Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things to do, Places to go: VACATION!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 9:59pm
It probably won't happen this year, but we're seriously planning a trip to Italy.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

It probably won't happen this year, but we're seriously planning a trip to Italy.

***A 'MUST'!!!***

Spent some time there in the late 1970's...Bolzano, Rome, Florence, Naples, Pompeii! DID NOT make it to Venice (someday we will!). 

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 9:03pm
On a serious note:

"Living a Dream"

One of my colleagues from the workplace JUST left for a two-week vacation, today.

I SERIOUSLY envy him!

He hit the 'Cadillac' of camps - taking his son - who we are both trying to help get his 'Civic Obligation' completed (now only 8 hours) for Eagle Scout...yet, he didn't finish before making it to Philmont (I never got there - but we had a LOT of chatter before he left).
Maybe some of us remember our 'Boy Scout Days'. I was a 'Life' scout; never made 'Eagle' - something I somewhat regret. If we made it that far - and I'm certain some of us did, you were aware of some of the SERIOUS wilderness excursions available...mine were all through the first two areas listed below...and to think we only needed to be 13, or older...
These were SERIOUS wilderness trips; if something goes wrong, or you survive through what you have learned, or you are really, really SCREWED...a survival trip can be somewhat like a 'controlled war with real life out in the wild'; or it can be simply incredible! And you can take kids with you!

The reward is unlike anything else you'll experience.

A number of the other friends from our group came around to get my opinion about B's age, considering how rough this trip was going to be..."He's TOO OLD! It's TOO ROUGH!"...nawwww.
What a bunch of f'n wimps. 
I'd be there in a 'Mississippi Minute'!

...and you can do it not just for yourself, but for the KIDS!
Yu end up looking at life just a bit differently.
I am certain they will see little sense in baggy pants, incorrectly-worn baseball hats, and other 'street survival' ways...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:42pm
...a long-overdue return vacation (Munich)! I lived on the other side of the 'Black Forest' for about 6 years...JUST found this WONDERFUL DAWN PHOTO!!!! I'm ready to go, NOW!

%28print%20image%29

...and so is she....
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 2:46am
Go see 'haunted' places!!! This one is right down the road....
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 3:38am
Wow, that's one scary ass building Pa!!! I often have to pass the Danvers State asylum in MA, it's on a hill and, I swear, you can almost see bats flying around it!!!Shocked
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

Wow, that's one scary ass building Pa!!! I often have to pass the Danvers State asylum in MA, it's on a hill and, I swear, you can almost see bats flying around it!!!Shocked
We have lots of architecture that was influenced by Dutch and German settlers - means we have a LOT of buildings that are spooky...Albany has a lot, too - and then there is Troy, directly north of Albany...THAT is one ooooooold town! 
Now...about YOUR print...is THAT a local asylum, a town, or BOTH? Confused
What a shame they've just about demolished the whole place....
Then again, we have neat places like this....(I'm a BIG fan of this architect).

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 1:35pm

And after, you could go to the Salem Witch Museum which gave me many nightmares as a child.  (I went there when I was way too young.)

Danvers was the actual site of Salem Village, where the hysteria of 1692 ocurred.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 1:51pm
We really enjoyed Salem - MissyDWolf seemed so at ease, so....'home'! We took a lot of photos; think only ONE came out. There is SO much to see around the area.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 8:00pm
I know I'm hitting everyone from left field on this topic, but I enjoy going to Scotland when on holiday.

The Highlands are my favourite place, but it's a place one needs to get used to. If anyone wanted to travel to Scotland for the first time, try the Edinburgh region.

It give one the taste of Scotland, without overdoing the harsher/colder climate of the Highlands.

Scot's people are charming, not overpowering, and the clothing/food/atmosphere/music/and lovely single malt Scot's Whiskey is worth the trip.

It's also affordable. Consult a travel agency.

btw i have a few days off starting on Friday this week. I'll be heading to the Philadelphia Folk Festival, as I always do. If anyone wants to meet me there, give me a holler!
One man gathers what another man spills
shamWOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamWOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 11:06am
Next April I'm going to Perth. My friends Tania and Johnny live there and they are renewing their vows.

Also, my sister is joining the Navy and hopes to get stationed in Japan like I did, if she gets it I'm going to go back for a little while.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 10:24pm

BM, the MORE I read about Danvers SA, the more it drags me to tears!
Thank You - and I MEAN IT.
Sometimes it is good to 'level-set'; to take life from 'humor' back to 'bold-faced reality'.
Rip the 'silver lining' from it, per se...

I knew NOTHING of this place; it REALLY held a significant place in our history.

And it is GONE.

And, thus is SO much history, art, and, well...GOOD stories of well-intended individuals, who worked with only the best intent for those that required a 'safe haven' - and, for once, the loving care they received - the friendships and 'family ties' that were established in the name of saintly care and brotherhood....considering we may only learn and progress from that which has gone before, well overall, we appear to have made a very serious and critical mistake - one that affects SO VERY MANY IN NEED!

From one uneducated perspective, we, as a culture, have done ourselves a disservice...I have some time off coming up - thanks for the inspiration! I might very well take a little trip to Boston...and find my way to the Cemetery; stand there and look towards what once was...and sit, daydream, and simply wonder....and to apologize for what *I* believe we may have done to our 'Angels in Need'...how we've let our own 'humanity' sink.

I believe I stated, sometime back, *I* am the ONLY person in my immediate family that DID NOT chose to get a formal degree in Psychology - and thus, have the ability to practice in the profession...and that includes my own beloved Father, who retired a 'Buck Sergeant', in the U.S. Army...the family all did this to better understand their 'fellow man' = to provide a service, to give back, to be there...and, now - at this time, NOBODY professionally practices, anymore.
I, in those days, never really wanted to 'understand'; these days, I cannot seem to help myself from making every attempt...
It hurts.

Danvers was a WONDERFUL place.

Thank God many didn't end up at nearby McLean...oh...what people do NOT know...

What have we done?

AThomas917, for some reason, I believe, might have true professional insight, here...  
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by shamWOW shamWOW wrote:

Next April I'm going to Perth. My friends Tania and Johnny live there and they are renewing their vows.

Also, my sister is joining the Navy and hopes to get stationed in Japan like I did, if she gets it I'm going to go back for a little while.

Excellent! Perth is quite nice. Beautiful scenery, and Scone Castle is awesome. Enjoy yerself!

Welcome to the board! It's great to see so many new commercial haters on board here.
One man gathers what another man spills
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

BM, the MORE I read about Danvers SA, the more it drags me to tears!
Thank You - and I MEAN IT.
Sometimes it is good to 'level-set'; to take life from 'humor' back to 'bold-faced reality'.
Rip the 'silver lining' from it, per se...

I knew NOTHING of this place; it REALLY held a significant place in our history.

And it is GONE.

And, thus is SO much history, art, and, well...GOOD stories of well-intended individuals, who worked with only the best intent for those that required a 'safe haven' - and, for once, the loving care they received - the friendships and 'family ties' that were established in the name of saintly care and brotherhood....considering we may only learn and progress from that which has gone before, well overall, we appear to have made a very serious and critical mistake - one that affects SO VERY MANY IN NEED!

From one uneducated perspective, we, as a culture, have done ourselves a disservice...I have some time off coming up - thanks for the inspiration! I might very well take a little trip to Boston...and find my way to the Cemetery; stand there and look towards what once was...and sit, daydream, and simply wonder....and to apologize for what *I* believe we may have done to our 'Angels in Need'...how we've let our own 'humanity' sink.

I believe I stated, sometime back, *I* am the ONLY person in my immediate family that DID NOT chose to get a formal degree in Psychology - and thus, have the ability to practice in the profession...and that includes my own beloved Father, who retired a 'Buck Sergeant', in the U.S. Army...the family all did this to better understand their 'fellow man' = to provide a service, to give back, to be there...and, now - at this time, NOBODY professionally practices, anymore.
I, in those days, never really wanted to 'understand'; these days, I cannot seem to help myself from making every attempt...
It hurts.

Danvers was a WONDERFUL place.

Thank God many didn't end up at nearby McLean...oh...what people do NOT know...

What have we done?

AThomas917, for some reason, I believe, might have true professional insight, here...  

Big Momma, this really got me going....thank youHeart.

Some 'views'....and, a VERY LENGTHY STORY - one that should shake anyone HARD!

Views...

A 'real-life' interview and story, from Preston - it is long, but it is WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF READING!
(THIS COULD BE MADE A MOVIE, ALONE!)

The MAIN SITE:

Awwwwwwwwwww....personally, it hurts whenever I see those 'in need'...do you see them alone, dumped on the street?

Do you 'feel' them?

Do you really care?

Danvers is history - something once 'done right' - and thus, a 'vacation'.

Come home from 'vacation' with inspiration and motivation.

Be ready to 'make a difference'.... 

Wolfism #7: 
There is certainly no time to argue and fight when there is so much need to care...the matters of conflict of philosophy may be better left behind the matter of the basic caring for our fellow man. 

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 5:36pm
Tomorrow I'll be off to attend a Coaster Enthusiast Gathering at Waldameer Park in Erie, Pa. Then I'll spend the next four days in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area.

Next Year I plan to do another Mission Trip to Brazil with my Church.Thumbs%20Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Tomorrow I'll be off to attend a Coaster Enthusiast Gathering at Waldameer Park in Erie, Pa. Then I'll spend the next four days in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area.

Next Year I plan to do another Mission Trip to Brazil with my Church.Thumbs%20Up
REG!!!! Erie? Then Buffalo???!!!
Any chance you will be heading to "Martin's" (being a coaster buff, you will know where I'm talking about), this weekend?!!! We will be there - on the old, wooden coaster, this weekend! - Saturday, as a matter of fact! (it is 'in our back yard', per se...).
Wanna ride a coaster? You will LITERALLY be in our immediate territory - PM me!

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 6:25am
I'll be at Waldameer on Saturday. (The Coaster Enthusiasts will be having a Gathering there then.) On Sunday I'll visit Darien Lake, then head over to Rochester and spend the Evening at Seabreeze. On Monday I'll take a Side Trip to Toronto and descend upon Canada's Wonderland. I will visit Martin's on Tuesday(Which is my Birthday) I plan to have Brunch that day at the Anchor Inn (Birthplace of the Buffalo Wing) and Dinner at the Skylon Tower.Big%20smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 3:22pm
Pa, I remember all to well when the state hospitals were beginning to close, casting poor, helpless victims out into the streets, some of them became homeless. It IS  dreadful! I don't believe we do enough to help the victims of mental illness. Should you ever venture to Boston pm me please. Sadly, our trip to Niagara will have to wait, but we will get there sometime!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 1:48am

Well, Regulus has it all in order...but should remember, if going to the Skylon Tower, may as well spend $10 and take a SLOW ride on the close-by giant ferris wheel...

Martin's is a small park, but it has a fun, ricketty wood coaster ride. We rode it twice today; once in the very front, once it the very rear - I think Reg might agree that there is a different effect,depending upon where one sits.

'Daycation/Staycation'; I don't care what you call it - it was FUN. We WALKED to the park as we couldn't find bike locks - and didn't want to leave our bikes there.

There's a LOT more story here...maybe later - I'm exhausted...

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 2:38am
My wife is off this month, so we've been doing cheap things.  Wednesday we went to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton.  Admission is free, but there is enough to see for hours.  Everything from a Wright original to the Stealth bomber. 

Great place if you're ever in the area.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 2:46am
I just got back from my Trip. Waldameers new Coaster is AWESOME, it made it to no. 6 on my Top Ten Wood Coasters List!Thumbs%20Up Going into Canada is an Adventure. The Days of "Citizenship of Which Country?, How Long do you plan to stay?, Anything to declare/ Move along!" are Gone FOREVER!Unhappy I had my Luggage Searched THREE TIMES (Twice by Canadien Customs and Once by US Customs!Ouch (That's OK, they're only doing their jobs!)

On the lighter side if any of you need new Sandles I HIGHLY RECOMMEND visiting Niagara Falls and doing the "Cave of the Winds" Tour on Goat Island on the American Side. It will cost you Ten Bucks but they give you a Pair of Sandles (So you don't get your shoes wet) which YOU GET TO KEEP!Big%20smile 

You can't get a pair for that price at Wal-Mart!LOL

Oh yes, Next years Vacation will be a "Freebie"Approve Continental Airlines was GIVING AWAY Airline tickets on several flights Friday, including the one I was supposed to be on. (The Flights were overbooked) Needless to say I was more than happy to Volunteer my seat. I got a Free Dinner, a Free night's Hotel Room and a Free Breakfast the next morning, along with the Free Ticket!Cool
Poiuyt Power!!!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 5:50am
The only vacation happening rite EIGHT  eight  right now is probably only the one happening in my mind.

LOL

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 1:55pm
Holy Cow! How about a beautiful, little 'Island Trip'!
Italian%20Plague%20Graves%20Found
Madawee's plans for Italy sound so great; I went, back in the mid-1970's - but never made it to Venice (I've always wanted to take MissyD there).
Then...while playing one of my favorite games ('Learn a bit about History'), I ran into some of the following spine-tingling stuff:

...but WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!!!!
Look up this other little "Venetian Delight!"
Here's some PHOTOS!!!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 2:34am
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 12:41am

...for those that wish to stay within the continent....

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

The Taos Hum

Some residents and visitors in the small city of Taos, New Mexico, have for years been annoyed and puzzled by a mysterious and faint low-frequency hum in the desert air. Oddly, only about 2 percent of Taos residents report hearing the sound. Some believe it is caused by unusual acoustics; others suspect mass hysteria or some secret, sinister purpose. Whether described as a whir, hum, or buzz and whether psychological, natural, or supernatural no one has yet been able to locate the sound's origin.

and. if you cannot see the above (the stinkin' spirits grabbed it!)...well, how about...

http://gosw.about.com/od/sedonaarizona/a/sedonavortex.htm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic