Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best and Worst PSA's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Best-Indian pollution one from the 70's. Though it's staged...it's STILL good!

The actor is actually Italian:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/ironeyes.asp

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links

ThatOneAdWhere... View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatOneAdWhere... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 5:28am
Originally posted by keyboardplayer keyboardplayer wrote:

Does anybody remember a PSA from 1998 that showed a girl on meth cleaning obsessively and then scratching like crazy with this perky little song playing in the background? I think it's hillarious now because it was so bad, but it scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. My favorites are the ones that startle you because you're not sure what they're advertising until the end.

Yeah, here it is.

Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:00am
I enjoy the newest anti-drug PSA about "fitting in."  There are these scenes painted on huge canvases with a person-sized hole cut out where someone would be interacting with the scene.  This guy stands there and freezes in that position indicated by the hole and the canvas slides forward into him and he goes through it.  After three of these different scenes (typical teen activities like skateboarding are displayed) the last one is the cut out character accepting a joint, which this guy shoos away and walks off.

I thought this ad was really creative and I actually enjoy watching it each time it comes on.  Not sure how effective it is with its message, but it is cool.
IceFroggyFrog View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceFroggyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 5:10am
Originally posted by The Last Brain Left The Last Brain Left wrote:

This Canadian one is not for the queasy:

Oh, my God... What in the flying f**k?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 1:42am
Big%20smile This is a 4-for 1; the first is my All-Time FAVORITE PSA; the second in #3 on the list)LOL

My #2 favorite of this bunch

...and, of course...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 4:57pm
Here's a few great ones...and, as odd as they may seem, its getting easier and easier to recognize the sickening signs. Problem is, now victims appear more frequently.

Personally? I have '0' tolerance, when I see it with children - I'll jump in without any thought.   
                 MissyDWolf has a '0' tolerance with ANYONE, but approaches in a 'proper' manner, these days - she used to address these sorts of incidents with 'extreme prejudice' (very bad things were possible).

...but wait! There's MORE!

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 7:27pm
There are two PSA's that I've been looking for for several years that I can't find anywhere on the web. One was from the Ad Council reminding parents to keep their guns locked and unloaded and out of reach of kids. It had a little boy talking about finding his dad's gun and shooting his brother. Very disturbing.
The other was from the PDFA. Nobody remembers this one when I describe it, but it used to freak me out because the music was creepy. The radio ad went like this:
Creepy Voice Announcer: Ask a sixth grader what a pipe is, and they'll say,
Little kid with a happy little voice: It's where water goes through.
CVA: Ask a seventh grader what a pipe is, and they'll say,
Another kid with a dead-serious voice: It's where marijuana smoke goes through.
Creepy voice comes back on with statistics about the increase in drug use between sixth and seventh grades.
The TV version demonstrated it visually with no audio except the music and the creepy guy reading the statistics. If anyone knows where I can find these ads, I'd appreciate it.
This is your brain on commercials.
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 9:54pm

You didn't see this unless you lived in Tennessee, but this was part of my childhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3oZqFOBXc

sherrah012 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrah012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 2:34pm
I love Tennessee trash!
One of my local channels still shows this sometimes... (I live in VA, but they're TN affiliated too, so I s'pose that's why.)

'Cause they ain't no lower class than Tennessee trash!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 10:16pm
That "V. D. Is For Everybody" tune is almost impossible to forget (besides, like some PSAs, it kept making comebacks until much later). Like some "lilting" Judy Collins type song!
I mentioned it on another thread, but there was one with the character actor Len Lesser (of Seinfeld and a hundred other things), about preventing burglaries by thinking like a burglar. But, it started with him saying "If you don't want a burglar breaking into your home, maybe you should see things from his point of view."
Right away, it sounded like some stereotyped "coddling the criminals" line (like something out of a Mallard Filmore comic strip!). So it got your attention, and then of course, it put across the actual message. At the end, it showed Lesser in a cell, because he was playing a burglar.
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 11:05pm
Tennessee Trash is awesome. I didn't know until recently that it was Ed Bruce singing.
This is your brain on commercials.
PrinceJ View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrinceJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 12:55pm
There was another commercial that used to bug me.  In it a subway mugger was being interviewed and he is saying how glad he is that his victims make it so easy for him to steal by wearing expensive jewelery and carrying cash and so forth.  So I guess if you are mugged, it's all your falult and the poor mugger was reacting to overwhelming temptation.
"Even an old fart was once a breath of fresh air"
The Last Brain Left View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by keyboardplayer keyboardplayer wrote:

This was before my time, but does anybody remember "VD is for everybody"? I wonder how many kids thought VD was something good, and wanted it.

How about "VD gets around"? Ahhh, the 70's, before herpes and AIDS. Too bad I was way too young to appreciate it. I used to sing this song as a little kid because I had no idea what it meant and they played it during Saturday morning cartoons!

I don't remember "VD is for everyone", but here it is:

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by sherrah012 sherrah012 wrote:

I love Tennessee trash!
One of my local channels still shows this sometimes... (I live in VA, but they're TN affiliated too, so I s'pose that's why.)

'Cause they ain't no lower class than Tennessee trash!

Yep. A true classic. I wish they would start re-airing it around here.
ThatOneAdWhere... View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatOneAdWhere... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by The Last Brain Left The Last Brain Left wrote:

This Canadian one is not for the queasy:

Seesh.  Please tell me that actually wasn't on tv.
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 6:54pm
I can't link to youtube from work but my favorite is a fake.  From "Scrubs", anyone remember the "don't strangle your kids" PSA with zach braff?  "that problem would be solved in NO TIME!"

edit--it was "don't SMOTHER your kids".  can't believe I got that wrong....
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 4:59am
home now, so here it is....

Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Teh Blinx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teh Blinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 6:17am
I dunno if this really counts as a PSA, but I always liked the Louie the Lightning Bug sequences about electricity safety...
Especially the one with the singing power lines--"We got the blues 'cuz we're feelin' down!" Big%20smile

There's someone in my head
but it's not m e . . .

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 9:49pm

I've now a totally new (yet it may be old) PSA that I awoke to, this A.M.

Simply HORRIBLE - but only because it was fully able to reach in and grab those 'heartstrings'.

This was a 'Gun Violence/Accidents' PSA.

Various scenes in an average middle-class neighborhood...little kids playing nicely, or sitting nicely, or doing anything nicely. An attentive parent right next to each.
The parent will turn their head for a split second and the kid will disappear, only to appear behind the parent, slowly heading to the street to join the ever-growing funeral procession...and disappear, for good. The parent in each scene then completely and convincingly lost all control.

The end is an average kid, probably around 15, being shoveled into the back of a police cruiser.
Too many lives negatively affected for totally meaningless reasons.
Made me sick to my stomach...and I don't want to wake up to anything like that, again.

Been looking for the video without success.

TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 5:15am
Best: Don't drown your food. It was so bad it was funny!

Worst: Nutrition PSA's, learning about eating healthy is one thing, but reminding us of this 1st grade lesson gets annoying! Please, we learned this in school! We should know about this!
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

They once had one for wearing Seat Belts (Before wearing them became mandatory), called "What's Your Excuse?" where they'd feature someone giving their excuse, and the aftermath.

For Example a guy would say "Why should I wear my Seatbelt, I'm only going to the Corner Store!", the next scene he's sitting in a Wheelchair, One leg in a Cast, one arm in a Cast and Sling, and his head all bandaged up!

This one makes me wish I were Canadian:

Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 3:58am
The PSAs I hated the most were the drug ones especially the one where the father confronts the kid about a couple of joints he found and where'd he learn how to do drugs and the kid shrieks back "From you dad, I learned it from watching you!".  I also hate the one where they try to be hip about the brain on drugs thing by having this skinny chick smashing the hell out of everything with a frying pan... ok maybe it should go from drugs to anger management?

This commercial though used to scare the hell out of me as a kid:

(Hope I did this right, still getting the hang of it:-P)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by smittykins smittykins wrote:

This one makes me wish I were Canadian:

Big%20smile
Thanks, SmittyK - that one was really great - never saw it before!
clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 6:12pm
Hillary Duff just put this one out this week i think.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:03pm
Craftychiq and clamshell...

When you find the Youtube video you want, instead of copy/pasting the entire URL into your reply, just take the part of the URL following the first = sign and copy/paste that into your reply.

Then, put TUBE in front of that portion, and /TUBE after it, each in brackets, with the URL portion in between.  When you actually post your reply, the video will appear here.  This is the one clamshell posted:

If you "quote" this post, you'll see exactly what you should be typing in, and how it should look before you actually post it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic