Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sonic Scrubber Bathroom Cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonic Scrubber Bathroom Cleaner
    Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:20pm
Hey Everybody!

I recently moved into a place where the rent was really cheap and the landlord didn't require a deposit for the dogs, which in my mind is fantastic in this economy, and especially the area that I live in. But the problem was, once the guy who lived the before us got all of his crap out, we realized that he never cleaned anything (Dead!) Obviously, the dogs didn't care, but we did! The landlord paid somebody to come and clean the house, and she did an okay job - the kitchen and all the rooms turned out alright except the bathroom... the tub was still covered with a really thick layer of icky scum, and I could tell she'd tried to clean it, but was unsuccessful. Finally, yesterday I was looking at bathroom cleaners and saw this thing called a Sonic Scrubber (I'd never heard of it before) which is basically an electric brush with several different heads. I figured I would give it a try since nothing else had worked (Bon Ami, my usual stand-by, had failed, and even bleach didn't work and made me sick from breathing in the fumes Dead).

Anyway, it worked great! I finally have a clean bathtub! Yay for Sonic Scrubber!Clap
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 9:44pm
I turn rentals all the time, Yutolia. As you mentioned, bleach will make you sick if ya use alot. I usually soak the shower with bleach and then leave it overnight.
You ever tried those SOS soap pads? They work great.Thumbs%20Up 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 3:12pm
Krud Kutter's pretty good.

But, in one of my bathrooms, I have one of those pre-fab shower stalls.  The floor of the shower has a grainy sort of texture.  Nothing cleans that.  My sander or my grinder might, but I don't think that would be a good idea.  No big deal, though.  It just annoys me that nothing works on it, and I take that personally.

Hmmmm...maybe I'll try one of those SOS pads, Tiz.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 3:16pm
I recently figured out how to get the mineral ring off from around the water line inside toilets.  I tried steel wool, but it damaged the finish.  So, I got a pumice stone.  Works great.  In fact, I think someone here might've suggested that.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 3:41pm
My mom gave me something similar to one of these things.

It's called the "Euro-Pro" steam cleaner. She bought it off some home shopping channel, & only used it once or twice.

It shoots a pressurized jet of hot steam out of the nozzle.

Great for things like getting built up scum off of bathroom surfaces, etc.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 4:37pm

The bathroom I use needs a lot more than just cleaning.  The linoleum is coming up.  That's due to some tiny little leak that's causing the sub-flooring to swell  up.  The leak is probably coming from the toilet.  I say it's tiny, because it's been happening since I bought the house, and hasn't caused any damage anywhere else.  So, not only do I have to replace the linoleum which is no big deal, I also have to repair the toilet and replace the flooring. 

I'll put that off.

Right now, I have to go out and get some linseed oil to coat my new fence before it rains which is going to be sometime today.

Home ownership.  I'll tell ya.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Right now, I have to go out and get some linseed oil to coat my new fence before it rains which is going to be sometime today.

Would it not be better to use some Thompson's deck sealer on it?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I turn rentals all the time, Yutolia. As you mentioned, bleach will make you sick if ya use alot. I usually soak the shower with bleach and then leave it overnight.

I have tried those, and they seem to work on stuff that I'm not worried about scratching (I tend to be stronger than I realize when working really hard at something and stuff's gotten ruined before). But since I don't own this tub, I didn't want to mess it up any worse than it already was and be liable for something cause that would be just my luck.LOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Would it not be better to use some Thompson's deck sealer on it?

Yeah, I was looking at that, too.  The guy at the store recommended this other stuff, though---Superdeck Sealer.  He gave me a few color samples---red oak and red cedar.  He also recommended I wait on doing it.  Some of the wood is still green (wet).

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 8:35pm

The bathroom I use needs a lot more than just cleaning.  The linoleum is coming up.  That's due to some tiny little leak that's causing the sub-flooring to swell  up.  The leak is probably coming from the toilet.  I say it's tiny, because it's been happening since I bought the house, and hasn't caused any damage anywhere else.  So, not only do I have to replace the linoleum which is no big deal, I also have to repair the toilet and replace the flooring. 

I'll put that off.

Home ownership.  I'll tell ya.

Probably the wax ring that that toilet sets on. If possible, use another toilet. Pull the linoleum up and let the subfloor dry out......maybe a few days if it isn't too wet. Sand or re-screw the swelled up parts, it's better than cutting out and replacing it.
And post pics of the new fence.Wink
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I have tried those, and they seem to work on stuff that I'm not worried about scratching (I tend to be stronger than I realize when working really hard at something and stuff's gotten ruined before). But since I don't own this tub, I didn't want to mess it up any worse than it already was and be liable for something cause that would be just my luck.LOL

................................................................................

(I tend to be stronger than I realize when working really hard at something and stuff's gotten ruined before).LOL
A moot point now that ya found something that worked, but SOS pads are safe as long as kept wet. A lot like wet sanding a car before a paint job.
I put a light on all over the tub to make sure I didn't miss a spot( and get a bathtub is dirty complaint) and you can't see the first scratch.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 9:13pm
I put my hand through a window once while trying to get my mom's attention (and there wasn't a crack in it before). I've also busted out the sides of glasses while cleaning them. I just get really focused, apparently. LOL
emrys927 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Rest in Peace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emrys927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 5:40am
Those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are also really good.  The tub in my apartment (built in the 30's) is original to the place and it's finish is pretty much gone.  The previous tenant in my apartment also cleaned NOTHING the entire time he lived here...confirmed by the maintenance man.  The toilet was disgusting and no amount of scrubbing would get it clean.  The Shark steam cleaner cut the crud off the toity and the magic erasers did wonders on the tub and without any chemicals.  I was freakin' amazed!
A woman is like tea bag. You never know how strong she'll get until she's in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 9:18pm
I lived in one of those old 1920's/30's era buildings for a few years back in the 80's. It still had all the old original sinks, toilet & tub. The tub was one of those ones with the feet on it. Thankfully, it was all still in pretty good shape.

C'mon, man!
Prometheus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prometheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 9:44am
EVERYONE, please, hear me if you think soap-scum is a problem, I have the ultimate no-scrub solution I have used for years...The "soap-scum-cleaner" has been a complete fabrication of chemical manufacturers like Dow for all these years.....(no, it really works, it'll blow your mind)

Ready?

"Waterless hand cleaner"

Yes...I'm serious, it will liquefy soap-scum practically on-contact, and washes off with plain water. JUst go to your local Checker/Shucks/Kragen Auto Parts or equivalent, and pick up a tub of it. Simply scoop a handful and "grease" the whole tub/sink with a moderate layer. Let soak approximately 5 seconds and scrub with nothing more than your bare hand. In most cases, it will come right off, otherwise leave it overnight. Rinse with plain water, and viola!

No irritating fumes, no harsh/corrosive chemicals, no colorfastness, no abrasion, sewage-safe, very low cost, NO HEAVY SCRUBBING OR SCOURING. Just be sure not to contaminate the tub (of cleaner) with water, or you may activate the cleaner prematurely. It will eventually separate like mayonnaise, so if oil comes to the surface, stir the tub before using. Start with a dry surface and dry hands for optimal effect. Add water slowly as you "scrub" to activate the cleaner, and then simply rinse. Yet another reason to have a detachable shower-head instead of the fixed ones.

FOR THE LADIES: will soften hands with only a temporary "vaseline" smell that will wash off instantly by washing your hands normally with hand-soap. It is in no way corrosive, and will not erode skin like bleach or products containing bleach can. Safe to use on bare hands, perhaps even beneficial.

BTW, I used to use dish-soap to clean my hands when I did car-work, but once I found this was incontestable by comparison with grease, I mused: "Soap is derived from oils, let's see what happens if I use this on soap-scum"....What would take enough scrubbing to leave my arm sore for days came off with a single swipe like PBlaster through adhesive-glue..."Tilex" was instantly as useless as "WD-40" at that moment.

I'm testing this and other unknowns as "supercleaners" in various other difficult areas where nobody tried it but me. I would like to post my results, but current restrictions on "spam" do not allow me to do so here. More to come later.
Immune to all forms of marketing since 1976!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic