Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sportsmanship Debate

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: If you're winning 56-0 late in the 4th qtr, do you let up on the gas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [40.00%]
6 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sportsmanship Debate
    Posted: 01 Jan 2009 at 5:44am
I voted no but with some qualifications. I think it's wrong for a team to leave its starters in when there's more than, say, a three or four touchdown lead in the second half. Put in the subs, but then let them play for real. Those guys practice as much, and work as hard, as the guys who play all the time. On the rare occasions they do get in, they shouldn't be limited to running plays on offense, or no pass rushing on defense. That's unfair to the subs, and it is also really insulting to the other team.

It's cutting your overwhelmed opponent enough of a break pulling the starters. If their first string can't hold off your backups, they deserve to get scored on.

Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 6:51am
I voted yes. No sense getting your top players busted up in a game you already won and it leaves the other team deciding they may just take a few liberties if they feel you're trying to make them look stupid..
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 2:24am
There used to be a 45-point mercy rule in Nebraska 8-man high school football, but they got rid of it.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Skerlnik Skerlnik wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

The Mets are up 10-1 over the Yankees in the bottom of the 8th. The Met's power hitters are up to bat. You gonna tell them to strike out on purpose or try to walk as to not run up the score?Question

I guess that's the question.  Some people would have a problem with that, and consider that piling on.   Maybe not as much so in the pros, but in Little League, isn't there a "mercy rule"?

I believe there is such a rule in the Little League World Series.  Your everyday local Little League games, I don't know.
Maybe you should ask the Detroit Lions about a "mercy rule." WinkLOL
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 3:04am
Screw mercy.Evil%20Smile

Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

The Mets are up 10-1 over the Yankees in the bottom of the 8th. The Met's power hitters are up to bat. You gonna tell them to strike out on purpose or try to walk as to not run up the score?Question

I guess that's the question.  Some people would have a problem with that, and consider that piling on.   Maybe not as much so in the pros, but in Little League, isn't there a "mercy rule"?
"Oh, bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 1:11am
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Unfortunately, both pro and college football take the total of points scored into consideration, for NFL playoff tiebreakers, and BCS rankings.

A few playoff tweaks the NFL made in 1990 and 2002 minimized that to something like the seventh order for tiebreaking.   College, yes, but I detest college football for those reasons anyway.  Football factory schools schedule weak cupcakes to crush regularly.  Thumbs%20Down

Let's say you are a Little League coach with a very very good team.....

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 11:31pm

Seems to me, most of the times I've seen blowouts happen, after a certain point, the winning team starts playing a conservative "ball control" offense anyway, sitting on their lead & chewing up the clock rather than running the sccore up.

If a team's lead is only like 30 points going into the second half, they have every reason to attempt to score more points, because 30 points can be overcome. But if it's the fourth quarter & one team is up by 56 points, it makes more sense to take your starters out, rest them up & not risk injuries & put in the 2nd string. Let them try to rack up some stats.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 11:03pm
I voted yes, only to your original question. (56-0 in the last quarter)

In college ball, the better your score vs. an opponent goes into the BCS ranking. If #4 Texas beats #1 Florida by 54-10, they get to the top of the rankings. If #4 Texas demolishes some unranked team, well, that's another story.

In Pro ball, there are contract clauses.
If so & so running back gets 2000 yards, he gets so & so extra money. You can't expect him to "accidently" stumble or slid down just because the other guy's defence can't stop him.
If the losing team's first string defence can't stop the other team, put in the second string. If you're up 34-0 opening up the second half, you "could" put your second stringers in but
I've rarely seen that happen. 
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 10:53pm
Unfortunately, both pro and college football take the total of points scored into consideration, for NFL playoff tiebreakers, and BCS rankings.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 10:45pm
I think good sportsmanship is more important than everything else.

And isn't Belchupchuck the same guy who was caught cheating by videotaping opponents' hand signals on the sideline then figuring out what they mean?

I'm not sure that dirtbag is really the guy who's philosophy one ought to use as a guide.

I'm just sayin..... Wink

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 10:09pm
True, true.  So, you don't feel that it's a patronizing pat-on-the-head?  Belichick runs up the score all the time, and his answer is that it's not his job to stop his team, it was theirs.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 10:07pm
I voted no.  Play your game!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:56pm
I voted yes.

If you're that far ahead, what's the point? You won.

Besides, you may find yourself on the losing end of that situation some day.

C'mon, man!
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:48pm
This debate rears it's head come playoffs time.   I am torn, myself, and have heard very good arguments both ways.

Sports fans, what do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic