Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Super Bowl Commercials :: 2010 Superbowl Commercial Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDodge Charger - Man's Last Stand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodge Charger - Man's Last Stand
    Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:22am
This is a great ad showing all of the things that men have to give up / put up with / sit through in order to be good husbands to their wives. The Dodge Charger is supposed to be the man's reward for all his good and patient behavior!

I still don't think my wife would want me to drive it.

Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:30am
YES that was a very well done commercial!!!

It's rare that a commercial takes a mans side of things without them looking like a jerk or being arrogant but this commercial does it very well.

I'm glad Dodge has the balls to put this commercial on the TV f**k the PC crowd, this commercial rocks!ClapThumbs%20Up
Thumbs%20Up
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:32am
After about the third face, I had to hit the MUTE button, but I watched until the Charger showed up.

Then I clicked over to see what was on the Discovery Channel, before clicking back to the game.

I owned a real Dodge Charger once. Wish I still did. A 1969 model. The classic version of the several years of the car, IMHO.

This modern "thing" with the Charger name plate is NOT a Charger! At least, the new version of the Challenger really does look like a classic Challenger. Not identical to the classic Challengers, but you can tell what it is just by looking at it.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:36am
Huh?
That ad was kind of annoying... If I was a wife, i wouldn't nag a guy about half of those things.
Maybe not peeing on the toilet seat, but I'd politely tell him not to do that because sitting in pee is gross.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
punchthetv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punchthetv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 5:08am
Way better than the stupid KGB commercial catering to women......
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

Huh?
That ad was kind of annoying... If I was a wife, i wouldn't nag a guy about half of those things.
Maybe not peeing on the toilet seat, but I'd politely tell him not to do that because sitting in pee is gross.

I agree, Synethesia.  Most of that stuff is so unimportant.  However, men ought to know to lift the seat before peeing.  Even when I was much younger, I wouldn't have put up with a guy who didn't know better.  (Putting it back down is another story.)
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:50am
"I will be pussywhipped beyond all recognition."
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:50pm
The list of things the guy will do was too long.  The car, however, is beautiful.  Not as nice as the Challenger, though. 

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 2:25pm
I rented a Charger a couple of years ago to go to North Carolina for a wedding.  I normally drive a mini-van.

On the way home, in the middle of nowhere, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I got the only speeding ticket in my 57 years. 

The cop said I was going 84 in a 55 zone. 

Had no idea.  Felt like 35.  I think it could have gone 130.
applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:22pm
I hated this ad. Just as I hate ads that portray all men as dumb idiots, I hate ads that portray women as bitches. If your life sucks so bad, pal, that you have to give it all up to make your woman happy, a car isn't going to make it better. It's such an OBVIOUS ad that I guess it's as much a dumb man ad as a bitch woman ad, which makes me hate it twice.
What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by applepiemommy applepiemommy wrote:

I hated this ad. Just as I hate ads that portray all men as dumb idiots, I hate ads that portray women as bitches. If your life sucks so bad, pal, that you have to give it all up to make your woman happy, a car isn't going to make it better. It's such an OBVIOUS ad that I guess it's as much a dumb man ad as a bitch woman ad, which makes me hate it twice.

Well said, AppleMommy!
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by applepiemommy applepiemommy wrote:

I totally agree!
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Legoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The list of things the guy will do was too long.  The car, however, is beautiful.  Not as nice as the Challenger, though. 

It should of been about the challenger.
Isnt this the only American car maker that was in the superbowl?
 hyundai stole everything ugh
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:20pm
heh, "I will watch your vampire tv shows with you"
about 5 guys in the room, including myself, chuckled at that part
Lucky444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:22pm

Well, it really rubbed me the wrong way & this is why:

Here are a bunch of depressed looking men who feel outrageously oppressed by their jobs (since they are corporate slaves to the capitalist machine that creates this type of commercial, ironically enough), their wives (the eternally resented 'mother' figure), and their lives in general...but oh, goody, Dodge Charger will be their last hurrah!
All it takes is owning this one car to escape the HELL that is your life.

Not only are the marketing geniuses at Dodge privy to this weakened state of mind, but they have no problem exploiting this vulnerability by knowing exactly which buttons to push on the defeated souls of American men in order to sell a car.

They are catering to the masses...The men who are slaves in cubicles the majority of their lives & look forward to a few lousy weeks of so-called freedom per year if they're lucky.... Or divorced men who aren't allowed to see their beloved children even when 25%, or more, of their salary goes to support a family they no longer have.

Men who will never have the financial security or freedom to have all they dreamed of in life as little boys ...and let me tell you, it didn't include a Dodge Charger.

Since I've stopped watching television several years ago, I think it's made me more sensitive to the insidious way marketers try to get inside our heads, since I never see commericials (saw this one online)...and it really ticked me off!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:23pm
it sells cars
Lucky444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:27pm
"it sells cars"

Yeah exactly...that's what makes me nuts.  If people (in this case, men) were content in their lives...truly content...this crap would not work. 

At the same time, study after study shows that the constant marketing rammed down our throats is a huge contributor to our feelings of discontent. 

Always bigger, better, faster, more etc.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Lucky444 Lucky444 wrote:

Since I've stopped watching television several years ago, I think it's made me more sensitive to the insidious way marketers try to get inside our heads, since I never see commericials (saw this one online)...and it really ticked me off!

Then, you might like the article that Yutolia linked in the off-topic section:

Lucky444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:30pm
Also...their faces looked so empty and defeated...really sad, actually.

Man's last stand?  More like his last hurrah.
Lucky444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:33pm
Hi Thor ~ Thanks for the article.  Wow, just the photo with the woman's face covered up makes me cringe.  Such depersonalization.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:37pm
it is a shame, but yours is  more of a philosophical/sociological argument. It is hard to rally against a corporate structure that exists based on the state of the world it exists within.
Lucky444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:29pm
"it is a shame, but yours is  more of a philosophical/sociological argument. It is hard to rally against a corporate structure that exists based on the state of the world it exists within."

I see your point.  And I guess I give these powerful organizations way too much credit by thinking they would have a conscience and DO something about it...instead of exploiting the reality that exists.

Then again, look at the Dove corporation that put out those ads with representations of the *average* woman being turned into an air-brushed beauty before our eyes.  They also incorporated women with many different body types into their ads...Hanes did this also, I believe.  But wow, they sure are in the teeny-tiniest percentage of powerful companies working a little harder at not making us feel like inadequate schleps!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 11:49pm
....ehhhh...horrrrrshiiiit, Wilbur. I gotta do all that stuff, anyway. Might get me the chance to drive the 'Blackillac', once a week....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Lucky444 Lucky444 wrote:

Well, it really rubbed me the wrong way & this is why:

Here are a bunch of depressed looking men who feel outrageously oppressed by their jobs (since they are corporate slaves to the capitalist machine that creates this type of commercial, ironically enough), their wives (the eternally resented 'mother' figure), and their lives in general...but oh, goody, Dodge Charger will be their last hurrah!
All it takes is owning this one car to escape the HELL that is your life.

Not only are the marketing geniuses at Dodge privy to this weakened state of mind, but they have no problem exploiting this vulnerability by knowing exactly which buttons to push on the defeated souls of American men in order to sell a car.

They are catering to the masses...The men who are slaves in cubicles the majority of their lives & look forward to a few lousy weeks of so-called freedom per year if they're lucky.... Or divorced men who aren't allowed to see their beloved children even when 25%, or more, of their salary goes to support a family they no longer have.

Men who will never have the financial security or freedom to have all they dreamed of in life as little boys ...and let me tell you, it didn't include a Dodge Charger.

I agree. Hell's holy bells, if I was those men with their kind of money, I'd quit my cruddy job after saying money and run off to some island with my wife and never mind buying an expensive behind car that would just take me to that cruddy job.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
fascinating View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fascinating Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:34am
I really hated this commercial a lot. Since the collective male ego has been marginalized by the economic situation as well as by other commercials/sitcoms that send this kind of message, corporations like to kick them while they're down to make a buck. I agree with lucky, and think that this commercial, if you really think about it, IS VERY "PC" because: if you are simply a jaded husk of a man as a result of our nightmarish corporate system and an airheaded trophy wife, the system celebrates a win!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic