Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drake's Cakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drake's Cakes
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:06am
I did a dumb thing several years ago.

I wrote to the makers of Hostess products and told them that their products paled in comparsion to Drake's products.

In my opionion Ho Ho's are so much more bland than Ring Dings.

So guess what happened?

You got it.  Hostess bought out Drake's.

Now the quality of Drake's is already going down hill.

The Ring Dings are actually still good.  But the Devil Dogs and the Yankee Doodles are dry and stale tasting.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:10am
Whenever I visit NJ, I make sure I get a box of the Devil Dogs.  Sometimes, even pre-Hostess, they'd be dry.  Gotta check the date.

suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:02pm
My favorite were Funny Bones.Thumbs%20Up

Drakes also made a peanut-butter cream version of Ring Dings.  Those were pretty damned good, too!Clap
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:29pm

The store I shop at sells Funnybones.  I haven't seen the ring-ding shaped version of it, though.

An oft-repeated field trip of my youth (this would usually be with a girl scout troop, or similar group) was to the Continental Baking Company in Natick, MA.  They'd actually take tour groups ~through~ the factory, and we'd see Twinkies being made.

The Family Guy had an episode once where the family went to the Twinkie Factory in Natick.  It brought back memories....
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:26pm
I think I too had a field trip to the Natick plant.
We also went to the WISE chips plant another year.
was feeling nostalgic
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:50pm
I love Funny Bones but haven't had any in years. Remember when Yodels were wrapped in that blue and silver foil? I think they used to use a darker chocolate, too. And Ring Dings were the size of a Frisbee (so it seemed).  Boy, am I suddenly craving some Drakes!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:12pm
From back in the day when snacks were politically incorrect:
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:11pm
Another old east coast regional favorite of mine was Tastykakes.  The pies ("Watch for pits!!"), the Coconut Juniors, the TandyTakes, the KandyKakes, the Butterscotch Krimpets (but not the Jelly Krimpets---those sucked!!)...so f*ckin' good!!

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:16pm
I don't actually like Drakes or Hostess snack cakes. Always too dry, and too sweet.

I can't stand Little Debbies snack cakes, they're horrible. Too much hard coating over stale, poorly made cake.

I enjoy Entenmann's snack cakes, but my favourites are made by Tastykake.

That's one of the joys/sins, of living in this area. Tastykake are delicious and very fattening.
One man gathers what another man spills
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:19pm
Yeah, Jimmy...the Drakes cakes can be dry, but the cream (OK, cream-like filling, aka "creme"  LOL) in the center of the Devil Dogs and Ring Dings makes it all OK with me.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:54pm
Entemann's cakes are always delicious. Who hasn't eaten the entire top off of one of their crumb coffee cakes?

I also like Sara Lee poundcake with FRESH whipped cream (don't even think of handing me Cool Whip) and whatever fruit looks good - peaches, bananas, strawberries. Oh yes!

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I did a dumb thing several years ago.

I wrote to the makers of Hostess products and told them that their products paled in comparsion to Drake's products.

In my opinion Ho Ho's are so much more bland than Ring Dings.

So guess what happened?

You got it.  Hostess bought out Drake's.

Now the quality of Drake's is already going down hill.

The Ring Dings are actually still good.  But the Devil Dogs and the Yankee Doodles are dry and stale tasting.

So this is all YOUR fault!!!AngryTongue

I'm surprised that there are other Funny Bones lovers out there. I LOVE them! But in regard to the Hostess/Drake merger, I have noticed the quality of the snacks going down. I bought a package of Sunny Doodles a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how small they are now. When I was little, they used to look like normal sized cupcakes; now they're really tiny. To add insult to injury, they've raised the price, too!AngryAngryAngryAngry
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:14pm
Damn!  I LOVE Drake's cakes and wish I could get them here--though I guess I should be glad I can't.  But you're right, Thor.  The Devil Dogs may be dry, but that cream filling!  And TastyKake chocolate cupcakes (and pies, and Krimpets . . . ).

I do remember when Ring Dings were HUGE.  Then they called the smaller ones Ring Ding Jr.  But now the Jrs are Ring Dings.  No more frisbees. *sigh*

Oooooh, wait.  I'm going to Boston on Friday.  Can I get Drake's there?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:33pm
I think you can get Drake's on-line.  Sorta takes the magic right out of it though, doesn't it?

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:36pm
Now I want a pack of Yankee Doodles and ice cold milk.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think you can get Drake's on-line.  Sorta takes the magic right out of it though, doesn't it?

Yeah, it does.

My-T-Fine Chocolate pudding!  Can't get that out here either.  It is THE chocolate pudding.  None others come close.

Damn, now I want some!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

My-T-Fine Chocolate pudding!  Can't get that out here either.  It is THE chocolate pudding.  None others come close.

Damn, now I want some!

I did a product locator search, Faith.  And nope---not available within 10 miles of either my or your zip code.  Coulda sworn I've seen it at Big Lots, though.

suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yeah, it does.

Damn, now I want some!

My mother always made My-T-Fine chocolate pudding when my sister & I were kids.  She never made Jell-O brand pudding.  I remember her cooking it on the stove & putting plastic wrap over it.  The plastic would have traces of the pudding on it.  We always ate it warm, never cold.  It was always a big treat to eat this.Smile
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 2:52am
Back in the 70's I sent my brother a carton of various Drake's cakes products because he loved em and they weren't available in California, where he lived, in those days.

By the way, I scanned this picture in directly from the box. LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 3:19am
Wow.
Didn't know Hostess picked 'em up. Around Albany, it seemed strange Drake's products were sold at Stewart's Shops - no Hostess....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

From back in the day when snacks were politically incorrect:

Probably made by the same folks who made the Ah! Fudge candy bars, as explained in the Simpsons episode where Troy McClure appears in the chocolate factory film--as well as a grinning character who looks suspiciously like Chief Wahoo--the Cleveland Indians mascot. 
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

...FRESH whipped cream (don't even think of handing me Cool Whip)....

Anyone want to hand Madawee some Cool Whip, just to see what happens?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:54am
Disclaimer: Sorry forumadmin, I didn't feel like recreating this whole topic all over again, so I rose the old one from the dead.  It should still be fresh and new to those whom have not searched the annals to see it.

What are now called Ring Dings are what used to be called Ring Ding Jrs.
The original Ring Ding was about as big as the palm of your hand.
Then they came out with the current size, which were sold concurrently, and they were called Ring Ding Jr.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic