Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP - Dolores O'Riordan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP - Dolores O'Riordan
    Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:11pm

Confused...so young - RIP, Dolores - and Thank You.

I remember when this came out...no way I could do anything but like this song.
I also remember buying the album the moment I heard the song...and then never really playing it again as I've never been a fan of 'grunge music'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:33pm
^ I love that song!  RIP
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
I never was a fan and I couldn't stand the song.

Up until now, I always thought it was Natalie Merchant because they sound so much alike and I don't like her at all.

I used to occasionally sing my own (nasty) parody version of the song. I won't go into detail, but if you think of a word that rhymes with "linger", then put the two together, you can probably get the gist.

Anyway, RIP to her and condolences to her family.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:02pm
Linger and Dreams are my two favorite songs by The Cranberries. Gone far too soon. RIP Dolores!! Cry
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:33pm
Ah yes The Cranberries never felt it was exactly important when it first came out. Hell I can't remember what I was doing when it debuted. Ever since 9/11 I've put this music in a certain genre the "Pre-9/11 Genre" that basic pre 2001 era. This fits perfectly into that category of those care free days before the world changed forever. Ah the 90s never really thought that decade would capture a bygone era, but it does. The Cranberries were tolerable a bit better than today's music plus it initiates a wave of nostalgia. Back to the thread. Sad that the singer died, tragic even. She was definitely talented based on music she made. I'll miss her. Did her music evolve from cutesy girl stereotype from the 1990s? Or did it stay that way?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:35pm
Seems the song comes from a period of time where any new group seemed to draw attention via some type of top-10 hit that was generally out of character for them. One would never hear another cut quite like it from the same group. Such was the case here.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Seems the song comes from a period of time where any new group seemed to draw attention via some type of top-10 hit that was generally out of character for them. One would never hear another cut quite like it from the same group. Such was the case here.

Not to flog the Riordan - Merchant similarity thing to death, but Merchant and her band 10,000 Maniacs were pretty well established and popular at the time Linger came out, so I'm now wondering if the reason for The Cranberries (not to be confused with The Raspberries) doing the song, was a commercial attempt to capitalize on Merchant's popularity.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Not to flog the Riordan - Merchant similarity thing to death, but Merchant and her band 10,000 Maniacs were pretty well established and popular at the time Linger came out, so I'm now wondering if the reason for The Cranberries (not to be confused with The Raspberries) doing the song, was a commercial attempt to capitalize on Merchant's popularity.

Exactly.
So many new groups during this time were doing precisely the same thing.
The Verve sounded so much like the Stones with 'Bittersweet Symphony' and got their moment of fame that way.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:42pm
I loved her beautiful lilting Limerick accent, and I enjoyed The Cranberries, as well as her solo career. 
Heaven just claimed another chorus member.
R.I.P. Delores O'Riordan!
One man gathers what another man spills
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:48pm

Confused...so young - RIP, Dolores - and Thank You.

I remember when this came out...no way I could do anything but like this song.
I also remember buying the album the moment I heard the song...and then never really playing it again as I've never been a fan of 'grunge music'.

I never thought they were a grunge band. They were more of an Irish Alternative band. That grunge crap was mainly from Seattle, (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney.....etc..)
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:17pm
I was shocked and very sad to read that Dolores O'Riordan died.  She was way too young to go, but she predicted herself an early death by saying she would be happy if she reached 50.  I love The Cranberries and their music and made a point of knowing the amazing lead singer's name and was a fan of her as well.

She was beautiful, brilliant, talented and a sweetheart.  Everyone has described her as being a lovely lady.  She had her troubles and demons though.  I fear that she may have committed suicide; the autopsy report when it comes out will shed light on her untimely demise.  Maybe she just died from a heart attack, stroke, brain aneurysm, but with her battle with depression it makes me wonder.  I am so sad at this loss.

The Cranberries are an Irish rock group doing alternative and Celtic rock genre music, as well as pop.  I love Irish bands (have really been turned off by the self-important Bono and U2 though).

RIP Dolores.  You left your mark on the world and are now with those angels you want to come back to Earth as.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 2:33am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

I was shocked and very sad to read that Dolores O'Riordan died.  She was way too young to go, but she predicted herself an early death by saying she would be happy if she reached 50.  I love The Cranberries and their music and made a point of knowing the amazing lead singer's name and was a fan of her as well.

She was beautiful, brilliant, talented and a sweetheart.  Everyone has described her as being a lovely lady.  She had her troubles and demons though.  I fear that she may have committed suicide; the autopsy report when it comes out will shed light on her untimely demise.  Maybe she just died from a heart attack, stroke, brain aneurysm, but with her battle with depression it makes me wonder.  I am so sad at this loss.

The Cranberries are an Irish rock group doing alternative and Celtic rock genre music, as well as pop.  I love Irish bands (have really been turned off by the self-important Bono and U2 though).

RIP Dolores.  You left your mark on the world and are now with those angels you want to come back to Earth as.

I am pleased that you truly appreciated Delores O'Riordan's music. She was diagnosed with being bipolar back in the 1990's, I also pray that she didn't top herself off.
I am also glad that you fancy the great Celtic music. Do you also enjoy the mystic music of Clannad, or De Dannan, Planxty, Back Of The Moon, Silly Wizard? There are many great Celtic bands which are virtually unknown here in the States.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:14pm
I have heard Clannad's music but am unfamiliar with the other groups you mention.  I love anything Celtic and Irish folk music, modern.  Thanks, Jimmy!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm
I almost cried when I overheard "Zombie" playing over the speakers of the stadium on the football game Sunday. She was talented, damn, what a shame! Another 90s icon gone.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:07am
Shame Dolores is dead at only 46 when Kirk Douglas is 101! She died way too young!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic