Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burlington Coat Factory "Family Values"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharonite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burlington Coat Factory "Family Values"
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 5:13am
I am fed up with the annoying sanctimonious right-wing phrase "family values" being plastered all over the media, tied to the ridiculous belief that any family consisting of something other than a married hetero Christian couple and 2.4 children is somehow inherently unnatural or dysfunctional.  Now Burlington is using it to SELL crap!

Should wanton consumerism really be hailed as a "family value"?
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:03pm
I haven't seen the commercial, but couldn't Burlington's "family values" simply be referring to values on men's, women's and children's coats?

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

couldn't Burlington's "family values" simply be referring to values on men's, women's and children's coats?  

That's the way I've perceived it, as well.  I don't remember if there were particular families depicted in the ads, perhaps that's what Sharonite is commenting on.

However, I disagree that shopping for coats (a necessity) at a low-price store such as Burlington Coat qualifies as wanton consumerism.

If they were trying to get us to blow extra money on something we don't need, then maybe I'd jump on board.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:08pm

I'd have to check the deepest darkest recesses of my closets, but I'm pretty sure I don't even own a coat.  Unless sport jackets count.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:18pm

I haven't seen the commercial, but couldn't Burlington's "family values" simply be referring to values on men's, women's and children's coats?

I think it's sort of a double entendre. They're obviously using a very familiar phrase in a way that can be interpreted both ways, both "positive" in their view, but I'm with sharonite on this one. I'm sick of hearing about family values. I hate family values. Screw family values.

Ya wanna sell me a coat?

Then do it with sex, drugs & rock-n-roll, baby!!!!!!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:27pm
Ian Dury tried that years ago, but he's dead so probably won't be trying it again.

Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll (excerpt):

Every bit of clothing ought to make you pretty
You can cut the clothing, grey is such a pity
I should wear the clothing of Mr. Walter Mitty
See my tailor, he's called Simon, I know it's going to fit

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:30pm
What color are the coats? Are there more white ones than black ones? THAT'S RACISM!!!Wacko
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:37pm
No, fortunately they're all light/medium tan & medium/dark brown.

Everyone is "covered" so to speak.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 5:01pm

I'd have to check the deepest darkest recesses of my closets, but I'm pretty sure I don't even own a coat.  Unless sport jackets count.

If global warming pans out, New England will be warm all year too! Cool
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:28pm

Ian Dury tried that years ago, but he's dead so probably won't be trying it again.

Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll (excerpt):

Every bit of clothing ought to make you pretty
You can cut the clothing, grey is such a pity
I should wear the clothing of Mr. Walter Mitty
See my tailor, he's called Simon, I know it's going to fit

I loved Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick!

By the way, Burlington Coat Factory sells a lot of stuff, not just coats. Clothing, household stuff, linens, etc., at good prices.  NOT wanton consumerism at all.  Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Needless-Markup?  THAT is wanton consumerism.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:10pm
I think it's nothing more than a lame pun.  You might be reading into it more than you need to.
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:38am
I have a burlington coat factory in the mall here.
It's a craphole.
Honestly everything they make is a ghetto piece of crap, and no I'm not being racist, it's ghetto and I have no other word for it. It's falling apart, even the walls have plaster falling off of them, the clothes are crappy, the lighting is crappy, and it smells weird. Like not BAD necessarily but...kinda like your school smelled on the first day. Only ALL THE FREAKING TIME.
I would not shop at Burlington if you paid me to do so.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:50am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

I loved Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick!

Also, Reasons to be Cheerful.  God, I haven't heard these songs in so long. 

Chicagostyle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicagostyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:52am
Originally posted by sharonite sharonite wrote:

I am fed up with the annoying sanctimonious right-wing phrase "family values" being plastered all over the media, tied to the ridiculous belief that any family consisting of something other than a married hetero Christian couple and 2.4 children is somehow inherently unnatural or dysfunctional.

I'm not sure what belief that you are speaking of. I'm not aware of any belief that proclaims that anything other than a married Christian heterosexual couple with 2 children is unnatural or dysfunctional. I'm sure that there are some who believe that, but the belief is pretty batty if you ask me. I don't know anyone who thinks like that. Also, I have never seen such a narrow view be "plastered" all over the media. What on Earth are you talking about? It doesn't make much sense to me.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 5:39pm

Originally posted by Chicagostyle Chicagostyle wrote:

Originally posted by sharonite sharonite wrote:

I am fed up with the annoying sanctimonious right-wing phrase "family values" being plastered all over the media, tied to the ridiculous belief that any family consisting of something other than a married hetero Christian couple and 2.4 children is somehow inherently unnatural or dysfunctional.

I'm not sure what belief that you are speaking of. I'm not aware of any belief that proclaims that anything other than a married Christian heterosexual couple with 2 children is unnatural or dysfunctional. I'm sure that there are some who believe that, but the belief is pretty batty if you ask me. I don't know anyone who thinks like that. Also, I have never seen such a narrow view be "plastered" all over the media. What on Earth are you talking about? It doesn't make much sense to me.

You're kidding, right?

You've never heard of the Christian conservative right & it's views on what everyone else's lives should be like?

I don't see how you could've missed it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 8:54pm
I don't know the Christians you speak of, Jimbo.  Like you, I've only heard of them.  The ones I know (and that includes a Baptist minister) seem fine with me and my "unnatural and dysfunctional" unmarried, childless life.  The Baptist minister has actually said that, as a single person, I have more of an ability to be spiritual, as I have the luxury of not being as bound to "the worldly" as someone who has to support a family and fulfill all of their worldly needs.

Whether or not one agrees with that, it doesn't point to any sort of dislike of people who don't have kids.  At worst, it holds us to a higher standard.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the ones who might look down on me amount to little more than ghosts in the trees.  Irrelevant in my life.

To take it a step further, I actually hear and read more dislike these days coming from the anti-Christians towards Christianity than the other way around.  Look at CIH.  You're way more likely to hear anti-Christian sentiment here than anti-secular.  Have Mrs. Hill or LOL1955 ever said anything negative about non-religious or unmarried people?  Not to my recollection.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:52pm
uh...Thor? The name 'Pat Robertson' ring a bell? I guess he isn't known of, here and there...Confused
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:35am

I don't know the Christians you speak of, Jimbo.  Like you, I've only heard of them.  The ones I know (and that includes a Baptist minister) seem fine with me and my "unnatural and dysfunctional" unmarried, childless life.  The Baptist minister has actually said that, as a single person, I have more of an ability to be spiritual, as I have the luxury of not being as bound to "the worldly" as someone who has to support a family and fulfill all of their worldly needs.

Whether or not one agrees with that, it doesn't point to any sort of dislike of people who don't have kids.  At worst, it holds us to a higher standard.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the ones who might look down on me amount to little more than ghosts in the trees.  Irrelevant in my life.

To take it a step further, I actually hear and read more dislike these days coming from the anti-Christians towards Christianity than the other way around.  Look at CIH.  You're way more likely to hear anti-Christian sentiment here than anti-secular.  Have Mrs. Hill or LOL1955 ever said anything negative about non-religious or unmarried people?  Not to my recollection.

This would've been a perfect opportunity for you to address this over in "our forum" by simply posting a "See my reply over in.... etc. etc."

But back to the point, oh wait......... see my reply over in etc. etc. etc....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:39am
I thought that was for the occasions when the discussion gets ugly.  So far, it hasn't.  I'll check over there to see how it's going.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:52am
This is the "new Jimbo" you're dealing with here.

I'm gonna try to be the "good cop" from now on & at least attempt to adhere to forum protocol in these matters.

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 1:49am
Hey hey hey!
You two have a forum for this! Your own domain! Now go be the masters of it.
Don't make me get out the muzzles.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 1:58am
Or the bunny pancakes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic