Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ads whose theme song ripped off actual songs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:30pm
I'm at the point of beyond caring. If they're gonna use a song or a ripoff of a song for a commercial fine, whatever. I'm more concerned about the creation of a sh*tfest song such as "Good Goes Around" made for Cheerios coming on the scene!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 2:16am
I still don't get why Raisin Bran Crunch was using "Werewolves of London," or why Bud Light was using a piano version of "Sweet Child o' Mine." Confused
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:32am
While we are on the subject....

On second thought, this one is so bad it's earned it's own thread!  Dead

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

While we are on the subject....

On second thought, this one is so bad it's earned it's own thread!  Dead

In fact, it's earned two. LOL

ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 4:40am
New one for Xeljanz I JUST saw about 30 min ago. Same BS script, female narrator babbling about the "bloody stools" and other nonsense.

Removed that piano music and replaced it with an instrumental version of the 70s song "Dance With Me" by Orleans.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 5:58am
Quote What?!?  Shocked  The only member of Queen who has passed away is Freddie Mercury in 1991.  All other members are still alive.

oops, sorry EmbarrassedEmbarrassed , guess I watched the "This Is Spinal Tap" commentary too many times & the phrase stuck in my mind (they're all dead too, you know... WinkWink  )
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I remember the gray hair thing.

Then of course, there was the famous "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" ad campaign from the 70's.
"I'm going to wash that gray right out of my hair" is a direct rip off of "I'm going to wash that man right out of my hair" from the musical "South Pacific" so it is a perfect fit in this thread.
Not that I am a fan of old musicals.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by OperatorStandingBy OperatorStandingBy wrote:

That newer Bounce commercial which butchers the Outfield's "Your Love".   I want to put corks in my ears every time I see it!    Unhappy

That one is beyond offensive! Yeah, that was kind of a catchy one hit wonder from them in the 80s.  I swear I think these companies will take older songs especially from the 70s-80s and try to make it their own. So when these teens, 20something'ers that NEVER heard the original, they think the brand name came up with these songs.

Latest one from Toyota, they take a song from 1988, 89, Roxette "The Look" and use it for some Camry ad. (By the way, all these Camry drivers are reckless a-holes in these ads)

Comments on YouTube, you can tell some love the song and THANK Toyota for creating great music. Personally I think the song sucked in the 80s, it' sucks in 2017

tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

The Outfield..thats one of those 'anonymous' bands like Mister Mister or Survivor--no star power and i DEFY anyone to i.d. any member ..

I think the name of Mr. Mister's lead singer is Richard Page.

..and if he were in line for a bag of groceries or dialysis today..could you recognize a member of
A.38 Special
B.Glass Tiger
C. Outfield?

pretty unlikely

corporate 'rock muzak' blows..its been replaced by corporate BRO rock or C-Rap (commercial rap)
much of this is used to fuel car ads and/or breakfast cereals or CANDY--Chahncey the Crapper, anyone?
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Quote What?!?  Shocked  The only member of Queen who has passed away is Freddie Mercury in 1991.  All other members are still alive.

oops, sorry EmbarrassedEmbarrassed , guess I watched the "This Is Spinal Tap" commentary too many times & the phrase stuck in my mind (they're all dead too, you know... WinkWink  )

John Deacon (whom i would recognize as he cues up for his plate at the sr. center)wisely retired about 20 odd years ago..admittedly, that Lambert kid from American idol is PERFECT for neo-Queen but lacks Mercurys creativity.. and OVERBITE
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

Originally posted by OperatorStandingBy OperatorStandingBy wrote:

That newer Bounce commercial which butchers the Outfield's "Your Love".   I want to put corks in my ears every time I see it!    Unhappy

That one is beyond offensive! Yeah, that was kind of a catchy one hit wonder from them in the 80s.  I swear I think these companies will take older songs especially from the 70s-80s and try to make it their own. So when these teens, 20something'ers that NEVER heard the original, they think the brand name came up with these songs.

Latest one from Toyota, they take a song from 1988, 89, Roxette "The Look" and use it for some Camry ad. (By the way, all these Camry drivers are reckless a-holes in these ads)

Comments on YouTube, you can tell some love the song and THANK Toyota for creating great music. Personally I think the song sucked in the 80s, it' sucks in 2017
The majority of Camry drivers I see are probably Great Grandmothers.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

New one for Xeljanz I JUST saw about 30 min ago. Same BS script, female narrator babbling about the "bloody stools" and other nonsense.

Removed that piano music and replaced it with an instrumental version of the 70s song "Dance With Me" by Orleans.

gonna be my dj name...DJ Bloody Stoolz
word!! hey i could be BRITISHWink
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:27pm
oh and 'go your own way' Meatwood Flack rip-off for whatever digestive malady DOES feature a pretty stellar Lindsay Buckingham manque bleat at its finish
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

There are so, so many commercials that steal the original, usually classic, song or adapt it with piss poor so called music (talent).  The list is endless and mind boggling.

How would you place this song, if you were an adhole?

A condom commercial?
The morning after pill?
Domestic violence?
STDs R us?

Oh my God! Human by The Human League! That for a long time was my FAVORITE song in the whole world! Then an 80's music station kept constantly playing it and it stopped being my favorite song in the world! Damn you 80's music station! I still love Human song though. It's haunting, beautiful, and chilling song! Its ethereal!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 8:09pm

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

John Deacon (whom i would recognize as he cues up for his plate at the sr. center)wisely retired about 20 odd years ago..admittedly, that Lambert kid from American idol is PERFECT for neo-Queen but lacks Mercurys creativity.. and OVERBITE

There's no need for any neo-Queen.  Their time came and went in the 70s.  As far as I'm concerned, they were done by the mid-70s.

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 6:31am

..and if he were in line for a bag of groceries or dialysis today..could you recognize a member of
A.38 Special
B.Glass Tiger
C. Outfield?

pretty unlikely

corporate 'rock muzak' blows..its been replaced by corporate BRO rock or C-Rap (commercial rap)
much of this is used to fuel car ads and/or breakfast cereals or CANDY--Chahncey the Crapper, anyone?

"Chahncey the Crapper" LOL ... I wholeheartedly agree.

If ... if ... they still have mullets today, I think I could remember some of the faces of these bands, thanks to countless hours of me watching MTV in the mid-80's. I heard the lead singer of Glass Tiger had a stroke recently or something.

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:12pm
While we're on the subject of bad "music" in commercials....

In answer to the Spice Girls' question on their hit song "Wannabe",

"So tell me what you want, what you really really want."

I WANT YOU TO SHUT THE f**k UPAngry

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:19pm

Exactly the same thing I said out loud every time I ever heard that God-awful crap.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 3:57pm
The late 90s was the worst decade for popular music! There was some music that was decent but you had to look long and hard for it! I'd rather listen to a full on barrage of 80s music than hear a popular 90s hit!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Exactly the same thing I said out loud every time I ever heard that God-awful crap.

I am right there with you!
It's Day-2 and this "song" is still stuck in my head.

And now having thought it about it, I'm certain that it ranks in the Top-5 worst "songs" of all time!  Dead

"So tell me what you hate, what you really really hate."
God, who comes up with this CRAP?!
I just want to beat the sh*t out of something.
Or put that bimbo in a spice grinder.  ("How 'bout that you stupid stupid twit?")

I need therapy.  (Or a remote with nothing but "mute" switches.)  Tongue

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I'm at the point of beyond caring. If they're gonna use a song or a ripoff of a song for a commercial fine, whatever. I'm more concerned about the creation of a sh*tfest song such as "Good Goes Around" made for Cheerios coming on the scene!
Image result for tortie cat pukingMilennials gravitate to such sh*t as pussy cats eat their hurl! Yea, yea, year, Latrell you the bomb croaking out that Cheerios drivel. But back to the thread at hand. You want weapons of mass destruction? Broadway show tunes are a fertile ground/resource of such torture. and the adtards love it. There are so many of them besides the Wash that sh*t out of my hair: Some that come to mind:
1. Who can ask for anything more-Toyota (back in the day)
Has to be one of the Gayest cheesiest commercial and its from the 80's. Millennial folk you'll probably climax when you watch this one!

Though it's not a show tune. The Adtards strip mine this one from Harry Belafonte. including Ford for their latest SUV lemon-mobile. Way back P&G used the song not the original Belafonte version to hawk laundry soap or lard oil.
I approve this message.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm
^LOL  Holy Moly!

I did change the shower head in the master bathroom when we moved in here.  I don't need any of the fancy shower water antics.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:21pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:43pm
I remember a scene from WKRP in Cincy, Johnny says to Venus..."Wanna go look at some Carly Simon album covers?" LOL

atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 2:42pm
Add these to the list.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic