Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Charlie Daniels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Charlie Daniels
    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:53pm
Death comes in threes sadly. Play that fiddle loud and proud up in heaven buddy! RIP! CryCryCryCryCry

Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Sponsored Links

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:05pm
What a loss and so sudden too! He was still active until his passing, even posting on Twitter just yesterday. May he R.I.P.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:56pm
I kinda stopped being a fan when he started becoming somewhat of a right-wing bible thumper.

I took my girlfriend to see him in concert in Ft. Pierce, Fla back around 1979.

I think that was right after The Devil Went Down To Georgia came out and the tour was in support of that album. 

Ran into a bunch of guys I went to high school with and we partied with them.

Good concert.

Anyway, RIP Charlie D.

This was the first Charlie Daniels song I ever heard. I was in the 10th grade, my sister had just gotten a new car and she was driving us out to the beach. 

On the way there, this song came on the radio....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 7:01pm

His political beliefs really matter to you? Jeez, if a musical artist's political beliefs determined who I listened to, I'd be listening to no music at all.

RIP, Charlie.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

His political beliefs really matter to you? Jeez, if a musical artist's political beliefs determined who I listened to, I'd be listening to no music at all.

RIP, Charlie.

No more than liberal entertainers' political stances matter to you.

I believe I recall you having commented on that very subject before, have I not?

Something about how they should keep them to themselves etc, etc.... 

Ermm
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm
I never said that. The most I've said is that leftists should stick with the arts because that's what they're good at. Socio-political commentary, not so much.

But liberal entertainers beliefs don't matter to me. I expect them to be leftists. I accept that. How else could I claim as my favorites groups like the Jefferson Airplane. Hell, even Black Sabbath is on the BLM bandwagon.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm
Well, I believe you've commented a bit more extensively on the subject than that, but it's nothing to argue about. Besides, I think you took my comment a bit too seriously. I said I "kinda stopped being a fan", which was not = to "I don't like him anymore because he's espouses conservative political opinions" but more like "His right-wing views have sort of taken a bit of the shine off of him in my eyes".

And really, it had more to do with him changing some of the lyrics to his songs to be more "G" rated than it did his comments outside of the recording studio.

Gone were all the references to smoking weed in songs like "Long Haired Country Boy" and "The Ballad of the Uneasy Rider" in the above video and calling the Devil a "son of a gun" instead of the original "son of a bitch" in "The Devil Went own To Georgia".

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:35am
Also gone today:  Cry

https://www.cnet.com/news/ennio-morricone-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-composer-dies-aged-91/
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Anyway, RIP Charlie D.

This was the first Charlie Daniels song I ever heard. I was in the 10th grade, my sister had just gotten a new car and she was driving us out to the beach. 

On the way there, this song came on the radio....

RIP

What a great old song!

I was takin' a trip out to LA
Toolin' along in my Chevrolet
Tokin' on a number and diggin' on the radio

These five big dudes come strolling in
With this one old drunk chick and some fella with green teeth
And I was almost to the door when the biggest one
Said, "You tip your hat to this lady son!"
And when I did, all that hair fell out from underneath
Now the last thing I wanted was to get into a fight
In Jackson Mississippi on a Saturday night
Especially when there was three of them and only one of me
But they all started laughing and I felt kinda sick
And I knew I better think of something pretty quick
So I just reached out and kicked ol' green teeth right in the knee
Now he let out a yell that'd curl your hair

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:58pm
A lot of people don't know it, but he owed his fame, fortune and musical career to Bob Dylan who chose him over another better guitar player for his 1968 album Nashville Skyline....

A couple of other guys from that album also went on to become members of The Charlie Daniels Band.

If you've never heard this album, or just aren't a Dylan fan, I recommend you check this one out....

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic