Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chantix - Slow Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chantix - Slow Turkey
    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:17am

Anything creepier than this CG turkey? I guess it's (seriously) less creepy than Ray Liotta.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:58pm
There is a second Slow Turkey commercial, I was not able to find it.  So I'll post this! Tongue

Dejoh View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dejoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:33am
I think the "Slow Turkey" commercial is actually pretty good.  Lots of artistic talent went into the production.  Other than the usual gibberish of see your doctor if you have mental illness. Its relaxful.
There's a sucker born every minute.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:01am
Chantix messes with you - I used it for 30 days and it failed, the Missus used it for 60 and it worked, but she stroked out, so it didn't matter anymore and I don't like that turkey in the commercial - he's got a 'doofy'-look. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:51pm
I used Chantix, broke out in a horrible rash on the side of my face, had to go to the doctor for a steroid shot.  Lovely dreams though.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:54am
Did it work? Did you stop smoking?

I never had any dreams I could relate to Chantix, but life sure was boring for a bit...until I got a cig and a beer...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:30pm
If quitting has traditionally been called, cold turkey, shouldn't this ad be called Hot Turkey?
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Did it work? Did you stop smoking?

I never had any dreams I could relate to Chantix, but life sure was boring for a bit...until I got a cig and a beer...

Nah, I didn't have any luck with Chantix because I couldn't take it anymore after the rash thing.  Then I tried the patch, which worked pretty good.  I was able to go to an e-cig after that.  Not a great solution but at least I'm off cigarettes.  But I agree with you Pa, life just isn't as much fun anymore.  I used to sit around with hubby by the pool and have a few beers and relax with some cigarettes and now I just sit in the house watching horrible commercials on TV.  He still smokes so it's hard to be around his cigarette smoke.  (We don't smoke in the house.)  Sorry...kind of a downer post, I know.  Ermm
Sunny View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 1:02am
I think the commercial is hilarious but not in the way they intended.   To me the turkey reminds me of hallucinations and "waking nightmares" from the commercial below.  
Because of course a turkey would be mowing your lawn.

I think I've posted this before but it applies, so here it is again.  One of my favorites.

Saturday Night Live Chantix commercial.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/chantix/n1333

On a related note, I quite many years ago. It was hard, but it can be done and it was worth it. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:36am
I quit last February.  Never even tried before (and I smoked 1+ packs/day for 43 years!), but I had no problems---no withdrawal, no nicotine fits, no strong urges, nothing.  I think what I had done was convince myself I no longer liked to smoke, so by the time I did quit, I was completely ready, completely "done" with smoking.

Once in awhile, I wonder what it'd be like to have a smoke "for old time's sake", but I do worry that that might be the catalyst that sends me back to the tobaccy habit.  I just don't wanna tempt fate, so I don't.

Sunny View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 1:28pm
Congratulations Thor! 
Regarding tempting fate, yeah that's one of the biggest hurdles.   It's like a pizza commercial. You're sitting around, not thinking about pizza, until there it is gooey cheese and all, in HD, and suddenly you find yourself grabbing the phone and ordering a pizza.

So with cigarettes, what worked for me is not to entertain the thought.  Break the mental habit. I would go take a walk and breathe the fresh air - that helped.   Put a little incense out in the air.   Remember how nasty cigarettes smell - hair, clothing, breath.   (Because  kissing a smoker is not sexy). I would change the thought to how good healthy food (for instance fruit) would smell or taste.  One trick is to take something nasty from cigarettes (like filters or butts or a dirty ashtray) and put water in it to make it even grosser, and put it next to a fresh-air window as a reminder of how I don't want to smell. 

I had a few smoking dreams over the years that were so realistic I wasn't sure I hadn't smoked! 

It's been a great decision to stay stopped. I was in my twenties and could barely breathe from being a heavy smoker and thought, oh this isn't right.  Back then everyone smoked so I just went with the herd. Quit and never regretted it a single day.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:18am
2 smokers here. I switched to making our own cigarettes to save money.

I finally found the other 'Slow Turkey' commercial!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:30pm
Anybody ever do the turkey neck gag at the family get together?  Embarrassed  Before my parents died, we were a crazy bunch of adult children! I had 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

Ever wonder where the wish bone was?

The wishbone is the forked chest bone found in any bird. Its odd shape is formed from the fusion of the bird's two clavicles, commonly known as collarbones, at the base of its sternum. It's situated between the bird's neck and chest.
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

we were a crazy bunch of adult children! I had 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

It all makes sense now...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

we were a crazy bunch of adult children! I had 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

It all makes sense now...
Hey!  I resemble that remark!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:21pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 7:55pm

Ever wonder where the wish bone was?

RKellyWolf sez, "No...but having said that, want to know where MY 'wish bone' is?"

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 3:32pm
Number 4 in the 'slow turkey' series!

Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 11:45pm

Number 4 in the 'slow turkey' series!

I actually like the turkey video. The CGI is quite realistic, anthropomorphic bird notwithstanding. Cool imitation classic Ford Bronco.
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
catt_al View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:59pm
"I've got a great idea, Chantix lets you quit at your own pace" "Well, there's no hook in that, how are people going to get excited about quitting smoking without a hook?"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by catt_al catt_al wrote:

"I've got a great idea, Chantix lets you quit at your own pace" "Well, there's no hook in that, how are people going to get excited about quitting smoking without a hook?"

Confused Do you now or have you ever smoked for any length of time? 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:13pm
Totally based on my own experience (after 43 years smoking 1+ packs/day, I simply quit one day---no nicotine fits or anything), I sometimes think people have bought too heavily into the "quit smoking" industry.  I think many people just assume they're going to need the help of some product like Chantix or Juul or Nicorette or hypnotism or whatever, without even trying to just stop on their own.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Totally based on my own experience (after 43 years smoking 1+ packs/day, I simply quit one day---no nicotine fits or anything), I sometimes think people have bought too heavily into the "quit smoking" industry.  I think many people just assume they're going to need the help of some product like Chantix or Juul or Nicorette or hypnotism or whatever, without even trying to just stop on their own.

When it comes to tobacco...even though my Father also quit 'cold turkey' one day, I cannot agree with you. There were times I would literally pick out a short from a public ashtray. The urge or desire was always worse when combined with other addictive substances or behavioral habits, too.

Now, when it comes to coffee or caffeinated products, I would agree with you as I quit one day and never looked back...literally forgot to, for quite some time (I will grab free quality coffee anytime, but that is very rare). I really never got a 'caffine buzz', even though I used to drink pots a day with no ill effect or sleeplessness. I just plain forgot coffee. In fact, when I quit, I do not recall it even being a conscious decision - I think the pot was empty or something and I was too lazy to do anything about it and turned to whatever else was around to drink.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 8:45am
I say people should at least try to quit on their own.  One never knows.  I certainly surprised myself.  I think many people just buy into the notion that it's going to be really difficult, and they're convinced they're going to need Chantix or whatever.  It's not necessarily so.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I say people should at least try to quit on their own.  One never knows.  I certainly surprised myself.  I think many people just buy into the notion that it's going to be really difficult, and they're convinced they're going to need Chantix or whatever.  It's not necessarily so.

CryYou're always right...my, how you've changed.
Image result for old maid photo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic