Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Super Bowl Commercials :: 2010 Superbowl Commercial Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDisney - Alice in Wonderland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 3:57am
I can't stand Burton(except for the two Batman films he directed) or Depp. He's not good looking at all IMO.
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
Sponsored Links

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 4:15am
I adore me some Johnny Depp
Even though he supports Polanski.
But, what can I do? No one is perfect, but Johnny Depp is quite cool.
And has lovely cheekbones. I rather like the combination of Burton/depp
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
ShinyGreenApple View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinyGreenApple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 5:45am
Call blasphemy if you like, but the Burton films that annoy me most are the Batman ones. Blargh.

I don't find Depp attractive, but I respect him as an actor and he's done some very memorable roles. I just think he's been making awful choices lately, not least of all the Mad Hatter. And a FOURTH Pirates? Good grief I enjoyed the franchise for what it was but let it die with a little bit of dignity.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 2:56am
Originally posted by ShinyGreenApple ShinyGreenApple wrote:

Call blasphemy if you like, but the Burton films that annoy me most are the Batman ones. Blargh.

I don't find Depp attractive, but I respect him as an actor and he's done some very memorable roles. I just think he's been making awful choices lately, not least of all the Mad Hatter. And a FOURTH Pirates? Good grief I enjoyed the franchise for what it was but let it die with a little bit of dignity.

If this is a rag on the horrible horrible 90's movies of Batman, then I'm going to have to agree with you here. Those were downright STUPID. Unhappy
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Originally posted by ShinyGreenApple ShinyGreenApple wrote:

If this is a rag on the horrible horrible 90's movies of Batman, then I'm going to have to agree with you here. Those were downright STUPID. Unhappy

No, from before then, the ones from 1989 and 1992 respectively. Much better than the Schumacher ones.
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 6:26am
I haven't read through all the replies so I may be posting an unpopular opinion, but I'm really looking forward to this film.
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 12:19pm
It looks great but I'm confused as to why  it's a sequal....
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 1:07am
There are two books, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (aka Alice in Wonderland) and Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Saw There. The movie briefly mentions the first one and takes the characters from the second one. It doesn't really seem like it follows the stories of the books (from what I remember) but I did like the movie. I actually thought it too light to be considered Tim Burton and since it wasn't overly dark and gory and creepy I was able to enjoy it:)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 8:39am
My thoughts on it were that it appears Burton played it a little safer than usual.
Perhaps that is what some don't like. They figure Burton would really "flavor" it the way he does his interpretations of things and when he plays it straight it throws people off.

On the other side I feel others are expecting the dynamic absurdity of the Wonderland Disney interpreted in the cartoon version.
We enjoyed it a lot yet both saw where there would be things that people would complain about.

I suppose the closest thing would be that it was such a straightforward story that it at times almost seemed like a fantastic movie where the Lewis Carrol characters happened to be worked in.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 11:54pm

We saw it last night - pretty darned good!

We really enjoyed it.

Jero, you are correct - Burton played it much safer than usual.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:26pm
I'm a purist when it comes to the original story (and also have a copy of The Annotated Alice. Awesome!) Haven't even seen the Disney version.

I think this looks like fun eye candy, which makes me want to see it, but I'm also a movie snob and can't stand the overinflated prices around here ($10+ and apparently went up again.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic