Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iPad - What's a computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:59pm
Naming your kid some obscure and pretentious name after a character in a book from almost 60 years ago.  How...  Well I suppose that I already used the word "pretentious" once and it would just be in bad form to use it again.

Better than naming your kid Katniss, Hermione, or Tris, I suppose.
Sponsored Links

langjie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote langjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:31pm
i literally want to punch this "scout" in the face. 
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm
I hate this one too. A child who doesn't know what a computer is, has lived a sheltered life. Or has extreme selective memory. Plus that annoying music 'where is it you wanna go?' Will never buy Apple products!
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:34am
Don't worry, the poor little ignoramus is headed for a life-time career of working a computerized cash register and will eventually figure that out...  LOL
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 3:08pm
Now that I know the kid's a girl, the ad is incredibly sexist. They're saying girls are scared of computers, but if they don't know they are using one, they'll be fine.

It's like the Barbie "math is hard" thing. If the girl doesn't know it's math, she'll understand it and use it. 
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 10:27pm
Scout seems like a pretty savvy kid. She goes out on her own, all around town. She goes into taco shops by herself. She's hanging out, taking pics of bugs and talking to her friends online. All this without ending up in a body bag or chained up in someone's basement ala criminal minds. I think that the what's a computer thing is just Apple's way of saying that you can do anything that you would normally do on a computer with an iPad. I mean it is ridiculously untrue, but when has a little thing like the truth gotten in the way of an advertiser? But that said, the what's a computer line has to be one of the stupidest line in advertising.
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm
Looks like we're not the only people who hate this ad.  This showed up on my FB feed this morning.

http://www.guacamoley.com/the-scoop/2018/01/25/rFhmG/that-apple-whats-a-computer-ad-isnt-sitting-well-with-twitterand-theyre-sounding-off?utm_content=inf_10_3742_2&tse_id=INF_04e04e0002c211e881c71b876dfcb7a1

Of course a lot of the twitter posts (I just cannot force myself to use the word tw**t) seem to be from the always offended at everything group.  Still kind of amusing, though.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

Looks like we're not the only people who hate this ad.  This showed up on my FB feed this morning.

http://www.guacamoley.com/the-scoop/2018/01/25/rFhmG/that-apple-whats-a-computer-ad-isnt-sitting-well-with-twitterand-theyre-sounding-off?utm_content=inf_10_3742_2&tse_id=INF_04e04e0002c211e881c71b876dfcb7a1

Of course a lot of the twitter posts (I just cannot force myself to use the word tw**t) seem to be from the always offended at everything group.  Still kind of amusing, though.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:43pm
I agree with the Apple "What's A Computer?" ad haters.
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:44pm
Yea.  This commercial would just be a generic kind of annoying were it not for that one line.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:31am
I have computers that are older than the adtard Millenials who wrote that Apple commercial...  LOL
Number6 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:27am
Yes, I hate this commercial, too.  The "What's a computer?" line is the arrogance of trying to say that the I-Pad is MORE than "just" a computer.  It's a f**king computer, for Christ's sake!
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:29pm
My cat’s name was Scout
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:31pm
My mom had that American Graffiti album lol - I loved all the songs on it :)
Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

To be fair, Scout Finch in the famous To Kill A Mockingbird novel by Harpwe Lee is a GIRL.

But in that book, "Scout" was just a nickname. Her real name was Jean Louise. So she wouldn't have been stuck with "Scout" as her legal name for the rest of her life....
I don't patronize bunny rabbits!
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Kelly H Kelly H wrote:

My cat’s name was Scout
And your cat probably knew what a computer was.  Smarter than the Scout on this commercial.
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:14pm
This is a computer!

I guess anything before 2000 isn't allowed in Scout's House...Scout and her family are sooooo ignorant!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:54am
No, THIS is a computer.
(And it's wearing tennis shoes!)  Tongue

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 2:35pm
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 2:57pm
^ LOLLOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 3:04pm
Where is good ol' Mahk when we need him????

This ad would be a great place for him to pay a visit to!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

It's nice to see Darth ring in. Thumbs Up

"Scout" is a good name for a dog, I hope the parents have a flea collar. They should check her for tics and a full blown case of Lyme's disease as well. Angry
Tully Blanchard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tully Blanchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:01pm
This commercial makes me long for the rapping teaching in the Microsoft Surface ads.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:33am

ConfusedI kinda sorta have a computer you have my permission to throw at her today, please, now.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:15am

Yes, you could indeed do a lot of damage if you threw Kurt Russell at her...  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic