Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy July 1st, or 4th!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy July 1st, or 4th!
    Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 5:46am
canada day.jpg

Sponsored Links

MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 1:24am
July 1st was Canada Day! They have less to celebrate than us!
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 2:28pm
Ugh. My local news right now is featuring cheap 4th of July hints.

1. Get your decorations at the Dollar Tree to save money.

How about not getting decorations at all? No one cares about 4th of July decorations. It's not Halloween or Christmas. That'll save money. Maybe just put out your flag.

2. Get a star-shaped cookie mold, and cut watermelon with it. Then put a stick through it as a handle.

Who comes up with this stuff?

3. Swirl red popsicles in water so it turns pink. It will seem like you're drinking rose' wine.

Really?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 2:40pm

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 2:52pm
^^^^^^^

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Ugh. My local news right now is featuring cheap 4th of July hints.

1. Get your decorations at the Dollar Tree to save money.

How about not getting decorations at all? No one cares about 4th of July decorations. It's not Halloween or Christmas. That'll save money. Maybe just put out your flag.

2. Get a star-shaped cookie mold, and cut watermelon with it. Then put a stick through it as a handle.

Who comes up with this stuff?

3. Swirl red popsicles in water so it turns pink. It will seem like you're drinking rose' wine.

Really?

Well, the popsicle idea is stupid, but the other two are OK.

A lot of people like to decorate for holidays and special occasions, and 💲🌳 is the cheapest way to go.

And if you have kids, the watermelon cookie cutter thing would be fun for them.

You crotchety old fart.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:18pm

I'd rather put my money and efforts into food and fireworks.

I used to make a huge pot of jambalaya for my 4th of July block party. It went over well. I'd put all this into it:

Beef strips
Chicken
Shrimp
Andouille sausage
Italian sausage
Bratwurst
Red, yellow, green bell peppers
Onions
Celery
Diced tomato
Kidney beans
Rice
Garlic
Pepper
Basil
Oregano
Cilantro

I'd cook it in chicken broth, and when it was done, I'd add fresh cilantro. I learned you don't cook cilantro. You chop it up and add it into the completed product.

It was kind of a jambalaya+. "Slop" works, too.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:36pm
All of that is more fun in an atmosphere with patriotic red, white and blue garlands and streamers and banners and Uncle Sam cutouts and brightly colored foil thingamajigs etc and so on.....

What kind of lame-ass 4OJ party doesn't have decorations???

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:45pm

Never had that stuff growing up. A barbecue, swimming (maybe) and, at night, a trip to Merrill Park for fireworks.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 3:47pm
Yeah, well neither did I, but that was back in the stone age before 💲🌳 existed.

No reason for anyone to have a 4OJ party without cheap decor in this day and age.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 4:19pm
We had John's Bargain Stores back then.

But, back then, not everything was made in China. Lotsa stuff was still being manufactured here. We would die if "Made in the USA" returned, and had to do without all our modern junk. Back then, some cheap crap was "Made in Japan", but not that much.

Funny, how we never see "Made in Japan", anymore.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm
Japanese and American workers demand too much in the way of pay and benefits, even for doing the most rudimentary jobs.

They want $15 an hour for working at McDonald's.

You cannot produce decent quality holiday decor or anything else they sell at 💲🌳 while paying your employees $15 an hour, plus vacation, holidays, etc, etc.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:49pm

We're now mining Laos and Cambodia for cheap labor.

God bless the peasants of the world. We love you and your chow mein!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:57pm
Hey... 65¢ a day American is decent money in those countries and they're happy to get it.

Help keep the family fed.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 9:07pm

Aren't stray dogs and cats free?

Hmmmm...I guess they still have to buy the ketchup.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 9:24pm
Well, ya'd like to have a side of rice and some bok choy with it.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 11:29pm

Who wouldn't?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Who wouldn't?

This guy.... Ron Swanson, meat lover extraordinaire.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:09am
A quiet July 4th for a change.  The people down the street didn't block it off, light bonfires,  & shoot fireworks for hours. Instead, they took their boat out someplace and did all that stuff...  LOL
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 8:41pm
It was slightly loud on the 4th. But someone last nigt shot off one of the big boom ones once.

We actually have friends who live in the downtown area where the city fireworks are shot off. I sat in the car and watched. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 1:29am
Very quiet in our neighborhood - mainly because it is comprised of old farts who are in bed by 8:30 pm! I feel really badly for the young kids who live here - how boring for them! School must feel like a great escape to them!
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 1:59am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

Very quiet in our neighborhood - mainly because it is comprised of old farts who are in bed by 8:30 pm! I feel really badly for the young kids who live here - how boring for them! School must feel like a great escape to them!

Here we have several younger ones who just like to make noise.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 1:59am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

Doubt the kids noice how quiet it is.

Because they're probably all holed up in their bedrooms playing video games or on Tik Tok or whatever.

Kids don't play outside anymore.

Of course given how unsafe it is these days, that's probably for the best.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 1:17am
There is a lovely family a couple of doors down from us - about 5 girls and one brother. He is absolutely great with his sisters,but I feel sorry for him during the summer months! I know he has one guy friend to hang out with, but I imagine his days must be boring. He doesn't appear to be the type to spend all his time playing video games - I think he might compete in dirt bike events, but that isn't every day!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 8:33am

^ Yeah, I could see that happening nowadays. Not so much for the "Boomers". I grew up on a street with five typical cookie cutter homes. Within that small stretch of suburbia, there were three of us boys the same age (me, Howie and Scotty), two more within one year of us (Georgie and Larry). On top of that, there was a playground, field and a baseball diamond directly across the street. I had kids galore to play with.

My bro (three yrs older than me) had to travel a little further for friends---like around the corner. To this day, his best friend is a kid from the neighborhood. Still hangs with him. In fact, he was over on Sunday. He's known this guy longer than he's known me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic