Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History 'How will you remember 2017?' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History 'How will you remember 2017?' (video)
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:43am
Ouch
The History Channel airs this commercial heavily...my stomach twists every time. I love the song, I wish they wouldn't misuse it.
The very first album I bought was for a song I'll never get tired of - Buffalo Springfield's 'For What It's Worth'. Back then, everyone bought the album. Back then, everyone knew it was about the war in Viet Nam, Civil Rights, mass murders (The Boston Strangler)...and so on. Everyone thought it was about the Kent State Shootings, three years later. It became one of the top songs of those times. I do not recall anyone in Buffalo Springfield ever publicly telling everyone they had the reasoning and interpretations wrong...why would they?Confused Our misunderstandings were dollars in their pockets. In the same manner we could all be called 'idiots', it was clear we had a new, malleable anthem - and that was a good thing.

Hand me down my walker - it's been 50 years since Stephen Stills penned this song about the Sunset Strip Curfew Riots of November, 1966 - nothing more, nothing less.

In cynical retrospect, *I* believe the History Channel would have been better off using the following as a theme for looking back on 2017....

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:57am
2017 can suck it.  Hoping for a better year in 2018.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:04am
I will remember 2017 as the worst and most difficult year of my life. It started out sad and just got worse.

In February I learned that one of my best friends of over 25 years had died of a heart attack. Barely over a month later, my mom went into the hospital then into a nursing home from which she never left.

The next six months consisted of driving an hour over to the next county every week to visit her while experiencing the long drawn out agony of watching her slowly fade away.

Since she passed away in September, I've been dealing with taking care of her final affairs, paying off the final medical bills, etc.

I sure do hope it's not possible for 2018 to be worse.

Good riddance 2017!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Ouch

The very first album I bought was for a song I'll never get tired of - Buffalo Springfield's 'For What It's Worth'. Back then, everyone bought the album. Back then, everyone knew it was about the war in Viet Nam, Civil Rights, mass murders (The Boston Strangler)...and so on. Everyone thought it was about the Kent State Shootings, three years later. It became one of the top songs of those times. I do not recall anyone in Buffalo Springfield ever publicly telling everyone they had the reasoning and interpretations wrong...why would they?Confused Our misunderstandings were dollars in their pockets. In the same manner we could all be called 'idiots', it was clear we had a new, malleable anthem - and that was a good thing.

Hand me down my walker - it's been 50 years since Stephen Stills penned this song about the Sunset Strip Curfew Riots of November, 1966 - nothing more, nothing less.

Vietnam or curfew, the Baby Boomers were starting to become an economic force, and with that power, they were beginning to "rise up".  Hell, I remember in 1969, the junior high near me (I was still in Catholic school at the time) staged an anti-dress code protest/walk-out...and won!  These were adolescents!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The next six months consisted of driving an hour over to the next county every week to visit her while experiencing the long drawn out agony of watching her slowly fade away.

Since she passed away in September, I've been dealing with taking care of her final affairs, paying off the final medical bills, etc.

I sure do hope it's not possible for 2018 to be worse.

Good riddance 2017!!!!

Are you all done with that stuff?  It takes awhile.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:15am
Not the greatest year for us either. We lost our beloved German Shepherd dog Leah. She was Mama's girl all the way.

But when she wanted or needed something, she would come to me.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:52pm
One word...sh*t!

2017 was worse than 2016! Though I lost my mom last year...2016 was a touch better with the Cavaliers winning it all, the Indians getting awfully close (2018 better be their year), and the RNC in town...but 2017, I had problems with my wife (which is my job...I feel like I'm married to my job), my cat-lady neighbor kept bitching about me and my dad wants me to move-back home, and I've went through a whole year with nothing eventful!

2018 doesn't seem promising either!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 3:40am
Piss on 2017!
Even though my beloved granddaughter was born in May (which was the highlight of my year), I have been the recipient of two very bad falls. One were I broke a couple of ribs, the second fall was when I cracked my cheek bone, as well as suffering my 26th concussion. I also found out through a series of CT-scans, and a couple of sessions with my personal neurologist that I have early dementia. Not fun.
My wife also had a heart attack during the year, but she is doing much better now.
I am looking forward to ending this year with a positive outlook for my future.
Bring on 2018!
One man gathers what another man spills
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:48am
Man, I sincerely hope that 2018 is much better for you than 2017.
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:37am
This is my favorite History Channel song:

boom di-yada!
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:02am
And came across this excellent version (as a FPS gamer I couldnt resist)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Kelly H Kelly H wrote:

This is my favorite History Channel song:

boom di-yada!

There should've been a line in there that said "I love the C.G.I.!!!"

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:23pm
2017 will go as the year I became an ace TWICE! LOL

The first event took place in August when I flew to Tennessee to see the solar eclipse. This was the fifth time I traveled to the centerline of an eclipse (The others took place in 1991,1994, 1998 and 2012. This one made me an eclipse chase ACE! Big smile

A month later I became another kind of ace when Hurricane Irma came through Florida. This was the fifth hurricane I went through (The other storms were Charlie, Francis and Jean in 1994 and Matthew in 2016), making me a Hurricane ACE. Shocked 2017 wasn't a good year, but it wasn't a bad year either.
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Ouch

Vietnam or curfew, the Baby Boomers were starting to become an economic force, and with that power, they were beginning to "rise up".  Hell, I remember in 1969, the junior high near me (I was still in Catholic school at the time) staged an anti-dress code protest/walk-out...and won!  These were adolescents!

Indeed. The Baby Boomers rose to power in numbers at a crucial time in the USofA and took full advantage of it...then (in my opinion) flailed, flipped, and flopped miserably once the establishment basically handed over the keys to the kingdom. I'm pretty sure someone got stoned and forgot we needed to remain responsible and accountable, as a society - we basically FUBB (f'd up beyond belief)...and here we are with a circus clown representing the USofA as Prez.
Twenty Eight years ago the below (noise) came out. Here as 2018 is about to open, it fits the Prez. It should be his theme song. What's that say about us 'Boomers' and the generation that followed? We're not allowed to make mistakes like this and get away with them. Now? We seem to be a result of a society smothered in pus-filled zits which burst all at once and then got re-infected.
With everything going as crazy as it was back then, we got a lot of leeway and accomplished changes in clothing and hair styles while we were digging civil rights activists out of mud banks and plopping MLK on a slab while our parents were in Viet Nam and, well, many of us were in Europe and trying to get to the USofAmerico. We had a criminal for a Prez and basically no single clean and quiet corner. I think the establishment just got overwhelmed and gave up and then we fu'ked up.

I'm not going to push my feelings, no. Personally, I do not have high hopes for 2018...

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:25pm
Ground zero for all that was San Francisco/Bay Area in the 70s.  I'm not even talking about the hippies and pot.  The Black Panthers, the SLA, the Zebra Killings, Jim Jones, the Moscone/Milk assassinations, the White Riots, etc.---SF politics in the 70s were insane.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:29pm

Let's not forget certain tiny events in Detroit and Chicago, Memphis and Birmingham...and, yes SF politics with the likes of Harvey Milk. Those days seemed violent, yet educated and lessons were learned, times changed. These days are violent and undereducated and we're experiencing a 'social recession', of sorts. There are no lessons to learn other than to take computers and video games away from the children, make guns impossible to acquire, bring some faith back into the family, and get the message out that this world is not about the individual and their personal accomplishments and acquisitions, it's all about the positive in what we leave and how we leave this earth for those to come...

The Prez? It epitomizes everything wrong with these days and times.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:57pm
Not sure what lessons were learned in SF.  To this day, the Zebra Killings get no acknowledgement (ever see a documentary on this one?) in the world of serial killings (innocent people slaughtered in the streets, possibly 100 of them), and all acknowledgement of Harvey Milk's close friendship with and support for Jim Jones is ignored (not even mentioned in the movie "Milk").  When Jones did what he did with the Kool-Aid, he went from being the toast of leftist SF politicos to being "a right-wing Christian zealot".

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 8:15pm
I could see a revival of the Zebra killings - those were so totally ignorant. When it does happen, I'd say get ready for a larger, much more radical version of Ferguson, flip-flopped. It will be very bad.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:31pm

I could see a revival of the Zebra killings - those were so totally ignorant. When it does happen, I'd say get ready for a larger, much more radical version of Ferguson, flip-flopped. It will be very bad.

Flip-flopped?  Y'mean white people slaughtering blacks in the streets??  That'd be very un-PC.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:36pm

Flip-flopped?  Y'mean white people slaughtering blacks in the streets??  That'd be very un-PC.

Well, don't forget Charlottesville, earlier this year. The KKK has their boy in office and now all we need is one good bleed and I just bet we will see some of the real loonies from Idaho or Utah showing up...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:48pm

It's just your Trump-anoia, Pa.  Ain't gonna happen.  Even in the case of Charlottesville, it was white-on-white.

There are times I like Trump, times I don't.  It depends on the Tweet.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:18pm

^^^My trigger finger is itching about now....by that, I mean I'm about ready to dive deep into THIS discussion, but this would be the wrong thread, wrong forum, wrong board.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:25pm

^^^My trigger finger is itching about now....by that, I mean I'm about ready to dive deep into THIS discussion, but this would be the wrong thread, wrong forum, wrong board.

Start a continuation thread in the political forum.

Simple solution.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:36pm

I thought he meant whites will be rioting in the streets, looting and burning stores and businesses and engaging in some random violence against blacks in response, ala Ferguson.

Something I can't see happening either.

Whites don't riot. They're too comfortable and have too much to lose.

Or be sued for.

Besides, if something bad happens to someone else, even if it's a fellow white person, we really just don't care that much.

As long as it's not a friend or family member and doesn't negatively affect us or cost us money.

Maybe dash off an indignant tweet or an angry post on our favorite message board or other social media outlet.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I thought he meant whites will be rioting in the streets, looting and burning stores and businesses and engaging in some random violence against blacks in response, ala Ferguson.

Something I can't see happening either.

Whites don't riot. They're too comfortable and have too much to lose.

Or be sued for.

Besides, if something bad happens to someone else, even if it's a fellow white person, we really just don't care that much.

As long as it's not a friend or family member and doesn't negatively affect us or cost us money.

Maybe dash off an indignant tweet or an angry post on our favorite message board or other social media outlet.

You folks must be moderately-furry, or something! Turn around and gang up on me while I am taking an 87-year old mother out grocery shopping and everyone is telling me how cute she is.
People are idiots - they don't know her.
And you jump an ol'wolf with an 'indignant tweet' when I'm all concerned & sh*t about possible skinheads or neo-Nazis spreading 'white fright at first break of light'...or whenever Trump cuts 'em loose. 
I'd rather had a stinkin' 'indigent tweet', doncha know...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic