Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy Chef Boyardee mother

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by gail gail wrote:

Here's the really important answer you've been waiting for....Franco-American merged with Chef Boyardee and the spaghetti rings are the same as Spaghettios.  The "full serving of vegetables" is equating the tomato sauce (includes pureed celery, onions, etc) as a serving of vegetables, even though tomatoes are technically fruit.

That can't be right, unless Chef Boyardee is a subsidiary of Campbells.

Look at the Os can.  There is no mention of Spaghetti-Os on it.

The real Spghetti-Os

Sponsored Links

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 10:16pm

.....even though tomatoes are technically fruit.

Speaking of which, tomatoes and oranges, both fruit, taste surpringly good together.

gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Here's the really important answer you've been waiting for....Franco-American merged with Chef Boyardee and the spaghetti rings are the same as Spaghettios.  The "full serving of vegetables" is equating the tomato sauce (includes pureed celery, onions, etc) as a serving of vegetables, even though tomatoes are technically fruit.

The real Spghetti-Os

They did and they are or were both subsidiaries. regardless of what they are called, they are the same basic product. Thor is right.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 11:01pm

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

The real Spghetti-Os

They did and they are or were both subsidiaries. regardless of what they are called, they are the same basic product. Thor is right.

I am speaking of the Spaghetti-Os brand.  All O shaped spaghetti products are not Spaghetti-O brand.  Just as supermarket brand oat Os are not CheeriOs. 

No mention of Chef Boyardee.  They are competiters with Campbells.  It's like saying Ford and Toyota are the same because they both make sedans.

Here is the story.

Short version

SpaghettiOs were once a Franco-American brand, which was purchased by the Campbell Soup Company in 1915.

On November 18, 2004, Campbell's announced that they were discontinuing the Franco-American brand. SpaghettiOs are now marketed under the Campbell's name.

Full Version

SpaghettiOs are a brand of canned spaghetti that consists of small, circular pasta shapes, suspended in cheese and tomato sauce.

SpaghettiOs are marketed primarily to children and their ads famously feature the "Uh-oh! SpaghettiOs!" jingle sung by Jimmie Rodgers.[1] The product was also pitched to parents for its being less messy than standard spaghetti.

It is rumored that the original recipe for this dish was created in Pozzuoli, Italy, around 1884, by a member or members of a family who later emigrated to Brooklyn, New York and acquired the name Kirby. A friend of the family, who later became a product developer at Franco-American, is thought to have obtained the recipe.

SpaghettiOs were once a Franco-American brand, which was purchased by the Campbell Soup Company in 1915. It is now uncertain whether a Kirby ancestor or Kurt Eberling, Sr., the Franco-American employee, invented them. [1]. Eberling died on March 10, 2008 [2].

On November 18, 2004, Campbell's announced that they were discontinuing the Franco-American brand. SpaghettiOs are now marketed under the Campbell's name.

On October 19, 1965, SpaghettiO's were introduced on television by pop singer Jimmie Rodgers, who had hits in the 1950s with such songs "Honeycomb", "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine", "Oh-Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again", "Secretly", and others:

The neat new spaghetti you can eat with a spoon: Uh-Oh! SpaghettiOs

"Uh-Oh" was a phrase that was repeatedly sung by Rodgers in "Oh-Oh I'm Falling in Love Again" (The "oh-oh" is pronounced "uh-oh"), so the tie-in was a natural. Kids loved to sing the ubiquitous jingle, and grown-ups took note. The catchy and memorable jingle launched SpaghettiOs, and customers remembered it when in supermarkets. SpaghettiOs have now been on store shelves for over forty years.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 1:07am
I just had a big ol' bowl of rigatoni covered in a homemade sauce with beef and sausage in it...topped with parmesan cheese that I'd just grated. 
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I just had a big ol' bowl of rigatoni covered in a homemade sauce with beef and sausage in it...topped with parmesan cheese that I'd just grated. 
   Thor, ask PaW about his secret pasta seasoning.....it is priceless.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 2:09am
Uh-oh.  Pa's secret seasoning??!  I think I'm afraid to.  ShockedLOL

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 3:27am
God I hate being shushed, at the end when she's banging the pots and she shushes not one but at least 3 times I would have snapped. How freaking annoying, Spaghetti-Os do not equal healthy lady, and if your kid is that much of a brat that he'll put down a food he LIKES just to make a hissy fit about it being healthy, you have bigger problems to deal with.
absolutely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote absolutely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 9:54pm

*Nevermind.  Found it!

Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 3:19pm
Some people were saying this one follows the dumb daddy/clever mommy stereotype. Seems to me the dad is the normal one in this one though, and the mom is a stupid lunatic.
Auggie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 1:46am
What I don't understand from the commercial is WHY the mother doesn't want the kid hearing that spaghettios have a full serving of vegetables. I'd think that would be a kid's dream, to be able to beg for junk food for dinner and be able to use the argument "but, Mo-om, there's vegetables in it! C'mon, please can I have them?" It's not like she's serving him real food. I could understand her frustration if she was serving him pasta with a healthy homemade sauce, but she's feeding him processed junk and calling it healthy!

Kids will like whatever food they're raised on. There are kids who have never tasted soda in their life and they're fine without it. I wasn't allowed to eat fruit roll-ups, fruit snacks, sodas or sugary fruit drinks, chips, snack cakes, or a lot of junk as a kid & I turned out fine. I've always liked fruits & veggies because I ate them every day while I was growing up. Healthy food is normal to me (& I'm a nutritionist now). 
Kids like what they're raised with. Feed them vegetables  from the time they're a baby and they'll turn out being kids who like veggies and adults who like veggies. Feed a kid junk their whole life and don't be surprised if they refuse to eat broccoli.
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 2:39am
   I love jumk food. Think about it...if preservatives give your food a longer shelf life, imagine what they can do for your own longevity.
Ian16545 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian16545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 1:42am

I'd rather grind that mom up into her son's Chef Boyardee!

One call... destroys 'em all!
sanityplease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanityplease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 2:28am
Wow, I just stumbled on this site and found I'm not the only person in the universe that hates some of these commercials. YAY!!

If you count the tomatoes in the sauce (which is valid), these canned pasta meals probably have "a full serving of vegetables". What makes me crazy about these commercials is the concept that kids will refuse to eat anything that's labeled "healthy". This is nuts! It goes along with the celebrity books about how to hide veggies in your kids' meals. Yeah, a half cup of carrots in a pan of brownies is going to make a difference. No wonder we have a kids' obesity explosion in this country. I can't believe that the "Madison Avenue" gurus think this is a good way to promote a product, but are we in that much trouble in the way we feed our kis?  (Maybe) And, yes, the mother is a nut-case, and the dad is clueless, but that just goes along with the basic premise that kids "hate anything that's healthy". AAARRRGH!
ThatOneAdWhere... View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatOneAdWhere... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 2:41am
The batsh*t crazy mom just drives me insane.  Really, I don't think it's a big deal if the kid knows that it's veggies or not.  If he likes them, he'll eat them.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 4:37am
Tomatoes are FRUITS.  ANYTHING with seeds is a FRUIT.   Cucumbers? 
FRUIT.  Zukes?  FRUIT. 

Rhubarb?  Vegetable.  Wink
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
cornflake View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 6:56am
This commercial is really annoying, but what is also annoying is people being pedantic about vegetable/fruit is annoying too. A vegetable can be a root, a stem, a flower, a FRUIT, a tuber, a leaf, etc. Just because a cucumber is a fruit doesn't make it NOT a vegetable. Technically, apples, pears and pineapples are also vegetables, since they come from plants.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanityplease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 5:50pm
In the world of diet and nutrition (where I spend much of my time) tomatoes, cukes, zuchs, and such are generally counted as veggies. Most of what we consider fruits have more sugar, albeit a natural sugar, and more calories, which puts them in a different category, diet-wise.

You say tomato and I say tomato, let's call the whole thing off! Unhappy
thatsmypie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatsmypie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 2:05am
Eat it or starve, kid.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 2:53am
Originally posted by sanityplease sanityplease wrote:

In the world of diet and nutrition (where I spend much of my time) tomatoes, cukes, zuchs, and such are generally counted as veggies. 

I also spend time in the world of food--I'm a chef.  Big%20smile   I was just making that fruit vs. veg post because the company wants the consumer to think the tomatoes are vegetables.  Cool
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Banquo Banquo wrote:

Some people were saying this one follows the dumb daddy/clever mommy stereotype. Seems to me the dad is the normal one in this one though, and the mom is a stupid lunatic.

I think the kid in the commercial would agree with that. He's looking at his mom like "...W......T.......F?"

LOL
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 12:39am
Ok, the commercial's been on tv long enough that I think everyone's seen it but in case there are people that still haven't caught it, here it is.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 2:49am

Removing a skillet from her pot rack and giving her a swift slam upside the head would be a righteous response.

Agreed, I was thinking he should grab her by the hair and slam her face through a plate glass window.
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Craftychiq Craftychiq wrote:

Ok, the commercial's been on tv long enough that I think everyone's seen it but in case there are people that still haven't caught it, here it is.

I can't believe how many of the youtube posters actually LIKE the commercial. Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanityplease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 8:44pm
Your point is valid. It's good to know what you're eating, botanically, I guess. But truth is most people list tomatoes, and even more so cukes and zukes, as veggies when planning a diet (weight-loss or otherwise), for good reason.
If you created a lovely salad of tomatoes, cukes, zukes, a nice dressing, garnished with herbs, would you list it on your menu as a "fruit salad"? Would seem a little odd to me.
I don't mind if the company counts the tomatoes as a vegetable. I object to the belief that kids "don't like/won't eat" anything healthy. Dead
Cheers Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic