Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cut the INFOMERCIAL crap!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cut the INFOMERCIAL crap!
    Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 7:36pm
More and more channels are replacing actual shows with more and more INFOMERCIALS as we live and breathe.  Discuss!
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Sponsored Links

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 9:34pm
TV Land.  I couldn't believe it!!!    What next, cutting out part of Nick At Nite to show paid programming?     Getting rid of some of Adult Swim for PP?    News channels, "music" channels?? 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 1:10am
Great topic, 7x8. I was actually wondering where it all will end, early this A.M. I found it unbelievable that the FIRST 20 or so channels I skipped around (looking for local weather) were ALL in the middle of some 30 minute infomercial. In fact, if one looks at the programming for MOST channels, does it not seem the entire programming for any given day really appears to be 4-6 hours of 'variable entertainment' (with re-runs/re-broadcasts during the same broadcast day), followed by Infomercials during 'Dead Time'?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 3:48am
What's even worse is that cable\satt providers keep jamming more and more 24hr shopping\infomercials channels into our lineup each month. I understand the financial incentive to have the channels. But put them into the own block or section, not in between the prime channels! THe lineup becomes more and more cluttered and people end up blocking them out in the favorites anyway. If people wanna shop they'll shop.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 3:59am
I remember when the late-night slots were filled with old TV Shows and Movies. Then in the Mid 1980s there was a Supreme Court Decision that did away with time limits for Commercials. Prior to this decision Commercial Breaks consisted of an average of 10-12 minutes per hour. About this time I worked an Afternoon Shift Job, so when I got home I'd watch the Late Movie before calling it a Night. One night I went to turn on the TV to watch their late Movie (They had been showing Vintage Sci-Fi Movies at this time such as Earth Vs The Flying Saucers & Forbidden Planet) and there was this guy pushing this weight-loss product. The Channel had a Baseball Game on earlier, Thought the game had ran a little long. (The Show Scheduled after the game was on when I had checked abou a half-hour earlier, I did not know whether that had "Joined it in Progress (Something I AngryHATEDAngry if it was a show I was looking forward to watch. or if they had delayed its Start. I thought the latter had happened and this was a One-Minute Break. I went to the Refridgerator to get a Soda and a Snack, and when I returned This guy was still yammering away! WTCensored?!! That was the end of their Late Movie! I stopped watching that channel and switch to others, but one by one they too began replacing their shows with what were first called "Program-Length Commercials" and later began to be called Infomercials. Then I got a Day Shift, and my Viewing Habits switched to "Normal". Now these infernal things are everywhere! I wonder how long it will be before they Invade Prime Time! Of course everybody here knows how I watch TV Now!LOL  
Poiuyt Power!!!
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 4:36am
It has happened, at least locally.

A few summers back, WOIO CBS 19 in Cleveland  dumped an hour of CBS primetime shows in favor of showing paid programs, in primetime.    I think they only did it once, because of the outrage generated by it.   A local media news website tore them a new asshole over it.   Plus they had to be flooded with emails.   Even I sent one.   

But they also own a My Network TV station here and they've shown Paid Programs in primetime a few times.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 4:40am
Sad to say, but it's simple economics.  An infomercial will pay the TV station more for it's time slot than would be made selling air time for other ads played during re-runs or movies (less what the station itself has to pay to play the syndicated shows/movies.)  And you know that will apply triple to the cheap bastards running cable.... LOL
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 5:04am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Sad to say, but it's simple economics.  An infomercial will pay the TV station more for it's time slot than would be made selling air time for other ads played during re-runs or movies (less what the station itself has to pay to play the syndicated shows/movies.)  And you know that will apply triple to the cheap bastards running cable.... LOL

Yep.   If you're familiar with Raycom, aka RayCHEAP, then you'd completely understand what's going on here.    WUAB, their My Network station has the most paid programming per week, excluding ION TV which shows paid programs almost all day and night, very little network and no local programming.    Plus one of our antenna channels is 24/7 paid programs.   

With CBS, the programming in question was summer repeats of King Of Queens(after it ended in 2007) so they assumed that they'd make more money on the paid programming than on actual local commercials.   

That's the problem with TV---it's become too much BUSINESS.    And that's why everything has turned to sh*te, in the name of BUSINESS, GREED and making MONEY!! AngryAngryAngry
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by N-Dizzle N-Dizzle wrote:

That's the problem with TV---it's become too much BUSINESS.    And that's why everything has turned to sh*te, in the name of BUSINESS, GREED and making MONEY!! AngryAngryAngry

Spot on, N-Dizzle! Clap

The worst part of all this is: Infomercials are permanent.  It would be like turning water into wine to get rid of these for watchable programming. Unhappy
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 9:00pm
I posted this argument on another board.  Check out the response I got:

I really think you are totally failing to realize that TV is a business. Everytime one of those informercials airs the station gets paid. Every time somebody calls in and orders one, the station gets paid. If the same station ran a movie and there were no commercials to air only promos and PSA the station makes nothing. So if your running a station and need to pay the bills what do you run?

Your argument about more viewers doesn't hold a drop of water. There are far too many viewers choices out there. We all get more than 5 or 6 stations these days.

It's nice there are forums like this to discuss how unhappy you are with commercials but it's totally a useless complaint. Commercial on the air TV exists only because of the commercials. So I'm guessing that you never look at the many commercials that are on this site. Because there are too many? You know what change the channel find something else to watch or go read a book.

Really want to complain, here.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Douchebags like this guy make me even madder! Angry
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 11:44pm

TV Land.  I couldn't believe it!!!    What next, cutting out part of Nick At Nite to show paid programming?     Getting rid of some of Adult Swim for PP?    News channels, "music" channels?? 

God, that would be great. Adult Swim is just completely retarded now.
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I remember when the late-night slots were filled with old TV Shows and Movies.   

I remember that Saturday morning that after they did the cartoons schtick, would come old movies.  Now if you wanna see those you have to watch AMC or TCM.  And they sure have not shown all the old flicks that I used to watch as a kid...glad I got my base of old movie trivia that way at least.

I hate the informercials also, who do they think watches this for more than a minute unless it has some interest to you.  Gotta have the latest vaccuum ya know.
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by TheNilvarg TheNilvarg wrote:

God, that would be great. Adult Swim is just completely retarded now.

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:32pm
I think Adult Swim tried to copy Liquid Television that MTV used to have..and I loved Liquid TV,,,,my favorite was Aeon Flux, from which they made a movie from.  
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Pirate Alyx Pirate Alyx wrote:

I think Adult Swim tried to copy Liquid Television that MTV used to have..and I loved Liquid TV,,,,my favorite was Aeon Flux, from which they made a movie from.  

I forgot about Liquid TV.  I loved it.  Aeon Flux the cartoon, was funny.  The movie just sucked for me. 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 2:36pm
OK, so when there is really nothing on TV, like Saturdays when they have lots of golf on.

I don't mind sitting down and watching a nice infomercial.

I get a kick out of watching the lady struggle with that old heavy vacuum, or the guy spilling that messy paint, or someone trying actually attempt to chop vegetables with, with, oh the unspeakable horror....... a knife!

I do find them quite entertaining.  The fact is, unlike the average run of the mill commercial, which is usually about impotency or incontinence, infomercials are usually about some sort of new gadget.  I love new gadgets!!

For me though more enjoyable than the new product itself is that ever necessary demonstration (in black & white) of the how did we ever live without it, old way of doing it.

Things get spilled, fingers get sliced, ladders fall over, trees fall on cars, toes get stubbed, clothes get wrinkled, food goes bad, rooms are cluttered, closets are dark, the list just goes on and on and on. 

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

OK, so when there is really nothing on TV, like Saturdays when they have lots of golf on.

I get a kick out of watching the lady struggle with that old heavy vacuum, or the guy spilling that messy paint, or someone trying actually attempt to chop vegetables with, with, oh the unspeakable horror....... a knife!

I do find them quite entertaining.  The fact is, unlike the average run of the mill commercial, which is usually about impotency or incontinence, infomercials are usually about some sort of new gadget.  I love new gadgets!!

For me though more enjoyable than the new product itself is that ever necessary demonstration (in black & white) of the how did we ever live without it, old way of doing it.

Things get spilled, fingers get sliced, ladders fall over, trees fall on cars, toes get stubbed, clothes get wrinkled, food goes bad, rooms are cluttered, closets are dark, the list just goes on and on and on.

Those sound tolerable.  The ones that REALLY make me MAD are:

1. BILLY MAYS!!!

2. Colon cleansing, ED, or any other private body-function ad.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

Those sound tolerable.  The ones that REALLY make me MAD are:

1. BILLY MAYS!!!

2. Colon cleansing, ED, or any other private body-function ad.

I hope you detected a touch of sarcasm in my post. Wink
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I remember watching some of those gadget infomercials awhile back. It might have been on the defunct TNN channel.
Every Saturday morning they'd have some new infomercial like that "miracle engine oil" where they'd drain all the oil out of the car and then drive it all over town.Confused

The last one I actually watched all the way through, was for this Dual drill. This isn't the infomercial but the only one I could find.
Watching those people struggle with a simple chore is priceless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic