Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People singing off-key

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People singing off-key
    Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 6:35am
[This has probably been addressed somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything about it.  I recall seeing something about advertising offenses, but I couldn't find that either.]

Right now, there is a proposition on the California ballot for funding for children's hospitals.  As important as they are, here's the problem.  They have a group of kids in a recording studio, singing John Lennon's Imagine.  Unfortunately, some of them are tone-challenged and very off-key. 

This used to be much more of an issue, as I believe it was a more popular trend a decade or so ago.  But it always turns me off to whatever product is being sold.  Why, oh why, OH WHY do they insist on having tone-deaf people sing?!

As a singer myself, I experience something called empathy, where it literally HURTS to hear this.  I am convinced that every time this commercial plays, somewhere a dog commits suicide.

At least I know this particular commercial will be gone after Tuesday.  I don't know if I can survive that long.  MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

Sponsored Links

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 6:40am
Imagine no tone-deafness, it's easy if you try...eee-yyyy!LOL
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 7:38am
I hate these as much as when they do one of those "synchronized talk" things where they show several different people reading the same paragraph or sentence.    You know, when one person says one word, then they cut to another different person for the next word and repeat that.     
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 7:41am
Originally posted by N-Dizzle N-Dizzle wrote:

I hate these as much as when they do one of those "synchronized talk" things where they show several different people reading the same paragraph or sentence.    You know, when one person says one word, then they cut to another different person for the next word and repeat that.     

Oh God, that absolutely drives me crazy!  The latest one is from Kellogg's Smart Start cereal.  I was thinking earlier, when I saw it, that they have a history of horrible ads.  First it was a woman with a man's voice, and now it's repetetetetive.

Another case for the Department of Redundancy Department! Big%20smile
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 3:57pm

The Imagine commercial is horrible!  Here 'tis.

The one I hate more, though, is the one in support of California Prop 2---to allow livestock the ability to move about within their cages.  I have to change the channel whenever it comes on.  Makes me sick.  I'd post it here, but then I'd have to possibly watch it. 

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 4:37pm
this comes to mind

YOOOUUUU MADEEEE ME LOOOVEEEE YOOOOU...

I Didn't want to do it...Dead
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:00pm
This calls for another visit from Sea Bond.

Bye-bye, yuckiness!

Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The one I hate more, though, is the one in support of California Prop 2---to allow livestock the ability to move about within their cages.  I have to change the channel whenever it comes on.  Makes me sick.  I'd post it here, but then I'd have to possibly watch it. 

Oh, I know!!  But since I am usually only hearing the commercials, I don't see it.  But I think they are very effective commercials.  I know I'm voting for Prop 2!  I don't care if I have to pay a penny more per egg.  Actually, I already buy eggs from cage-free chickens (or so they say, anyway.)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:11pm

I think Trader Joe's cage-free eggs are truly cage-free.  I read something a while back about that.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think Trader Joe's cage-free eggs are truly cage-free.  I read something a while back about that.

Those are the ones I buy.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Bye-bye, yuckiness!

OMG, those women's voices make my skin crawl.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Bye-bye, yuckiness!

OMG, those women's voices make my skin crawl.

Like a band of Edith Bunkers.

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 7:42pm
Awww, JEEZ!!!ConfusedLOL
FootballFreak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootballFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 10:24pm
Yeah I see that commercial like 5 times in an hour on local channels here. I actually don't mind it but the prop 8 commercials are on overload with the "MOMMMMYYYYY! i LEARNED THAT A PRINCE CAN MARRY A PRINCE! OH EM GEEE" and the prop 4 commercial where the guy in his 20's talks about how your daughter can get an abortion without you knowing and he won't get caught.
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

this comes to mind

When Tom Kruze(the inventor)says, "I can't sing, but..."  I always yell, "NEITHER CAN THOSE OLD PEOPLE!"Unhappy

Oh, by the way, I recently saw a Hoveround for sale in one of our local "swap shop" type papers.  Its original price?  $8600. Ouch
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 4:22am
off-kay?

LOL
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 4:33am
Thanks, Ad N.  I fixed it. Embarrassed

SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 11:13pm
It's always children.  There are some children that can sing on-key, they just refuse to find them because they think people find it "cute".

It's one of the reasons I hate the show "Little Einsteins".  The girl whose "talent" is supposed to be singing is one of the most horrible singers I have ever heard.
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 11:56pm

this comes to mind

Lemon-freaking party...
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 7:14am
I fronted a rock/ metal band for over ten years, and while I am a guitar player and song writer at heart, I got sick of singers, (or people who THOUGHT they could sing) murdering my songs, sounding like someone standing on a billy-goats balls!! Bad singing litterally HURTS me!! I can't help it, but some songs out there, even from professionals, make me cringe!!! And they play these damned things over and over on an endless loop everywhere you go. So these commercials that I CANNOT escape from being piped into my house makes me feel like someone is ramming a boat oar deep into my middle ear while Freddy Kruger plays Knick Knack Paddy Whack on my friggin spine!!!

My grandmother is a SUPER RELIGIOUS woman, hailing from the "Old Timey" Pentecostal church. She loves those old, old, old, old spiritual hymns where they talk about being "jest a weary pilgrim trudging through this old world on my way to heaven." There is this local gospel TV station here, where anyone that wants to can plunk down a couple hundred bucks and be a TEEVEE ST-ARE!! I live in a HICK ASSED part of Tennessee, so you guys should hear this sh*t!! They have this call line where you can phone in requests for songs and prayer. I worked on the crew building this station, there is a lightswitch upstairs where they receive the calls, that connects to a big red light down in the studio. There is also a mic up there that feeds down to the control room, and their voice can go out over the airwaves and into the studio. The person answering calls can falsh the light, signaling that they want to talk to the people in the studio to let the "performers" have instant feedback, and to give them the requests. This is about what happens almost any given moment you turn it on.

The "host of the hour" will stop their caterwalling  and "banjer bangin" for a minute and say, "Hi thar all you'uns out thar'n tee-vee lay-end! We gonna take'a minit er two ta ainser sum cawls'n weel tri'ta git'um sung fer ye as sooon as we kin! Wait'a minit...Hey yeeuh thar, go ahead thar redlight!"

NOW, the EXTREMELY unprofessional call taker blasts on, three time louder than they should be, that is, IF the sound tech has that mic channel open at all.  "Hey thar bruther so-n-so, Beaula Leadbetter cawled inta say she wasa en-joy'n tha prooo-gram and wonted ewe ta sang'er a good'un, anta pray fer her. Poor'o thang jest kant seemta git'er back, an her layggs, an'er hay-ends ta kweit hertin her!!" This is where I usually yell at the TV, "It's because she's 98 years old!! At 98, she's lucky if her back, legs and hands are ALL that hurt!!" NO, I don't turn this stuff on at home, but occasionally my grandmother calls me to come and fix her washer or fish out something she's dropped down the sink drain, and she has this channel BLASTING, cause she can't hear very well. OMG!!! Talk about bad singing??? Those folks on the Hoveround commercials could win Grammys compaired to these f**k-tards!! I wish we could somehow post personal videos on here. I'd record some of it and show you, only I like you guys too much to subject you to this sh*t!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 7:18am
Bye-Bye Paste

Bye BYE YUCKINESS

I thought I was gonna cry

GIVE SEABOND A TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY!!!!!!!

LOL
Dead

dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 2:49am

Bye-Bye Paste

Bye BYE YUCKINESS

I thought I was gonna cry

LOL
Dead

No, you mean "Give Sea Bond a Trah-Try!" (all staccato and separated!)  LOL

Ugh, they came out with a newer Sea Bond commercial recently.  This one has a close up shot of a woman licking her false teeth all sensually much like you would see in a program not meant to be shown on broadcast TV. Dead Shocked Exclamation  Imagine how big that wagging tongue and mouth looks on a 40" TV and you can feel the horror I felt when I first saw it, knowing who it belonged to (they zoom out to show the offending woman after the teeth lick).
kk218 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kk218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 7:53pm
Speaking of John Lennon...

What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, and I'll try not to sing out of key!
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 10:32pm

Bye-bye, yuckiness!

"Bye-bye yuckiness!"?   I don't think so.    That Utube video picked the perfect still frame for behind the play button: a closeup shot of that hag licking her teeth!

"Bye-bye yuckiness!"---Only if I shoot out my computer monitor!!LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 12:19am
Originally posted by kk218 kk218 wrote:

Speaking of John Lennon...

What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, and I'll try not to sing out of key!

Minor point:
Paul McCartney wrote that lyric.  Lennon was only responsible for one line in that song.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic