Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ANNOYING CLICHES !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANNOYING CLICHES !
    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:14pm
A trend ?   Any gag inducing commercial that forces over used cliches 
Some examples..: 

YOU GOT THIS !
ITS A WIN WIN ! ( or with Kraft the ENYA WIN WIN ! )
ITS A GAME CHANGER !
NO BRAINER !
NO WORRIES !

( ADD NAUSEATING CLICHE HERE ) I want to know who decided that annoying cliches HAVE to be forced down our throats and every ad agency HAS to go that route !
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:17pm
Think outside the box
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Think outside the box

Taco Bell has "Think outside the bun"  but I will allow it for stealing another over used log-steamer
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:41pm
If anyone cares,  "You got this"  ( I heard it made into a song/chant in one of the newer ads ) and "Game Changer"  are the ones that reallllllly irritate me   (almost as much as a smug millennial using  "So...."  to start every answer to anything asked of them on Shark Tank - but that complaint is for another web page ) 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 3:51am
"Not Sorry"

Absolutely can't stand that and have not touched a REESE'S in a few years now.,
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:51am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

"Not Sorry"

Absolutely can't stand that and have not touched a REESE'S in a few years now.,

Yea that ad has been thrown at us for a few years now in different variations.  I don't blame you!

I am having a brain freeze thinking of other cliches,  probably because they re-use "You got this" and "Game Changer"  so many times,  it makes me want to kick someones a@@ on my TV.   Shoot,  I had one on my mind and it slipped........That's a lose-lose for me/us !  
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:09pm
Enjoy The Go

Go Commando

MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:46am
Theme restaurants (Applebee's is the biggest offender but the others are starting to follow suit) calling appetizers apps.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:59am
Not commercial related, but crime shows like CSI and law and order starting to call the victim "the vic" to and then over-using the hell out of talking about "the vic" to make it look like they're all hip to the real-world lingo.

Also, on these same crime shows, the bartenders.  You know, the infamous bartenders where the detectives go in and ask them about some random person in New York City and the bartender knows the exact time and date of the last time "the vic" was in, what they were wearing, what their girlfriend's name was, what the weather was like, what was playing on TV, what song was playing, what they were driving, what they ordered, where they work, their address and that they had a fight with one of the suspects............which this bartender ALSO knows all of the same aforementioned details about, because the suspect just happens to frequent this same bar in New York City as well!

The last time "the vic" Ermm visited this bar could have been a year ago, it could have been a decade ago, it could have been 1985.  It doesn't matter - this bartender remembers.  Steel trap.  
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by MontanaTrav MontanaTrav wrote:

Not commercial related, but crime shows like CSI and law and order starting to call the victim "the vic" to and then over-using the hell out of talking about "the vic" to make it look like they're all hip to the real-world lingo.

Also, on these same crime shows, the bartenders.  You know, the infamous bartenders where the detectives go in and ask them about some random person in New York City and the bartender knows the exact time and date of the last time "the vic" was in, what they were wearing, what their girlfriend's name was, what the weather was like, what was playing on TV, what song was playing, what they were driving, what they ordered, where they work, their address and that they had a fight with one of the suspects............which this bartender ALSO knows all of the same aforementioned details about, because the suspect just happens to frequent this same bar in New York City as well!

The last time "the vic" Ermm visited this bar could have been a year ago, it could have been a decade ago, it could have been 1985.  It doesn't matter - this bartender remembers.  Steel trap.  

Yea - NYPD Blue was a big offender of exactly what you are saying here -  I did google one or two of them and found out they are really used,  but before we had Google, and you weren't related to a cop - would you know what the hell  "Do the fives" (paperwork)  meant ?   Or "put a rush on the bus" ( ambulance ) 
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 1:41am
Any time they bleat out Booya is a capital offense .
I approve this message.
Limnognathia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limnognathia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:13pm
My dad mentioned something to me about this commercial.
[TUBE]KlzoT3gZ50c
How is this a win win?
"Yeah, I couldn't get my kid to eat vegetables, but I got her to eat some sh*t with no nutritional value. Win win."
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:27pm
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:31am
Anytime 'my bad' is employed i vomit a little
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:51am
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

We used to say "my bad" all the time.... "back in the day". (do people still say that one?)

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:00am
"Own it," or, "Own the [something intangible]."

"Get your [feeling associated with the product] on."

[Verb] like a boss," or if you're GMC, "[verb] like a pro." It's especially obnoxious when they use a noun as the verb!
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:31pm
I'm getting sick of hearing "I got-choo!!!" (I got you) as in I am here for you.

In commercials, it's always a black guy saying it.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:17pm
Where to start?

Mixed race couples of which more seem to exist in commercial land than in real life LOL

The husband/boyfriend is always shown as a dope and the wife is smart

A kid does something highly obnoxious like fling food or a colored drink all over the place and mom reacts by merely being amused instead of what would've happened to me or you "back in the day" by which I mean buried in a shallow grave in the back yard 

When a house party or crowd at a Buffalo Wild Wings is shown watching an off screen football game (all races and sexes equally represented of course) and they all suddenly jump up and cheer at once in an over the top manner usually reserved for your team winning the Super Bowl or the ten million dollar lottery

People doing fist bumps with the hand "explosion" after. Nobody does this. Ever. Ermm

People in commercials always seem to reside only in very expensive mansions in very expensive neighborhoods 

jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

We used to say "my bad" all the time.... "back in the day". (do people still say that one?)

I just did LOL
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:22pm

Don't forget how the show's detectives or private eyes or whoever the good guys are always hang out in giant rooms with these huge computer monitors everywhere showing all kinds of futuristic looking data at all times. This is normally when someone will demand "Enhance!" to make a survellience photo of a perp bigger but yet somehow not blurrier 
Which also brings up the cliche of the resident "hacker" who only needs to furiously bang on a keyboard for a few seconds before announcing "I'm in!" 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

Don't forget how the show's detectives or private eyes or whoever the good guys are always hang out in giant rooms with these huge computer monitors everywhere showing all kinds of futuristic looking data at all times. This is normally when someone will demand "Enhance!" to make a survellience photo of a perp bigger but yet somehow not blurrier 
Which also brings up the cliche of the resident "hacker" who only needs to furiously bang on a keyboard for a few seconds before announcing "I'm in!" 

LOL

One of the main reasons I don't watch modern day crime dramas.

I'd watch the same 230-something episodes of The Rockford Files over and over again for the rest of my TV watching days before I'd waste 5 minutes watching any modern crime drama.

C'mon, man!
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:48pm
Vacay.   Took me a couple times hearing that to figure out they're talking about a vacation.  What's so hard about saying vacation?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Vacay.   Took me a couple times hearing that to figure out they're talking about a vacation.  What's so hard about saying vacation?

And don't forget "stay-cation" or possibly even "staycay" for stay in town vacations.

Almost as bad as "cray-cray" for crazy.

C'mon, man!
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:25pm

The English-speaking world (at least the American part) is experiencing an epidemic of syllabophobia!
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

And don't forget "stay-cation" or possibly even "staycay" for stay in town vacations.

Almost as bad as "cray-cray" for crazy.

I "nominated" "staycation" to Lake Superior State University's famous annual List of Words to Be Banished...For Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness. They quoted me asserting that "staycation" should be put on a "slow boat to nowhere."

As for "cray-cray" (and "po-po" for police), why is baby talk hip?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic