to be a rat...
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 5:56pm
What I want to know is, where is the smug disapproving husband?  Shaking his head with his smug, my wife is an idiot look.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

Raccoons are so cute!

Yes... from a distance. Close up they are dangerous, filthy, and the ones we have around here are probably big enough to at least eat children. This commercial and the idea of one of our local raccoons getting into my bed gives me nightmares! Dead
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

What I want to know is, where is the smug disapproving husband?  Shaking his head with his smug, my wife is an idiot look.

No no no, you know they can't do that in a commercial! Now if it were the other way around, well of course.

My best friend's cousin had a problem with a raccoon several years ago. He waited by the side of the garage and shot it with an arrow, and then because he is one of those out doorsy types, he skinned it for the pelt bu chucked the leftovers into a white plastic garbage bag (anyone who has thrown out leftover spaghetti sauce, for example, could picture what that looked like), and put it out for the trash man. It so happened that his three year old son was sick at the time and hadn't been seen by the neighbors in a while.

Yes, the police were involved... and he got a ticket for killing the raccoon.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:56pm
They don't bother me at all.  I used to get one on my patio that I was convinced was friendly (famous last words).  He'd stand on his hind legs, and rest his front paws against the window (I have a wall of windows there)...and just look in.  He didn't seem vicious at all, but I didn't want him to get used to the idea of coming around either.  So, I left him alone.  He stopped coming around after a few days. 

When I lived in SF, one day on the way home from work, some Haight St street kids had a really young raccoon (maybe just a foot long and 5lbs) trapped in a doorway.  He had somehow emerged from a backyard, and they were afraid he was going to run into the street.  They asked if I would help.  I don't know what they wanted me to do that they couldn't do, but they picked the right guy.  I tried to get him into a box, but he wasn't going for it.  So, I just picked him up.  He clung to me for dear life.  Someone opened a walkway to the backyard, and I let him down.  He knew right where to go.  Cutest damned thing.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:49pm
The only reason I didn't start a thread on this was because I wanted the video!
This one is a 'gut buster'; I love it!
Then again - it isn't overplayed, around here.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
NancyJ2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJ2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 6:58pm
There is a slightly longer version that runs occassionally (twice so far) in my area.
It shows the woman in bed and the raccoon stretched out at the end of the bed. 

The raccoons that come to my door have destroyed screens, gnawed on the deck railings and leave feces on the stairs.  Not cute cuddly creatures that I want in my house, but I still like the commercial.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by NancyJ2010 NancyJ2010 wrote:

There is a slightly longer version that runs occasionally (twice so far) in my area.
It shows the woman in bed and the raccoon stretched out at the end of the bed. 

The raccoons that come to my door have destroyed screens, gnawed on the deck railings and leave feces on the stairs.  Not cute cuddly creatures that I want in my house, but I still like the commercial.
Welcome Aboard and THANKS for the wonderful story! (I'm not joking!)
Made me immediately think of the 'NoTell Motel' that MissyDWolf and Myself regularly frequent when we go see our Pups that live down in a certain part of Texas.
Yea - it is a 'Motel 6' and full of (due to be) 'short-life spanned' drug-addled idiots and prostitutes, but it IS clean and quiet...and not too far from a few of the kids (and the whores are cute!).
Again, the rooms are clean and we aren't banned...BUT - there ARE raccoons!!! I don't know how many times we have watched some raccoon family crawl into the dumpsters and around the tossed-out mattresses. The raccoons and us? well, we know each other by name, I think - to each other we kind of wink, wave, and go about our merry ways...

Anyways...I's be likin' mees som 'Coons!

'Coons be Cool.

Unless they O.D.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:28pm
From The White Trash Cookbook:

Roasted 'Coon
Parboil the ‘coon in salted water to cover, adding carrots, onion and celery if you desire, for 30 to 60 minutes — depending on the size and age of the raccoon. This helps remove some of the excess fat in the tissues. Drain and dry, then stuff with apple-raisin stuffing*, skewer and place on a rack in the roaster, ...

(The site's link for the full recipe wasn't working.  Sorry.)

There's also recipes for skunk.  You're on your own for that.  LOL

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:52pm
I'm not trying to change the minds of those who don't like this one, but this commercial isn't any sillier than most.  Of course she would have to be blind not to tell the difference, but isn't suspending belief and reality part of many commercials.  For example, I love the Super Bowl commercial with the guys in a car with a shark laying between them, but isn't that just as unrealistic as the cat/raccoon?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

From The White Trash Cookbook:

Roasted 'Coon

I'm gonna have ta report ya fo' 'dat, Bro!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic