Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOX Cuts Commercials in 2009!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOX Cuts Commercials in 2009!
    Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:38pm
According to http://mediapost.com FOX will debut two new shows in March, 2009 with only FIVE MINUTES of National Commercials per hour instead of the usual 10-12! The shows scheduled to be used in this "Experiment" are Fringe, which is described as a Sci-Fi Drama and another Show called Dollhouse. It will be interesting to see how this will work out. Will the shows get higher Ratings because people will notice the shorter Commercial Breaks? or will the Network blow it by allowing the Local Commercial Time Slots to take up the differance (Or even worse bombard us with more "Pop-Ups, Scrolls and Banners)Confused

Only time will tell!
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 7:25pm
Doesn't the 'usual 10-12 minutes' of ads per hour  include the local as well as national ads?
My guess is they'll do more banners during the show. I actually don't mind those as much, and I almost wish they'd stop making conventional ads altogether and just use on-screen logos(epecially during sporting events).
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 2:22am
Let me get this straight...FOX is going to do this new experiment of fewer national spots ONLY on its new shows, and not on the existing lineup?  If FOX would hire competent writers to replace Executive Producer Mike Scully and his ilk on The Simpsons, the people behind that classic show could get back to telling compelling stories of Homer and the gang like they did in the 1990s without worrying about when to insert act breaks in the scripts.  These days, the humor seems forced, as if the producers are trying to throw every possible gag into the mix.  The forum www.jumptheshark.com has an entire thread devoted entirely to The Simpsons (which I don't think is coincidence, since Rupert Murdoch's News Corp owns Jump The Shark as well as the FOX Network). 
IHaveStandards View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHaveStandards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:06am
I'll respectfully disagree with BrianO about the banner ads, if you mean those little promos in the lower corner of the screen promoting another show. TNT does this to a truly annoying degree, and the ones they run for NASCAR and The Closer are truly distracting to the show they're running on. It seems as though they might run different (and larger) ones in HD broadcasts because they have more screen real estate to work with, but it's almost like another whole mini-show going on down there.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 7:49pm
Well, I agree the TNT banner ads are annoying, due to their size(and the fact that 90 percent of them are for either 'L & O' or 'The Closer', even if they aren't showing 'The Closer' that particular week, and Kyra Sedgwick looks like several miles of unpaved highway dotted with swamp-dwelling roadkill!)
Compared to those, Fox and NBC aren't quite so bad.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 4:21am
I think you will instead see more stuff crammed in your face, like product placements. I have been seeing more of them than ever in the last 2 years, and not just the conveniently placed Coke can, but more like the ones where somebody is preaching about all the features that their new car has. I believe in time, the popups that you see will become a constant thing, something similar to a news crawl, but larger and more intrusive.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 8:28am
Yeah, I've noticed that on police procedural dramas, if they find a suspect's car, they might mention its make and model name, or give a plug to OnStar or Garmin, if a GPS needs to be mentioned.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:43pm
My guess is that FOX's decision has less to do with having fewer commercials than it does with luring people into watching those new shows.  It's kind of like Comcast's pitch for their high-speed internet services:  "First 6 months for only $19.99 per month".  Then, like Comcast, once FOX has you, they return to business---and commercials---as usual.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 4:25pm
Knowing FOX what this means is we'll have more stupid crap like pop-ups and bugs on the bottom of the screen.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Knowing FOX what this means is we'll have more stupid crap like pop-ups and bugs on the bottom of the screen.

They already started in Indianapolis, with McDonald's pop-up ads appearing at the bottom of the screen during syndicated broadcasts of The Simpsons
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic