Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

23andMe 'Our DNA Family' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23andMe 'Our DNA Family' (video)
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:35pm
"Cry...oh how I wished '23andMe' existed *before* I married my sister - and we dated for a long time before we found out!"

Can you even imagine the most remote chance of something like that occurring?! Worse than that would be finding out well over half the neighborhood is related to you.
Well, it happens, doncha know.
*I'm* pretty sure we even have members on this board who have wanted to come out and speak the truth about this...but I don't want to know who they are or why they didn't say anything when we were younger...ConfusedWink
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:06pm
I'm not sure what to make of the "52.4% Shared DNA" claim.

Heck, even chimpanzees share 98.8% of human DNA.
It raises the question what the other 47.6% is.  Shocked

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:10pm
Wait a minute - maybe chimps share 98.8% of YOUR DNA (how did you escape?)...but no - not mine.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:46am
ConfusedWOW!

My brother, the MensaLegalWolf is up at The Estate In The Swamp handling fambly issues and, as always, scaring the crap outta me. He's 6 years younger than me and we were just talking about '23andMe' when he says 'THAT isn't EVERY happening with him'. They keep your 'de-identified' DNA and YOU agree to it. He started citing means where a person could actually put their professional future at risk. He also says no matter what you read or what they say, DON'T YOU BELIEVE THEM!
All the hubbub, Bub, has me thinking even though they are publicly traded, the Mormons or Church of Scientology could swoop right in and gobble them up...and then it's all too late.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:27am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

"Cry...oh how I wished '23andMe' existed *before* I married my sister - and we dated for a long time before we found out!"

Can you even imagine the most remote chance of something like that occurring?! Worse than that would be finding out well over half the neighborhood is related to you.
*I'm* pretty sure we even have members on this board who have wanted to come out and speak the truth about this...but I don't want to know who they are or why they didn't say anything when we were younger...ConfusedWink

Betting there's a sperm bank located in that town.  There was a Doctor in the news a few years ago who replaced customers' orders with his own secretions.  I think they traced about 40 kids back to him...  Shocked
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Betting there's a sperm bank located in that town.  There was a Doctor in the news a few years ago who replaced customers' orders with his own secretions.  I think they traced about 40 kids back to him...  Shocked
ConfusedI remember that - it was such a big deal that 'Law & Order' immediately made an episode based on it.
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:36am
The real question is, who cares about your DNA? Like really, why is it such a big concern now? This and Ancestry is just a load of crock. Unless you're 100 years old, ask your parents about your DNA if you're so interested in it. They'll tell you.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:50am
Originally posted by !Tommy !Tommy wrote:

The real question is, who cares about your DNA? Like really, why is it such a big concern now? This and Ancestry is just a load of crock. Unless you're 100 years old, ask your parents about your DNA if you're so interested in it. They'll tell you.
Some people have been adopted and don't know their biological origins.  Some people are curious as to how much of what ancestry they have.  The more science delves into DNA, they can test to see what diseases you are likely or susceptible to get.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:15am
My sister had it done and sent me the results.

It was pretty interesting. Told me some things about my ancestry that I had no idea about.

I've got the pic on my other computer.

Maybe I'll post it here.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:33am
Quote Some people are curious as to how much of what ancestry they have.

"Wait, what's this mean that I'm 43% 'Spawn of Satan'..? Evil Smile"
"ohhhh, so that explains why you were born with a tail..."

LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:35pm

ConfusedThat is simply silly. Getting you DNA registered (yea, it happens) will allow the authorities to assign blame you can't escape that much quicker - you ARE the one they want for murder! To top it all off they found your father was gay and you are simply a bi-product of a game played with condoms. Yea, thanks to '23&Me', you're heading to prison and will be riding the bottom bunk. 
The fact they retain your results should be of concern, unless you already were fully aware of the lower life forms you are a result of and that we will never allow you on Elysium, you unclean scumWink
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 2:25pm
Another test that claims to be more accurate.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:07pm
My brother is one of those psych legal beagles, like Dr. Wong on Law & Order. A stinkin' walkin' nightmare.
He won't do it because it might prove he is related to me, even though he looks like a slightly-retarted version of me. He also doesn't believe anyone should retain your DNA unless you get arrested.
mrsteve809 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsteve809 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:27am
You have to be retarded to so desperately need to know your heritage that you would send your DNA to some faceless people in a lab somewhere who, most likely, are paid to share it with the NSA, CIA, FBI and other surveillance agencies
"If you're in advertising or marketing, kill yourself" - Bill Hicks, comedian.
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:41am
I don't understand this commercial.  It's just showing a bunch of shared DNA while the guy talks about how his celebrations have gotten bigger.  Does he just go online and invite random people to dinner?

Confused
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:53am
Originally posted by mrsteve809 mrsteve809 wrote:

You have to be retarded to so desperately need to know your heritage that you would send your DNA to some faceless people in a lab somewhere who, most likely, are paid to share it with the NSA, CIA, FBI and other surveillance agencies
Since the prices of these DNA tests have gone down, it might be fun to do it, but this is why I don't!  I'm almost 100% sure that the government pays these people to promote their testing products and have access to the info.  I don't want to wind up in some gov't DNA catalog for their own usages, God knows what that would be.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:54am
These companies make it sound like sending in your DNA is going to magically make your long-lost relatives appear!  What kind of malarkey is that?  Angry
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:49am

ConfusedThat is simply silly. Getting you DNA registered (yea, it happens) will allow the authorities to assign blame you can't escape that much quicker - you ARE the one they want for murder! To top it all off they found your father was gay and you are simply a bi-product of a game played with condoms. Yea, thanks to '23&Me', you're heading to prison and will be riding the bottom bunk. 
The fact they retain your results should be of concern, unless you already were fully aware of the lower life forms you are a result of and that we will never allow you on Elysium, you unclean scumWink

I sort of misspoke and realize my error with your post. When I said, who really cares about your DNA, what I meant is, why are people as individuals so concerned about their DNA? Take me for example, I know what I am, and honestly, why does it concern me so much? It doesn't. Even if it did, I'm not going to go dressing up like some freak and then calling myself the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (I think that one was ancestry). Or buying a kilt. To me, life goes on no matter what you are!

However.......you completely hit the nail on the head with YOUR post. Sounds like another way of opening yourself up deeper just to have it be turned against you. Shocked
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:38am
Now, as a seriously incurable history buff ~and~ of a royal lineage, *I* would like to let them analyze *my* because I am positive they will find a little 'Alf' as they trace me directly back to 'The Big J Dude' - you know who I am   talking about - the guy who has a birthday is coming up? Ya see, I just want a lil'proof so I can market my gold & burgundy cheap-azz 'J-Man & PW' basketball shoes/shirts & shorts before his birthday. Get yer bitcoins out my chilluns.
My late aunt had 1/2 of her house pretty much looking like a library. Our family history, my late, great Sis helped and was going to take it over. The Missus had her family also going back quite a way and it remains in our archives.
SOMEONE in the fam still can tell the history of every side, all it takes is a trip to ChiTown. We decided to keep a place anyone could go to learn about our superior fambly. Stinkin' Mormons copied us. doncha know...

NOT one of our relatives but SHOULD HAVE USED '23&Me' before going on TheIdiotBox

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:53am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

These companies make it sound like sending in your DNA is going to magically make your long-lost relatives appear!  What kind of malarkey is that?  Angry

No need to worry about them showing up.  Unless you have lots of money...  LOL

And of course, those people trying to avoid their relatives probably shouldn't send in any DNA...  LOL
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm

Now, as a seriously incurable history buff ~and~ of a royal lineage, *I* would like to let them analyze *my* because I am positive they will find a little 'Alf' as they trace me directly back to 'The Big J Dude' - you know who I am   talking about - the guy who has a birthday is coming up? Ya see, I just want a lil'proof so I can market my gold & burgundy cheap-azz 'J-Man & PW' basketball shoes/shirts & shorts before his birthday. Get yer bitcoins out my chilluns.
My late aunt had 1/2 of her house pretty much looking like a library. Our family history, my late, great Sis helped and was going to take it over. The Missus had her family also going back quite a way and it remains in our archives.
SOMEONE in the fam still can tell the history of every side, all it takes is a trip to ChiTown. We decided to keep a place anyone could go to learn about our superior fambly. Stinkin' Mormons copied us. doncha know...

NOT one of our relatives but SHOULD HAVE USED '23&Me' before going on TheIdiotBox

The video is hilarious.LOL Especially when the interviewer stands, calls him "Bro", and attempts a fist bump which he avoids like the plague. I had an almost identical experience in Bosnia. I was paired with a black soldier in a guard tower. His name tape bore my Mother's maiden name. I brought that to his attention and informed him my Mother's ancestors were from Virginia and North Carolina. He said "so are mine"! I said "Hey Cuz". He was confused for a second then laughed and said "Yeah. Hey Cuz". We completed a fist bump. The few times I encountered him after that our greeting was "Hey Cuz" with fist bump. The label 'White Supremacist' confuses me. As I recall Diana Ross and the SUPREMES were not white. Well. Maybe 14%. LOL.  
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:30pm
These commercials confuse me too. First there was the one at Thanksgiving time where the old guy is like, "Our Thanksgiving table used to be so small, now look how big it's gotten!" (Or something to that effect). Now, it's the same thing for Christmas.

Like, are people really calling up their 3rd and 4th cousins who are most likely complete strangers and inviting them over for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner? LOL. That would be really sad and desperate! Not to mention AWKWARD....Shocked
I don't patronize bunny rabbits!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

These commercials confuse me too. First there was the one at Thanksgiving time where the old guy is like, "Our Thanksgiving table used to be so small, now look how big it's gotten!" (Or something to that effect). Now, it's the same thing for Christmas.

Like, are people really calling up their 3rd and 4th cousins who are most likely complete strangers and inviting them over for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner? LOL. That would be really sad and desperate! Not to mention AWKWARD....Shocked
Big smileDid someone say 'Free Feast'?! They can call me - as long as there's a good cook in the family, I can be that 'Long Lost Uncle' from the Northern Wilderness...

WinkLong time no see, PDP! Welcome back.
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:34pm

Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

Big smileDid someone say 'Free Feast'?! They can call me - as long as there's a good cook in the family, I can be that 'Long Lost Uncle' from the Northern Wilderness...

WinkLong time no see, PDP! Welcome back.

Sure, no problem Wolf!
We'll leave a bowl (of leftovers) outside for you!   Big smile

You know, Wolf diet stuff - like bones left over from the standing rib roast.
And people say I don't have a heart!  Geez.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

Sure, no problem Wolf!

We'll leave a bowl (of leftovers) outside for you!   Big smile

You know, Wolf diet stuff - like bones left over from the standing rib roast.
And people say I don't have a heart!  Geez.

Don't forget the uneaten plate scrapings, too!!!

The gloppy, gooey, mixed together mish-mosh of peas, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, fat trimmings, discarded skin, half eaten dinner rolls, etc, etc, all mixed with traces of the saliva of the people who were eating it to begin with.

All the stuff that was destined for the garbage disposal.

Don't be selfish and deprive Pa of all that good slop!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic