Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annie Live (NBC)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annie Live (NBC)
    Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:37am
When I first saw this during NBC's Sunday Night Football, I was thinking it was an SNL spoof. But...I think it's for real. Jesus H Christ! Do we really need this crap?

Sponsored Links

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:52am
My father, a big broadway buff, can't stand Annie, do I'm sure he'll be skipping this.
jon1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:34am
I've done 2 productions of Annie. It's actually a pretty good show when it's done right, and more emphasis is put on the adult characters and the Depression-era history. (The problem is that most people think it's just a kiddie show. It's not.)

That said, NBC has been very hit and miss with these live musicals. The Sound of Music was DOA, Peter Pan was horrendous. The Wiz started off great, with (original Broadway Dorothy) Stephanie Mills playing Aunt Em and knocking her song out of the park, then it went downhill quickly. Hairspray was a huge step up, and Jesus Christ Superstar was very well done, but one could argue that both John Legend and Norm Lewis were vocally miscast. (Legend didn't have the high notes, Lewis didn't have the low notes.)

The last attempt at a made-for-TV Annie (ABC, 1999) was disappointing, despite a pretty good cast. We'll see how this one is...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Thuumb Thuumb wrote:

When I first saw this during NBC's Sunday Night Football, I was thinking it was an SNL spoof. But...I think it's for real. Jesus H Christ! Do we really need this crap?

No, we don't need it. But think about it. All anyone has to do these days is take an old TV show or movie or play, and remake it with a black cast...and voila! A guaranteed critical (if not commercial) success.

tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:16pm
uh...
BLANNIE!!
yes i know there was a movie-but again, how bout a NEW
depression era show with Black characters? Y cop off off old crap?
This 'reinvention' is just lazy rip-offs of old material
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:55pm
These f'ing "Holiday Specials," total puke! 

ABC, they had some "Sing-A-Long" special with Queen songs a few weeks ago, my god that looked cringeworthy. 

HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm
I wonder how Jake feels about this 
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:58pm
I hated the comic strip, too! Blank eyed annoyance.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

I hated the comic strip, too! Blank eyed annoyance.

I never read it even once.

Looked BORING as hell.

And yeah, thse stupid looking blank eyes. 
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:11pm

Never read that strip, either. But I used to read Dondi in the Sunday paper. He, too, was an orphan, but his eyes were the opposite. Black dots vs white ones.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Never read that strip, either. But I used to read Dondi in the Sunday paper. He, too, was an orphan, but his eyes were the opposite. Black dots vs white ones.

So then, Satan's Spawn vs. Satan's Bride? 
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:24pm

Oh, little Miss Annie so assertive with the hands on the hipsErmm
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:31pm
Can't wait for the Caucasian version of "Roots" and the Latino version of "Gone With The Wind".
P.C. is something best served in small portions and gradually.
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 12:06am
Originally posted by verminstew verminstew wrote:

Oh, little Miss Annie so assertive with the hands on the hipsErmm

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of this....

And this....

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 12:34am

I wonder how many times she'll say...

"Talk to the hand, 'cuz the face ain't listening!!!"

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:37am
So if it's "live", how do they have previews of the show in the ads?  Time machine?  I'd watch it (meaning: tape it) if it had Madea in it...
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 4:56pm
Blannie is going to fail miserably...........but they're still going to cram it down our throats every break, every show coming back from break (in those little animation things at the bottom of the screen that block half the show and make it so you can't record it without having to see it), every show going into break, and air it dozens of times between now and Christmas.............because wokeness.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:00pm
And of course the (mom?) SternyLook McArmsFolded at the left is brimming over with attitude and sass too.  

She must be a strong independent woman that DON'T NEED NO MAN!! MMMMHMMMMMMMM *snap snap snap head wobble*
jon1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

So if it's "live", how do they have previews of the show in the ads?  Time machine?  

Please don't tell me you're serious. 
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:13pm
so is it little black  orphan  Annie? 

that doesn't sound very woke to me 
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by jon1 jon1 wrote:

So if it's "live", how do they have previews of the show in the ads?  Time machine?  

"Live", to me, means that it's being broadcast live as it's being performed. As such, we can't be seeing previews of it. It's like going to see a band perform live. You can't see that performance in advance of it actually happening.

The film of the broadcast can be replayed, at which point, it's not "live", just a rebroadcast of a live performance.

But what's posted in the preview above is just the characters dressed up and letting us know who they are. It's not really the performance.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:32pm
OTOH, they could have acted out scenes from the show beforehand in front of a camera for the express purpose of making the ads, but at broadcast time, it could still be live.

C'mon, man!
Banderboy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by jon1 jon1 wrote:

"Live", to me, means that it's being broadcast live as it's being performed. As such, we can't be seeing previews of it. It's like going to see a band perform live. You can't see that performance in advance of it actually happening.

The film of the broadcast can be replayed, at which point, it's not "live", just a rebroadcast of a live performance.

But what's posted in the preview above is just the characters dressed up and letting us know who they are. It's not really the performance.

Kinda sad you have to explain that.
Every day my mind grows keener- my good arm stronger--- my silly enemies more futile---
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:44pm
I can't believe NBC is lowing their competitive standard to Lifetime.
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by MontanaTrav MontanaTrav wrote:

And of course the (mom?) SternyLook McArmsFolded at the left is brimming over with attitude and sass too.  

She must be a strong independent woman that DON'T NEED NO MAN!! MMMMHMMMMMMMM *snap snap snap head wobble*

LOLLOLLOL
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic