Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There's absolutely nothing on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Ryan Ferneau Ryan Ferneau wrote:

But wasn't PBS one of the UHF channels?

I think it was. I think they've always been on the UHF band.

For me it was always Fox on UHF.

Yeah, but during the prehistoric era we were going back to, there was no Fox network.

In the NY Metropolitan area in the 50's and 60's, PBS was on regular VHF TV (Channel 13, WNET).  It still is, I think.  Somewhere along the line, they also started broadcasting on UHF.

I used to watch WNET as a kid for the Nazi stuff.  Back then, we didn't have a TV that was even set up with UHF.

Sponsored Links

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

I LOVE Two and a Half Men!  It always makes me laugh.  Always.

One of the best episodes was, I believe, the first season's finale, when the grandmother insists on taking Jake for the weekend.  He totally breaks her.  Hysterical.

That episode was on 20 minutes after you posted about it, Faith.  Yep---Thursday night 11 pm.

Funny sh*t.  I was already laughing a lot, but at the very end, the brothers were talking about how Jake was like the golden child because he "broke" the mother.  He's on the couch watching TV with his back to them,  then tells them, "watch this,"  puts his hands up in the air, pulls his finger and burps.   That did me in.   (Potty humor always gets me.  Though not to the extent that YOU like it!)
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 10:58am

In the NY Metropolitan area in the 50's and 60's, PBS was on regular VHF TV (Channel 13, WNET).  It still is, I think. 

It still is. Thor, did you grow up in or around NYC?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

In the NY Metropolitan area in the 50's and 60's, PBS was on regular VHF TV (Channel 13, WNET).  It still is, I think. 

It still is. Thor, did you grow up in or around NYC?

Grew up in NJ, Mooch---in a town called Colonia (about 45 minutes from NY).  Used to go there pretty often with friends, though.  Before I moved to California in 1980, I was going into NYC for the punk clubs, like CBGBs and Max's Kansas City.

Last time I was in Manhattan was 2002.  One day, I'll get there again.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 2:33pm

(Potty humor always gets me.  Though not to the extent that YOU like it!)

Why is sh*t tapered at the end?
So your assh*le doesn't slam shut.

When I worked at a comedy club on Cole St, Faith, I saw 11,000 sets of comedy.  All sorts of good (and bad) humor.  Some worked, some didn't.  Potty humor never failed.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:12pm
I'm wondering, you've mentioned that fact before, & always the same number, 11,000. Did you have one of those clicker/counter things on your belt & everytime you saw a comedian finish his set, give it a click?

Just how accurate is that figure, anyway?

Cause I think you may be "fudging" it a little..... Stern%20Smile

(speaking of potty humor)

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:01am
Rough estimate, Jimbo.  Approx 17-20 sets of comedy per night (I worked mostly open-mike nights), 2 or 3 nights per week, for 5 years---plus all the other regular full-set shows I'd attend---minus the one or two weeks per year that I went on vacation. 

That's a lot of comedy!!  Great experience, certainly. 

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:24pm

Rough estimate, Jimbo.  Approx 17-20 sets of comedy per night (I worked mostly open-mike nights), 2 or 3 nights per week, for 5 years---plus all the other regular full-set shows I'd attend---minus the one or two weeks per year that I went on vacation. 

That's a lot of comedy!!  Great experience, certainly. 

Way off topic, but do you remember the funniest joke you ever heard during that time? 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 2:57pm
Hootman, jokes are actually pretty rare in comedy.  "Routines" are what comedians do, and a routine is funny as much because of the delivery as it is because of the lines.  One actual joke that stands out has been one of my favorites since I first heard it.  And it wasn't just the joke itself that was funny, but the audience reaction.  It was a delayed reaction that slowly built to a roar as people visualized it.  It was spoken by Kevin Meaney, who was great, but never got the fame he deserved, although he hasn't done badly.

What's black and white and can't turn around in a hallway?
A nun with a javelin through her head.

The place I worked at was called The Other Cafe, was located in the Haight, and previously had been a poetry reading place with a seating capacity of 49.  I used to crush 120 people into the club. 

Just today, coincidentally, I was notified about a reunion of the comedy club's comedians, staff, and owners!  I can't wait!  You can find my name mentioned in the last paragaph of this article:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:26pm
Kevin Meaney is a fukcing riot.

I used to have a buddy who was a big fan of his.

He'd always go around doing Meaney's signature lines where he was imitating his parents...

"Look at im, look at im, look at im..... wouldja look at im??????" "What's wroooong with yooou???" "Are you on the pot???" or "Get that puss off your face!!!" "That's not riiiiight!!!!" "You're like a crazy person!!!!"

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:14pm
Thanks for those links, Jimbo!!  One of the best shows I saw (on a night I wasn't working) was a Kevin Meaney performance.  He must've been on stage for 2 hours...and still had to do several encores.  I remember my sides still hurting the next morning from having laughed so hard.

Kevin Meaney, imitating a "typical" girl in a Massachusetts bar:  "Look!!  My tooth is loose!  See??  It's gonna fall out!  Kiss me!!"

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:23am
I remember growing up in Indianapolis at a time when there were only five channels--4, 6, 8, 13 and 20.  Channel 4 showed original programming such as Sammy Terry, who presented horror films on Saturday nights; Cowboy Bob, who played his guitar and had his sidekick puppet, Sourdough; and Janie, who introduced the children to old Popeye cartoons.  It wasn't until 1984 that Indianapolis got a new channel--59, which, at the time, was independent until its affiliation with FOX some two years later. 

Because I don't want to pay over $50 a month to Comcast for channels I'll never see, I'm content to use my tax refund check to buy my DTV converter box so I'll continue to see over-the-air programming.  Unfortunately, one day, the networks will farm out their scripted programming to their cable brethren while reality TV finally becomes a dying fad; and there will be nothing left on free TV other than news and America's Most Wanted.  Thor is right--TV is becoming a vast landscape! 
meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:50am
More about there is nothing on.  Many of us remember that about midnight or 1am when the Star Spangled Banner played...then after that, there was really absolutley nothing on.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:58am
Yeah, that was the signal to go to bed because this was on:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:27am
Like I said earlier people....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:44am
Anyone familiar with www.hulu.com?

Free TV shows (sans commercials) and movies on your computer.  Pretty new site, I think, so I think they're still adding shows to their site.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 4:14am

Free TV shows (sans commercials) and movies on your computer.  Pretty new site, I think, so I think they're still adding shows to their site.

I've heard of it somewhere. I think someone may have posted a link here at CIH before.

Anyway, this is from that site. It was just on SNL last Saturday. I was hoping to find a link to it somewhere so I could post it here.

Funny stuff.

Especially the first one.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 4:56am
I remember (vaguely) the MacGyver episode those skits were based on.  This was funnier, though.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:00pm

Yeah, come to think of it, it makes sense that they'd base their skits on actual episodes.

When I saw it last Saturday I was thinking "Damn I wish I could post a clip of that on CIH."

What makes those even funnier are the words to the theme song that kind of explain the plot scenario real fast before the final MAG-RU-BER!!!!!.

And the look on Kristen Wiig's face during that first one when his son told him who he was using the anal lubricant with was just classic. 

I really like her. She is very funny & talented. I hope she has a long career in films after SNL.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:19pm
From Wikipedia's list of problems MacGyver solved:

Flames End (1x13)

MacGyver rewires the panel of an electronically-timed lock so the oscillator counts down much more quickly, allowing escape from a nuclear waste disposal chamber before waste enters the room. He uses a dismantled revolver as a wrench to unblock a nuclear reactor cooling system.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:36pm
Whereas MaGruber would've just used a battery, a bottle cap & a tube of anal lubricant.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:31am

I use that one and this:
According to Jimbo's link, there is 1 affiliate in my state.......100 miles away, tho.Cry
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 12:02am
Thor, I used to go to the Other Cafe!  I loved it.  Except for when we had second-row seats and Bobcat Goldthwaite was onstage.  You did NOT want to be anywhere close to him, because spit and sweat would fly, and he'd climb onto the empty chairs in front!  I remember seeing Dana Carvey there, and there was a brother act--maybe Jan and Fran?  They did this thing with , "New news! New news!"

I also learned early on to stop telling the comedians I was from New Jersey.  Too many bad Jersey jokes!
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 7:32pm

Yeah, come to think of it, it makes sense that they'd base their skits on actual episodes.

When I saw it last Saturday I was thinking "Damn I wish I could post a clip of that on CIH."

What makes those even funnier are the words to the theme song that kind of explain the plot scenario real fast before the final MAG-RU-BER!!!!!.

What was that one line  last week...something about, 'He's heterosexual and gets lotsa poontang..MCGRUUUUBERRR!'LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:31pm

Thor, I used to go to the Other Cafe!  I loved it.  Except for when we had second-row seats and Bobcat Goldthwaite was onstage.  You did NOT want to be anywhere close to him, because spit and sweat would fly, and he'd climb onto the empty chairs in front!  I remember seeing Dana Carvey there, and there was a brother act--maybe Jan and Fran?  They did this thing with , "New news! New news!"

I also learned early on to stop telling the comedians I was from New Jersey.  Too many bad Jersey jokes!

Yep.  It's quite possible that I was the guy who took your money (for awhile, open-mike nights were changed to Bobcat nights---that is, $8 admission rather than $2).  I hope you behaved yourself and that I didn't have to kick you out.  Jeez, I think that was '83.  Were you in SF then?

Fran and Jan Solomita.  Nice guys.  Bobcat, too.  He used to tip all of the workers, including me.  $10 every night!  He had gone from being a nobody in Boston to being an overnight sensation in San Francisco.  Yeah, his show was intense.  There were a few near-fights at times when he performed.  The college kids weren't getting him at all.  They wanted him to be Sam Kinnison.

Dana Carvey was another very nice person.  I went to a few parties at his house when he and Paula Poundstone were roommates.

And yes---the Jersey jokes.  Which exit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic