Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dr. Richard Kimble.... what a friggin moron.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dr. Richard Kimble.... what a friggin moron.
    Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:33am

Ever since RTN (Retro Television Network) has begun broadcasting in my area, my daytime TV fare has included (along with Cannon, Streets of SF & Kojak) the original 60's version of The Fugitive starring David Janssen.

Now, this show was considered to be amongst the cream of the prime time drama crop when it was in production, & it's a treat to see many of the top actors & actresses of the time appearing in guest roles.

The writing insofar as the dialog is concerned is first rate, too.

But this show, suffers from the old "unlikely plot scenario" malady that so many TV shows have suffered from over the years.

In order to steer the plot in the desired direction, the characters have to engage in unlikely, illogical behavior.

Take this Dr. Richard Kimble for example.

Here's a guy on the lam from the law. His trial was the OJ trial of it's day, all over the news nationwide, as well as his conviction, death sentence & the circumstances surrounding his escape.

His picture is in newspapers & on wanted posters in every police station & post office in every little town he goes to.

And how does he "disguise" himself?

He dyes his hair black.

That's it!!!!!!

No glasses, no moustache, no beard, no hat, no shaved head.

Nothin but black hair instead of grey.

And he always wears a damn suit & tie!!!! Unless he's at some blue collar job of course. But as soon as he's off the clock at the warehouse or trucking company etc., he's back in the tweed jacket, white shirt, black tie, slacks & dress shoes.

In other words, an outfit that screams "I LOOK LIKE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!"

He could be walking across the Arizona desert in 115° heat & he'd have the same get up on.

Then there's the fact that he's constantly sticking his nose in business that calls attention to himself.

And instead of going to big cities where he could lose himself in the crowds, he goes to small towns where strangers stick out like a sore thumb.

The guy was a complete idiot.

Everyday, I'm sittin there yelling at my TV....."NO!!!!! You f**king retard!!!!!!! What the hell are you doing that for?????? I hope they catch your ass & send you to the electric chair you friggin clown!!!!! It would serve you right for being so f**king STUPID!!!!!!!!!"

How he ever got to be a doctor, I'll never know.

Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 1:01pm
Don't get me started on the Superman/Clark Kent ruse. Lois Lane had to be the dumbest  person on earth. LOL
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 1:24pm
LOL
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Don't get me started on the Superman/Clark Kent ruse. Lois Lane had to be the dumbest  person on earth. LOL

What about Commissioner Gordon on Batman?  Could he not recognize over the phone that Bruce Wayne and Batman were one and the same person? 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 2:51pm
You all are absolutely right about Superman & Batman, but what makes The Fugitive so annoying is that this was a supposedly serious, realistic drama.

In a superhero tale one can excuse such things because it's all in the realm of fantasy & surrealism anyway, but Kimble was supposed to be a real person in real world situations that the viewer could imagine him/herself in.

I realize that if he'd disguised himself better it would've been more difficult to come up with weekly scenarios in which he was recognized by someone & put in danger of being caught. But on the other hand, had the writing been a bit more advanced, maybe they wouldn't have had to rely on that same old "Kimble gets recognized & barely escapes from the law at the end of the hour" premise every week.

Maybe they could've concentrated more on the personal relationships he developed & occasionally using his medical knowledge to help some sick or injured person which they often did anyway.

The guy acted almost like he was daring them to catch him.

But that kind of hole in the plot was common on TV shows back then.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:40pm
You're right Jimbo.  Dramas from the sixties and seventies seemed so real and complex at the time, but when watching them today, they seem simple.

I think Hill Street Blues began the trend toward the good shows like St Elsewhere, LA Law, NYPD Blue, etc. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:18pm
I agree re: HSB.

That show was a real departure from what had been around up to that point.

I'm sure it would still hold up today. In a way, NYPD Blue is basically just Hill Street Blues revisited.

Slightly modernized.

And with nekkid butts.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:29pm

No, I think it's the other way around. She at least suspected something was going on (sometimes). Everybody else had no clue at all! LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:38pm
Now that you mention it, that's exactly right.

Lois was on to him the entire time.

But she was also in love with him, so she was paying closer attention. Wink

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 8:10pm
...and Jimmy Olson??? Wasn't he the poster-boy for 'Jerry's Kids'?

Unthinkable plots?

Perry Mason.
Need I say more?

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 1:54pm

Or related to Ricky Ricardo. That guy was too damn dumb to be able to tell it's his wife in a phony mustache in just about every single episode.

And I don't know but after The Fugitive movie the whole rest of the show just seems pretty redundant.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:28pm
Well, in Superman's defense, it was a children's show.  I don't remember at what age I started to wonder why no one recognized Superman and Clark Kent were one and the same, but it may not have mattered, anyway.  After all, I already had accepted the premise that a man can fly and have super powers, so the fact that no one realized Clark and Superman were the same person was a moot point.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

And I don't know but after The Fugitive movie the whole rest of the show just seems pretty redundant.

I think you might be referring to the 2nd more recent incarnation of that show.

The movie with Harrison Ford & Tommy Lee Jones was made in the 90's & there was a 2nd modern era series in the early 2000's.

The show I'm talking about was the original series from the mid 1960's.

Another thing about that show I find lacking was how he was supposed to be on a quest to find the one armed man, but he never actually did anything to try to find him. All he did was travel around from little town to little town working at crappy jobs & getting recognized everywhere he went because he was TOO FRIGGIN  STUPID TO WEAR A BETTER DISGUISE!!!!! Angry

Knucklehead.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Or related to Ricky Ricardo. That guy was too damn dumb to be able to tell it's his wife in a phony mustache in just about every single episode.

I think Ricky was always on to Lucy's disguises.  If anyone was the dumb one, it would have been Lucy---for thinking Ricky would fall for it all.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well, in Superman's defense, it was a children's show.  I don't remember at what age I started to wonder why no one recognized Superman and Clark Kent were one and the same, but it may not have mattered, anyway.  After all, I already had accepted the premise that a man can fly and have super powers, so the fact that no one realized Clark and Superman were the same person was a moot point.

True. Like I said above, in the case of a comic superhero tale thigs like that can be excused because it's all fantasy anyway.

In real world type dramas one expects a bit more realism.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:34pm
I'd like to see reruns of The FBI.  I used to love that as a kid, but I wonder how realistic it would seem today.  One thing I recognized as being wrong, was that every car in that show---even ones just parked on the street as part of the scenery---were Fords.  Of course, Ford was their sponsor, so...

Dragnet, on the other hand, never seemed realistic.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:38pm

See if you get the RTN in your area.

It's possible they might run it sometime.

I loved Dragnet. I could watch it right now even though you're right about it not being realistic. Just something about the feel of that show & the time period, etc.

Same with CHiPs. I NEVER watched that show when it was in production, but a few years ago when I still had my satellite dish, I used to find myself wide awake at 3 am trying to find something to watch on TV.

I got into watching CHiPs & found that I kinda liked it.

Stupid as it was.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

True. Like I said above, in the case of a comic superhero tale thigs like that can be excused because it's all fantasy anyway.

In real world type dramas one expects a bit more realism.

I remember having a Superman comic in which the readers were invited to "discover" the mistakes and incongruities in the issue.  Now that I look back, it seems that that one came out around the time that realism became important in entertainment.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

See if you get the RTN in your area.

It's possible they might run it sometime.

I loved Dragnet. I could watch it right now even though you're right about it not being realistic. Just something about the feel of that show & the time period, etc.

Same with CHiPs. I NEVER watched that show when it was in production, but a few years ago when I still had my satellite dish, I used to find myself wide awake at 3 am trying to find something to watch on TV.

I got into watching CHiPs & found that I kinda liked it.

Stupid as it was.

I'll check for RTN.  Unless it's new, I'm pretty sure it's not part of my cable package.

The last Dragnet episode I watched (in reruns about 10 years ago) had David Cassidy as a drugged-out juvenile delinquent.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:29pm

I'll check for RTN.  Unless it's new, I'm pretty sure it's not part of my cable package.

Ahhhhhhhh..... but it's not a cable channel. It's over the air digital broadcast.

Looks like there's one in your general vicinity KRON-DT in SF.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:54pm
Alas.  Don't get KRON in the Sacramento area.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 5:06pm
Because this is a digital broadcast, you might if you have either a TV with a built in ATSC digital tuner or you get one of those converter boxes they're selling all over the place right now.

I don't know, but I'd think that you'd be within the broadcast range (80 miles +/-) with a decent antenna. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 2:36pm
I dunno how that stuff works.  I know that Chico, which is quite a ways further from SF than I am, gets KRON.  Sacramento has its own stations, which I guess can block the signal from KRON.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 2:53pm
They are expanding very rapidly. The one here just began earlier this year.

Contact the RTN (via the website) & ask them if & when they plan to start up an affiliate in the Sacramento area.

Tell them you're friends with the Governator & if they don't get on the ball, he'll pay them a visit.

It's a pretty good station if you like the old cop & detective shows.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic