Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Truth" Douchenozzles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imemine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Truth" Douchenozzles
    Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 3:15am
What is it with these people?  I hated them back when they simply had bullhorns and were happy to announce tobacco facts to people on the street.  But now they're singing and dancing about dead people and adding animation in post-production.  Is that really helping their cause?  Their presence on my tv makes me want to go on a killing spree.
Sponsored Links

violetlightning View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 4:43am
I think you may be missing the point/message. The reason they're doing this stuff is that these are really disturbing facts that aren't widely known, and they're trying to get the information out there. I believe it's called irony.

Other examples of irony (and some shameless self-promotion on my part) can be seen here and in my collection of disturbing-quotes-from-"family-values"-people-done-in-needlework (here, here, here, here, here, and here), as well as my "Homeland Security Blanket" (a child-size quilt of rather upsetting images from the government's own homeland security preparedness website), and it's companion pieces the ABC cross-stitch of scary things, and terror alert chart Cross-stitch and Pillow.

So it's possible I'm a little biased because their tactic is the same one that I love to use, but I really don't find them that annoying. And if they convince people not to smoke, all the better.
imemine View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imemine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 6:15am
I realize they're getting their message out, but it's still unbelievably obnoxious.  It's also not going to convince people to stop smoking.  I'm not opposed to all anti-smoking ads, in fact, I live in the New York area and they've run some VERY effective ones in the past using ACTUAL people.  These are just smugly irritating.  The truth's aim should be to get people to understand them, not punch them.
adam View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 8:09am
DID YOU KNOW?

Truth is funded by Phillip Morris and was created after a law was passed in 1997.
MrMayBF2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMayBF2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 8:32am
Every time I see one of those ads, I feel like lighting one up-and I don't even smoke!!! They are hurting more than helping, and dishonoring the memories of those who have died from smoking, like my grandmother. I always have a middle finger in the air at them on the ads saying "F*ck you, nobody's forced to smoke." They seem to be criminalizing smokers, which p*sses me off, even as a non-smoker. That latest ad where they sing "It must have been a typo" makes me want to throw a brick through my TV. Those ads are so incredibly retarded and insulting, it's hard to believe they are on the air. 
imemine View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imemine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 2:52pm
Thank you.  Violetlighting, I well understand what irony is, but this isn't irony, it's just smarmy and childish.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:18am
Originally posted by imemine imemine wrote:

Thank you.  Violetlighting, I well understand what irony is, but this isn't irony, it's just smarmy and childish.

Exactly. There's a difference between irony and acting like an obnoxious asshole. I hardly consider screaming at a building and prancing around in the street to be anything more than histrionic bullsh*t. Just a bunch of hippie douchebags still trying to live out there high school fantasies of "keepin' it real man, fight the power".
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
squashbuckler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squashbuckler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:16pm
Yeah...but well...someone's gotta do it, right?
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:03pm
Almost as bad are the ads shown during Yankees and Mets games on their respective channels, usually followed by a graphic reading "QUIT SMOKING NOW."  I don't smoke(though in the interest of full disclosure, I did try it), but I think the reaction of the average smoker to those ads would be a raised middle finger and a hearty "F*** YOU!"
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:27pm
But, I have to say that "douchenozzles" is myword of the week.
Han6001 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Han6001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:54pm
I agree. "Douchenozzle" is one of my new favorite words.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:03am
I like it too, but where is it?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

LOLHooty, did ya wait til the end of the commercial? You know, where it says "but wait, if you order in the next 10 minutes...."
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:32am
ROTFLMAO!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:56am
Originally posted by violetlightning violetlightning wrote:

I think you may be missing the point/message. The reason they're doing this stuff is that these are really disturbing facts that aren't widely known, and they're trying to get the information out there. I believe it's called irony.

Other examples of irony (and some shameless self-promotion on my part) can be seen here and in my collection of disturbing-quotes-from-"family-values"-people-done-in-needlework (here, here, here, here, here, and here), as well as my "Homeland Security Blanket" (a child-size quilt of rather upsetting images from the government's own homeland security preparedness website), and it's companion pieces the ABC cross-stitch of scary things, and terror alert chart Cross-stitch and Pillow.

So it's possible I'm a little biased because their tactic is the same one that I love to use, but I really don't find them that annoying. And if they convince people not to smoke, all the better.

Violet, You are quite brilliant!!!!!
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 1:53am
Originally posted by adam adam wrote:

DID YOU KNOW?

Truth is funded by Phillip Morris and was created after a law was passed in 1997.

Well I looked this up, because if it was true, that would be interesting to say the least. And it is true, for the most part, but it's also a little misleading. They provide funding because of a settlement for a lawsuit (it's not a law), as do several other tobacco companies. But they don't have any say in how the money is used, or anything. They also agreed to several restrictions on advertising and marketing and to release various internal documents. I'm always shocked when I find old magazines and TV Guides, they have so many cigarette ads in them.

But there's good news for those of you that don't like these ads, from the American Legacy Foundation's website, about their truth campaign:

"The American Legacy Foundation, which provides strategic direction and funding for the truth® campaign, received in 2003 what is likely its final payment to the National Public Education Fund established by the Master Settlement Agreement.  Despite its success, the truth® campaign now faces an unprecedented funding challenge."

I'm kind of curious what shows you guys see these ads during, because I think I've only seen the latest ad once . . . although it's possible I've just been able to fast forward through it whenever it's on a show I'm watching.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

OMG, I totally have one of those! I think we lost the various tubings and attachments years ago, I've only ever used it as a hot water bottle. Ours is from the 60's, and I loooooove it. It's a lifesaver for sore muscles.

On another note, on a feminist blog I read occasionally there was a discussion about the use of "douche" as an insult. I think the end result was that people agreed that it should be used as an insult, because douches are bad for you - you know, invented by "the man", and ultimately more harmful than they ever were helpful. (Okay, I don't think anyone said "the man", I made that part up. But you get my point.)
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

Violet, You are quite brilliant!!!!!

Thankyou!Embarrassed
ratattack View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratattack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 3:45pm
I want to blow smoke into those self-righteous idiots face and flick my butt at them. I wonder how many of them smoke something "alternative"?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:00pm

Violet Lightning, I actually agree with many of the family-values sentiments in your needlework. 

Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:51pm

"The American Legacy Foundation, which provides strategic direction and funding for the truth® campaign, received in 2003 what is likely its final payment to the National Public Education Fund established by the Master Settlement Agreement.  Despite its success, the truth® campaign now faces an unprecedented funding challenge."

Gee, no wonder they're so cheap and weak.   And, how in the world are they determining that the campaign is a "success"?   I've never heard anyone state that it was a douchenozzle commercial that was a factor in helping them quit smoking.

They are annoying, condescending, sanctimonious and unfunny.   And, I'm not even a smoker.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Violet Lightning, I actually agree with many of the family-values sentiments in your needlework. 

Shocked And you're from San Francisco?

Harkening back to a thread that you and I dominated awhile ago, I was really excited to show Paul Kantner the postcards I'd had made of the ABC cross-stitch (we had to have them made, it was part of our grade). You can imagine how much I'd want to have the opinion of someone I consider a political artist*, who has inspired me so much. So we were backstage and I handed it him. He sat and looked at it for a moment and finally said "That's depressing."
"That's the point."
"You should do a happy version."
"No I shouldn't."
Oh, well.

*Did you know he wrote Crown of Creation when the Humphrey campaign asked JA to write a song for them? "Soon you'll obtain the stability you strive for in the only way that it's granted - in a place among the fossils of our time . . ."
Needless to say the Humphrey campaign decided not to use it. LOL
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote violetlightning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Skerlnik Skerlnik wrote:

Gee, no wonder they're so cheap and weak.   And, how in the world are they determining that the campaign is a "success"?   I've never heard anyone state that it was a douchenozzle commercial that was a factor in helping them quit smoking.

They are annoying, condescending, sanctimonious and unfunny.   And, I'm not even a smoker.

I think they're claiming that their intended purpose is reducing the number of people (esp. under 30) who start smoking, and exposing the seedy side of the tobacco industry. So you can measure your success differently when you state your purpose that way.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 6:49am

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Shocked And you're from San Francisco?

Well, for instance, the first bit of needlework you posted (Sex Respect per an abstinence-only curriculum)...I don't see anything disturbing at all about the sentiments espoused there. 

Yep!  You'd never know it by where I lived, the way I looked, the things I did, or the music I like (JA??!!) over the years, but I've become quite conservative over the years.  Kind of always was.

For the record (so to speak), I have no problem with the Airplane's often radical lyrics.  I understand the era.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 6:57am

*Did you know he wrote Crown of Creation when the Humphrey campaign asked JA to write a song for them? "Soon you'll obtain the stability you strive for in the only way that it's granted - in a place among the fossils of our time . . ."
Needless to say the Humphrey campaign decided not to use it. LOL

I didn't know that.  Funny, though!  LOL

Have you ever heard the song the Airplane did for a Levi's commercial?  If not, here 'tis:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic