Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things that you never see anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 21>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 8:58pm
This is supposedly still around, but I haven't seen it in eons:

Sponsored Links

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 10:11pm
Wow Smitty! I used to chew those like candy when I was 3-5 years old! I have not seen it lately either.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This is what I imagine Santa Claus' pubic hair to look like.  

EmbarrassedLOL

I'm kind of imagining it more as Mrs. Claus' pubic hair. LOL

If you really think about it, that is.......

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 4:19pm
Probably about the right size, too.  Lotta nights spent with Santa and his helpers at that cold North Pole these past several hundred years.  I heard Santa once confused it for a chimney.

JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 10:09am

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

PB, My Friend...You get STARS!!! CONGRATS!!!! No joke. YOU just gave me a lift; I'm NOT the 'last of my kind'. Thank you - I seriously enjoyed your post - I've a lighter heart! I started a VERY similar point in the rudeness thread. Come to the 'Great White North'....we can pull chairs out for our beloved women...the beer is on me (we'll let them talk intelligently). Might even get Hooty to 'skip up the street', per se...I'm CERTAIN the Hootette would fit right in the middle of all this amazingly rare GROUP-PUBLIC display that she is only used to experiencing at home...I'm thinkin' ALL the wimmins would like it...makes me smile simply picturing it.  [/QUOTE]

Pa, I will have to take you up on the offer, some time. 

Other things that you don't see anymore
  • VHS Video Tapes
  • Skeleton Keys
  • Children trick or treating by themselves
  • People offering their seats to pregnant women and older women/men
  • Someone offering to help a old lady cross the street.
  • Shows that didn't involve sex, drugs or anything gang related.  Except for a bunch of kids waiting to play ball
  • Electronic trolley bus

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 3:37am
I never see children under high school age riding their bicycles to school anymore.  This is thanks to all the psycho sicko perverts out there.  My son's school is less than a half mile from my house and has a paved bike-only road that leads right to it.  But  will NOT allow him to ride by himself because he must pass multiple woods and a cemetary where anyone could be lurking.  So either DARK MOTHER or I must drive him.  The bus is too unreliable.
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by DARK FATHER DARK FATHER wrote:

I do remember the milk man that put the milk into a styrofoam-lined metal box on the front porch.  Gone are they now, swept away!

Here in Federal Way WA., we have the milkman show up every Thursday morning to put milk, eggs, and other dairy products into a styrofoam-lined lidded metal box on our porch...guess it simply depends on where you live. Smile

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 4:56pm
Wow Angry, I had no idea that still happened!
When I was a kid the trash collectors had to walk into your yard to where ever you kept your metal trash cans and drag them to their truck to be emptied.  Now trash collection is curbside with the rolling Herbie Curbie trash containes.
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 7:16pm

... Now trash collection is curbside with the rolling Herbie Curbie trash containes.

I call those things "wheelie bins". LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 8:00pm
When was the last time anyone saw any of those mobile carnival rides?  Trucks used to come around my neighborhood in the summer equipped with little ferris wheels, whips, and some ride that used to rock to and fro (I forget what it was called).  They'd stop on various blocks and charge kids a nickel or a dime per ride.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 9:57pm

I never see children under high school age riding their bicycles to school anymore.  This is thanks to all the psycho sicko perverts out there.  My son's school is less than a half mile from my house and has a paved bike-only road that leads right to it.  But  will NOT allow him to ride by himself because he must pass multiple woods and a cemetary where anyone could be lurking.  So either DARK MOTHER or I must drive him.  The bus is too unreliable.

They used to provide(and maybe still do)a stall that we could park our bikes in. Put the front wheel in, padlock it and be done. Nowadays, the front wheel may still be there when school lets out.

When was the last time anyone had a basket on their bike? 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm

A 'Full Sevice' gas station

Aledo,%20IL%20:%20Your%20friendly%20full%20service%20gas%20station

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 1:11am
"Don't Cook Tonight Call Chicken Delight"

Sorry folks, but this is a long thread can't read it from the start...don't know if this place was mentioned, or if I even mentioned it before.  But for some reason I keep thinking about this place that has long vanished from CA.  I remember it from the 60's from my childhood.  I think there may be a few in the Northern Midwest and there are several in Canada.

plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:04am
read the first post and frankly do not want to read any more.  It just gets me so depressed what hell hole this country has become. ( America )  and yet people put up with the decline because of their no-longer-care attitude and their oh-well way of life.  It is disgraceful and disturbing to me to think of the future in another 30 years. 

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:32am
Wow Yiffy, when I started this post it was supposed to be pleasantly nostalgic.  I never meant to depress anyone.  And you are correct about how the world seems to be worse without some of these things that once existed.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

They used to provide(and maybe still do)a stall that we could park our bikes in. Put the front wheel in, padlock it and be done. Nowadays, the front wheel may still be there when school lets out.

My 1963 Schwinn Twinn tandem bike has the basket on it from its time period. 

My daughter's 1976 Murray Swinger has a basket on it from its time.

However these are RARE!
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:52pm

Wow Yiffy, when I started this post it was supposed to be pleasantly nostalgic.  I never meant to depress anyone.  And you are correct about how the world seems to be worse without some of these things that once existed.

Actually no, my apologies  I came back to see what kind of damage my comment caused.  It's just that I take the way things are headed on a downward spiral very seriously and my heart weeps for everyone.  I was meant to be born 60 - 70 years earlier but I was born in 1977 instead I really do not fit in but would have been perfect that many years ago.  I would have fit into society a lot better.  Didn't mean to be so down and I know you started this just for fun.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 6:05pm
Look on the bright side Yiffy, if you were born 60 or 70 years earlier, you might be dead now.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:44pm

However these are RARE!

Do you and Dark Mother ride that bike, DF?
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 10:01pm
The world is not in such a decline.
Violent crime is actually down in the US compared to the 19th century. Children's welfare was almost non existent.
Women were not only not allowed a voice but they were subject to abuse in some circles and the laws were not there to protect them.
Disease was rampant.
Infant/mother mortality rates were so high a baby living was something to celebrate.
Flush toilets exist now.

Literacy is up.
Blacks and other other minorities were worse off in many ways.
hell in the old days white minorities were treated awful. My great grandfather was refused work because when they discovered he was Irish he was rejected but if they suspected he was jewish it was worse.

youth gang violence in many ways was higher. In fact the boweries of eastern us were rampant with homeless youth begging and terrorizing the working class for money and mugging was a regular occurence.

Cholera
Small pox

Governments were ran by kings and queens and class societies.
europe was a hot bed of incestual cronyism and the violence they bestowed on one another and the lower classes was awful if not barbaric.
Communication was horrible.
Travel was close to exclusive without it offering a risk of fatality.
British imperialism ruined portions of the world to where we are picking up the pieces STILL.

Ancient greece complained of wild youth, and disrespecting of elders.

So f**k the good ol' days.
I love the stuff that was great and pine for simpler times
but I am also realistic and know that it isn't as bad as it has been.
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 4:53am
I miss the purple ditto machines (sometimes I wonder if I'd have turned out 'less weird' had I not always volunteered to run the machine for my class)

Real wood/metal playground equipment, none of this plastic crap.

Us 10-year-olds being allowed to roam the neighborhood in the summer

Homemade trick-or-treat goodies

Originally posted by Skerlnik Skerlnik wrote:

I read recently that they've made the last Polaroid. 

My mom found a production-model SX-70 camera in my grandmother's house...the film that is out there now is too new (different loading mechanism and I think the film itself is too sensitive).  I hear that a company is trying to rerelease the old "Time Zero" film...but we'd also have to find flash bars for the thing.
TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 4:54am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Decent shows on TV!LOL
I agree with you there!
Julie
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:30am

However these are RARE!

We sure do!  We also mounted a baby seat on the back for our 1 year old DARK DAUGHTER. This thing turns some heads.  Hard to believe that President Kennedy was still alive when this was made.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

Actually no, my apologies  I came back to see what kind of damage my comment caused.  It's just that I take the way things are headed on a downward spiral very seriously and my heart weeps for everyone.  I was meant to be born 60 - 70 years earlier but I was born in 1977 instead I really do not fit in but would have been perfect that many years ago.  I would have fit into society a lot better.  Didn't mean to be so down and I know you started this just for fun.
Apologies are not necessary.  I was not offended at all, I was just caught off guard by the sadness in your post. Sometimes when I think of the things that I miss from my childhood that have long since vanished I also feel sad.  But thanks to online auctions like Ebay I can recapture my childhood and share it with my (dark) children!  That is what I do with these vintage bikes that I collect.  I SHARE them with my kids by allowing them to see them in real life, not just listen to my stories of them.
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 7:14pm

However these are RARE!

We sure do!  We also mounted a baby seat on the back for our 1 year old DARK DAUGHTER. This thing turns some heads.  Hard to believe that President Kennedy was still alive when this was made.
This bike also has a few things you don't se on bikes anymore.  It has a down-tube shifter, unlike today's bikes that either have pushbuttons or twist-shifters.  Actually twist-shifters aren't new, they were on a lot of 3-speed bikes in the 60s and 70s.  And this bike has 5 gears in the back, most bikes nowadays have 8, 9, or even 10 gears in the back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 21>
  Share Topic