Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Internet Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shakeable iPod ad wrecks iPod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shakeable iPod ad wrecks iPod
    Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 12:20pm
I have an iPod Touch, the first Apple product I've ever owned. Smile I like it a lot. One of the applications I have is called I.TV, which lists current TV listings, also local movie theater listings, and other functions. It is a "free" application, which supports itself via small advertisements in the listings.

A few days ago, my iPod got slammed with some painfully annoying ad for Levi's Dockers. I've nothing against Dockers, I've owned a few pairs. But this ad was "shakeable", meaning that if you shake the iPod while the ad is running, it makes the idiot on the screen "dance".Dead Or at any rate, that was what was supposed to happen. It has wrecked the i.tv application in my iPod.Ouch The ad still runs when I start the app, but is now just a black screen with a blue CONTINUE button, and when I touch the button to continue to the TV Listings, sometimes the application shuts itself off. Other times, I can see the TV listings and scroll through them, but when I click on a particular show to see more details, again the application commits suicide. I just sent i.tv a "nasty-gram" email asking them to help me fix it.

I did some Googling about this ad, and all the ad sites are praising this bit of badly written software as the "world's first shakeable ad!!!!!", like it was as earthshattering and entertaining as the first Budweiser Frogs ad.

There have to be some of you CIH forum members who, like me, own an iPod with the i.tv application. Have you seen this stupid ad, and has it caused trouble with your iPod?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Sponsored Links

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 11:32am
A short addendum to the above: I was able to get the i.tv application running, after doing a total shutdown and reboot, three times, of my iPod. One reboot is usually enough for a schizoid application to be straightened out. The all black ad, with the blue CONTINUE button is still there, but goes away when told to do so. I'm still annoyed, and the Dockers ad that started it all is still wildly annoying. If i.tv had a paid subscription mode, I would take it. I like the service. But I HATE that type of ad that takes over the iPod that I bought and paid for. The machine belongs to me, not to them. If they do it again, I'm considering dumping them and finding an alternative. And yes, I told them exactly that.

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 5:46pm
Hurm. That's why I got some old Dell DJ which is nice and simple and doesn't do anything but play beautiful music.
I love it. Plus it only cost me 80 dollars too.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:48pm
wow...now we are not 'iPOD People' - probably more out of ignorance than anything else, but, for some odd reason, I've never pictured 'iVIRUS'. Think i'LL avoid those things. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 11:19am
It certainly acted like a computer virus, Pa, but the problem is that those jerks wrote it that way. Incompetent programmers and a lack of real world testing is how that happens. Although I've Googled on my problem, and it doesn't seem to happen very often. There is probably one little tiny typo glitch in the code that gets triggered by some combo of events, and I just got "lucky".

As for playing music, it does that too, although I owned it for more than six months before I bought my first song. I use it more as a very portable computer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic