Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Super Bowl Commercials :: 2010 Superbowl Commercial Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFocus on the Family - Tim Tebow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focus on the Family - Tim Tebow
    Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:50pm
I don't get it!
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:54pm
BLEGH! 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:30am
I liked it. That said...much ado about nothing.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:36am
Quote Topic: Focus on the Family - Time Tebow
    Posted: Today at 6:50pm

Why did his mother, after choosing not to abort him, then name him "Time"?

Odd.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:50am
They just said "Time runs out on the first half."  Did Tebow do that?
not_a_dumb_dad View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not_a_dumb_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:01am
eh.

because of the uproar about it, I expected something along the lines of 'Unlike the godless liberal heathen Democrats, I chose to keep my baby!'

wouldn't have surprised me in the least if it had been something like that.
Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:13am
My local AM talk station in Los Angeles got a copy late last week and played it one time. They played interviews about it before playing the ad spot. Even then, it seemed "much ado about nothing", as ThreadKiller mentioned earlier.

But as the host mentioned on the radio show, after playing the spot, it opens the door for more political spots (in the Super Bowl) in the future.

Blah!Tongue
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 3:19am
I didn't mind it...
What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:31am
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

My local AM talk station in Los Angeles got a copy late last week and played it one time. They played interviews about it before playing the ad spot. Even then, it seemed "much ado about nothing", as ThreadKiller mentioned earlier.

But as the host mentioned on the radio show, after playing the spot, it opens the door for more political spots (in the Super Bowl) in the future.

Blah!Tongue

Yes, but apparently only their side of politics.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:35am
Actually, Faith, the radio show specifically mentioned that this ad opened the door for Planned Parenthood, and others of that ilk,  placing ads in the future. And not just about abortion, but other issues as well.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:40am
Yeah, you're right.  Although Planned Parenthood didn't have the money to run an ad during the Superbowl.

This is the second time I can think of that CBS (not sure if it was the Superbowl) refused ads of a more liberal bent.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:05pm
Thumbs%20Up
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 5:10pm
Nothing offensive from what I saw. It was certainly better than the POS moveon.org sneaked into the 2004 Super bowl via the Local TV Slots. (They did this after CBS Refused to carry their Ad.) Many Advertisers, knowing their Ads contain offensive material will do this because the Local Stations don't have the money to take on any Legal Challenges the advertiser may toss their way if they refuse to carry the Ad. This is why you see things like "ED Pill' Ads aired during Childrens Shows!Angry

(It was during the 2004 Super Bowl I began questioning WHY was I paying for the "Priviledge" of watching TV, you all know what I did three years later!)LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Legoman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:38pm
the news had so much to say about it before it aired, the mom was talking to low for me to understand what she was saying. It didnt bother me, i had no clue what she was saying lol
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:18pm
wow the left needs to pick their battles a lot better... (speaking from the left) this was a rather uneventful if not thoughtful ad.
"waaah they shared their beliefs and wanted to share it in order to convey the message that theirs is right and others are wrong! "

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 2:39pm
Feminists are "NOW" pissed-off over the violence in this commercial.  They say that Tim tackling his mother promotes violence against women.

from Terry O'Neill, president of NOW:

"I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it. That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

No statement issued about the violence against Betty White in her commercial. 

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 5:24pm
Well, it's not nice to tackle your mother... or old ladies.

I don't really care, but I HATE Focus on the Family so much!
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
blue View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 6:30am
I thought it was kind of sweet and harmless.
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:49am
I kept waiting for the rebuttal commercial featuring some grief stricken father who would tell the tale of convincing his wife to go through with her pregnancy when they had the same diagnosis only to watch his baby anguish in pain until it finally died in her arms and then she went crazy and took an overdose of pills a month later.

Never saw it though.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Feminists are "NOW" pissed-off over the violence in this commercial.  They say that Tim tackling his mother promotes violence against women.

from Terry O'Neill, president of NOW:

"I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it. That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

No statement issued about the violence against Betty White in her commercial. 

It's not the violence they're really complaining about. You KNOW they wanted to complain about the whole abortion issue, stating that it's a woman's right to choose, blah blah blah. Well, Mrs. Tebow chose to have her baby instead of kill it...doesn't that constitute as a woman's right to choose?
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:46pm
When I went to bible college back in 91 we were often met with the standard anti abortion dialogue one would expect at a conservative Christian college.
One morning at chapel this highly respected and nearly revered minister was guest speaker and was talking about hot button issues and the church. He then said, "God, is pro choice"
The sound of an administration and 500+ kids choking back bile and discomfort was telling.
He then went on further to talk of free will and Christ taking ownership of the keys to life and death from the devil during the "three days" and so on.

Needless to say the campus was divided that day and that moment was talked about and referenced for the rest of the year.

One of the greatest moments of my time there.
I witnessed a man of God who thinks.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:25pm
Well, supposedly the Bible refers to the unborn as humans and "children".  And combined with "Thou shalt not kill", I can't see how a minister or priest or rabbi could put forth the pro-choice sentiment.  Otherwise, from what I understand, the Bible doesn't say anything about abortion per sé.  The only pro-choice argument I've ever heard from the standpoint of the Bible is that God gives us free will.  But that argument doesn't mean he approves.  We have the free will to do all sorts of things---it doesn't mean it's all OK.

So, from a religious or Biblical standpoint, I don't see how abortion could be considered OK.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

It's not the violence they're really complaining about. You KNOW they wanted to complain about the whole abortion issue, stating that it's a woman's right to choose, blah blah blah. Well, Mrs. Tebow chose to have her baby instead of kill it...doesn't that constitute as a woman's right to choose?

That's why they didn't bother with the fact that Betty White was tackled, too.  Had White stated she was anti-abortion, they'd probably have complained about her commercial, too.

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well, supposedly the Bible refers to the unborn as humans and "children".  And combined with "Thou shalt not kill", I can't see how a minister or priest or rabbi could put forth the pro-choice sentiment. 

And yet the church supports pro-war candidates. I thought war killed humans and children as well?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:39am
You might wanna do some research on the translation and meaning of "Thou shalt not kill" (has to do with killing versus murder).  In addition, the Bible found just grounds for numerous wars.  It never said that war was never justified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic