Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevrolet- 'Family of SUVs: Engineers'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevrolet- 'Family of SUVs: Engineers'
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:23pm
Ok!  I bought a 2018 truck. I don't have a garage anymore, it gets cold and nasty here in the winter.

Now!  For the aholes at Chevy and any other car company.

STOP DUMBING DOWN THESE VEHICLES FOR THE STUPID DISTRACTED YOUNG PEOPLE OF TODAY.

Don't take control of my truck away from me!  I have done just fine avoiding accidents without your tech-ass help!  AngryAngryAngry

Sponsored Links

Asmodeon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:41pm
Engineers?   Yeah right.   My neighbor just had his 2012 Chevy traverse dragged over to my driveway for my evaluation. Apparently, the timing chains in the 3.6 V6 engine failed, and he's going to need a new engine as the pistons have likely crashed the valves. It is nearly impossible to rebuild some of these newer engines because of the way they're designed. The timing chain issue is notorious with that particular Chevy V6, yet GM will not admit any fault; they state that they have repaired the problem as of the 2010 models. Then there is the oil seepage issue into the spark plug tubes in the Acadia engines. With GM, it never ends. They need to redirect their attention back to the fundamentals instead of adding microprocessors to every single function in their vehicles. (I am told certain new BMW cars have as many as 139 different microprocessors to control their car functions.)
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 5:27pm
The car makers should never allow this to happen. Yeah, they are going maximum horsepower, torque and efficiency.  They should allow for a valve not being in the right position when the piston is at TDC.

There are interference and non-interference engines.

In an interference, if the timing belt breaks, and valves are down by some measure, when the piston rises to the top of the bore, it will contact valves. Damage varies. Most of the time they will bend, but sometimes the head of the valve will break off, and bounce around inside the cylinder with the piston smashing it into the head, or the broken part of the valve will smash into the piston, or perhaps damage the bore.

Asmodeon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 11:34pm
That 3.6 V6 is an interference engine with very stretchy timing chains. I've replaced 15 of them. It's used in Chevy (Camaro, Traverse), Caddie, Suzuki. Back on topic: notice how car commercials are now like perfume ads? It's no longer about handling, durability, features; it's about how a car makes you feel, especially that moronic Nissan Sentra spot where a woman is passed over for a promotion, then is told to "drop that taco" and get into the Sentra with some unknown driver who then proceeds to equate her career aspirations with owning a Sentra. Anyone remember "See the USA in your Chevrolet"?
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Asmodeon Asmodeon wrote:

That 3.6 V6 is an interference engine with very stretchy timing chains. I've replaced 15 of them. It's used in Chevy (Camaro, Traverse), Caddie, Suzuki. Back on topic: notice how car commercials are now like perfume ads? It's no longer about handling, durability, features; it's about how a car makes you feel, especially that moronic Nissan Sentra spot where a woman is passed over for a promotion, then is told to "drop that taco" and get into the Sentra with some unknown driver who then proceeds to equate her career aspirations with owning a Sentra. Anyone remember "See the USA in your Chevrolet"?

Look up '80s commericals for sports cars like the Pontiac Firebirds/Dodge Daytona/Chevy Camaro etc.
The neon lights, the music, the steam coming off the dark roads at night so the headlights of the car can cut through it on it's way to pick up or drop off an attractive young lady at a night club. They were pretty blatant with the "this car will get you laid!" angle. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic