Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I so hate the Liberty Mutual lug wrench commercial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I so hate the Liberty Mutual lug wrench commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:26am
Originally posted by Dejoh Dejoh wrote:

It all started when most High Schools dropped auto shop class.  One of the biggest mistakes of these schools made was graduating kids without any ideas of how every day items work.
But they know how to put a condom on a banana and wave a gay pride flag on Gay Appreciation Day*.  Oh, and they also know all the Islamic holidays.  Confused

* I have nothing against gays per se but taking a day off from regular school curriculum to talk about what kids already know and worry about transgender bathrooms is wasting valuable time for teaching and learning reading, writing and arithmetic and other essentials.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:11am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

But they know how to put a condom on a banana...

....taking a day off from regular school curriculum to talk about what kids already know and worry about transgender bathrooms is wasting valuable time for teaching and learning reading, writing and arithmetic and other essentials.

Well yeah, it would be wasting time if the sieves they call their brains were actually retaining any of that academic knowledge the schools try to teach them to begin with.

As it is, we might as well at least try to make extra sure they know how to prevent pregnancy so that maybe they'll reproduce as few little future copies of themselves as possible.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:07am
Again, our fault. We're enabling them to escape reality much earlier and much easier, these days - what the heck are WE doing about it?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Some of us have been posting here for over ten years.

Yeah, from back when you could only "save" $619 dollars by switching to GEICO.
(0)(0) View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (0)(0) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:01am
The worst part is they are taking up space in the gene pool.
rscharf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscharf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 1:46pm
I'm not as bothered by the stupidity of the commercial, as I am that the guy with his mom is a different guy than the one who gets asked if it's a lug wrench! They're two different actors! They look nothing like each other!

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by rscharf rscharf wrote:

I'm not as bothered by the stupidity of the commercial, as I am that the guy with his mom is a different guy than the one who gets asked if it's a lug wrench! They're two different actors! They look nothing like each other!

Uh DUH! THEY'RE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE! Why the f**k would they look the same!?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by rscharf rscharf wrote:

They're not supposed to look like each other. One is a mom who has Liberty Mutual, who came and helped her son when he broke down on a dark road or whatever, and the other mom doesn't have Liberty, so her son has to deal with the hardship of identifying a lug wrench.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 3:52pm

All should take notice that the kid who is confused about what a lug wrench is...he is the adopted red-headed step-brother of the young computer geek and they're stranded under the George Washington bridge in NYC, so they're both soon to become fish fodder

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 2:30am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

... the other mom doesn't have Liberty, so her son has to deal with the hardship of identifying a lug wrench.

Her son is a lug wrench.
Can't be that difficult.  Tongue
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

... the other mom doesn't have Liberty, so her son has to deal with the hardship of identifying a lug wrench.

Her son is a lug wrench.
Can't be that difficult.  Tongue
I won't criticize this commercial too much.
Many kids weren't car-savvy when young. Gotta steal a few to know how to learn the tools of the trade, literally and economically. Yea, I got a lot o'tools, but the Missus was the meanest cop around...so, the only car I could steal was always one of ours. Truth be told, the real question should be who taught YOU and how did you learn what a lug wrench was? My dad showed me some things, but my late uncle raced Class-B Pro for many years and I used to help him build MGs and Triumphs overnight before a race for a case of beer with a few other flunkies, which got me out of watching the brats. I learned just enough to be dangerous - I'll never claim to be any more than a bicycle mechanic, but the below looks almost EXACTLY like the last Midget we built and he raced. 
Did he ever win? No
That's what happens when he's a great comedian, straight as an arrow Irish Catholic, hires a bunch of drunks to help him ready a car for a race the next afternoon and never learned to QUIT USING THOSE DUMBASS KNOCK-OFF TIRES! (he lost one in a race and trashed his car - I lost one at a Mexican funeral at a graveyard in front of about 100 people who wouldn't stop laughing at me).
Image result for mg midget racing class

WinkOK you bunch of geenusus - how many of you have had to grab that pickle wrench?

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 5:39am
Did it just the other day to fix a slow leaking tire that had a screw stuck in it.  No big deal when you're in your own driveway... Wink
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 2:34pm
To be fair, I'm not a car guy either. I can identify many tools because one of my hobbies is weaponry, including improvised/makeshift/spur of the moment weapons. And tools are often grabbed as weapons for both assault and defense.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 5:53pm

To be fair, I'm not a car guy either. I can identify many tools because one of my hobbies is weaponry, including improvised/makeshift/spur of the moment weapons. And tools are often grabbed as weapons for both assault and defense.
You would LOVE a pickle wrench - it's over a foot long and has sloping forks (to separate ball joints) and has weight.
Image result for pickle wrench
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

[QUOTE=DKS]... the other mom doesn't have Liberty, so her son has to deal with the hardship of identifying a lug wrench.

Her son is a lug wrench.
 I learned just enough to be dangerous - I'll never claim to be any more than a bicycle mechanic, but the below looks almost EXACTLY like the last Midget we built and he raced. 
Did he ever win? No

Image result for mg midget racing class

WinkOK you bunch of geenusus - how many of you have had to grab that pickle wrench?

I'm surprised they are using spoked rims for racing. It would be great for a pit stop, a one lug nut knock off hub. My dad raced a TR3 in the SCCA. You don't change tires unless you have a problem.

Cool pic, PaW. Notice the tape on the headlight. That's supposed to keep glass off of the race track when rubbin is racin.
Dejoh View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dejoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:38pm
As I explained WAYYYYYY back at the beginning of this thread.  I had a few very patient shop class teachers in High School, that taught me the basics of car repair in the early 70's.  Second, I worked under the hood on my own vehicles just to keep them running.  Besides, money was extremely tight and do it yourself was the key word.  Now a days, changing batteries is the most I mess with.
There's a sucker born every minute.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Dejoh Dejoh wrote:

As I explained WAYYYYYY back at the beginning of this thread.  I had a few very patient shop class teachers in High School, that taught me the basics of car repair in the early 70's.  Second, I worked under the hood on my own vehicles just to keep them running.  Besides, money was extremely tight and do it yourself was the key word.  Now a days, changing batteries is the most I mess with.
I'm not even allowed to do that after I got caught trying some jumper cables to jump-start my AAA batteries so my remote would work...Cry
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by bjoh249 bjoh249 wrote:

It doesn’t take much genius to figure out what lug wrench is.

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking even if you did not know it would be in the manual. Or am I the only person that keeps the owner's manual in my car? (Where else SHOULD it be? It's not much use OUTSIDE of the vehicle)
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking even if you did not know it would be in the manual. Or am I the only person that keeps the owner's manual in my car? (Where else SHOULD it be? It's not much use OUTSIDE of the vehicle)
Funny, I was pretty sure I had no jack in my car when I first saw this thread. Went to the manual in the glove box and found there was a panel on the side of my trunk, and there it was.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:30pm
Weren't they supposed to junk these commercials the January of this year? Why am I seeing them still!?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Weren't they supposed to junk these commercials the January of this year? Why am I seeing them still!?
Hated commercials always rise from the dead. 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

I came to the conclusion that the only manual read less than a vehicle owner's manual is the state DMV driver's manual.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:42pm
I look in the manuals from time to time. One vehicle takes 5.5 qts of oil and the other takes 6. Confused

I used to remember the filter numbers for 30 different pieces of equipment, I can't keep two of them straight here. The Edge takes a 3600, Fram has 4 or 5 prefixes.  HM is for high mileage engines. She just turned 100,000.  I've looked up the number for brake and tail lights for my truck also.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:19pm
I still see this commercial several times a day, and I'm so sick and tired of them. The same with 'three quarters of a car' and 'where's your brother?!' That 3/4ths commercial has aired for at least 3-4 years now. Haven't seen the Brad commercial for a while but I know they will start shoving it down our throats soon, like they always do. Find a new ad campaign Liberty Mutual! AngryAngry
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Dollarrandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dollarrandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:00am
The kid standing next to mom in front of the statue of liberty supposedly needs the lug wrench sometime in the past. They then cut away to the incident of him needing the lug wrench. I am almost positive it's a different kid that supposedly needed the lug wrench. There's a lot stupid about the commercial but trying to use two dark complected, dark haired kids that otherwise look nothing alike as the same kid is what really chaps my ass. Am I right or are they the same kid? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic