Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ancestry.com - African lady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancestry.com - African lady
    Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:34am
I apologize if this commercial has already been discussed, but I have been absent from this board for years.

All of these Ancestry.com commercials irritate me, but this one is by far the worst. The woman finds out she is 26% Nigerian, so goes out and buys a head wrap and almost cries when she looks in the mirror?! LMAO. I took one of those DNA tests from Ancestry and found out I was 87% British. Maybe I can be in the next commercial. So what should I go out and buy and get all emotional about. Beatles records? Or maybe adopt a general disregard for dental hygiene? LOL.

I don't patronize bunny rabbits!
Sponsored Links

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

I apologize if this commercial has already been discussed, but I have been absent from this board for years.

All of these Ancestry.com commercials irritate me, but this one is by far the worst. The woman finds out she is 26% Nigerian, so goes out and buys a head wrap and almost cries when she looks in the mirror?! LMAO. I took one of those DNA tests from Ancestry and found out I was 87% British. Maybe I can be in the next commercial. So what should I go out and buy and get all emotional about. Beatles records? Or maybe adopt a general disregard for dental hygiene? LOL.

Oi! I don't fancy your final comment about dental hygiene! I'm a 60+ Brit and I still have all of my ivories in check, and they're pretty straight as well! I've only had one root canal done, 25 years ago. I know we're known to have lousy teeth, but the hygiene used by myself,as well as the rest of my family (btw, Mum, who is 87 years of age, still has all of her teggies in tact), is pretty damn good. We all brush at least twice each day, and floss as well!
I had my DNA tested a few years back, and found that my bloodline runs almost completely British, as far back as the Saxon age. I know that we Brits are known for having poor teeth through history, but we're improving. 

One man gathers what another man spills
Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 3:04am
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone! It was just a joke based on stereotypes :)
I don't patronize bunny rabbits!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone! It was just a joke based on stereotypes :)

No worries, Puppydogpants! I've just been hearing those stereotypes my whole life, especially since I relocated to the States several years ago. It's a misconception that all British people have lousy teeth. 
The ad with the African lady is actually rather charming. She looks so sweet with her traditional head gear. I actually kinda like these ads. 
My DNA  was sort of boring, with all of the British background, however I do have some Polish ancestry, and a bit of German (bloody Jerry's as my Gran used to say).
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 3:40am
Maybe you guys are cousins of mine!

What annoys me is several of the ads are using a video mode often refered to as "music video", but I call it "jerk motion". It results in a gratuitous strobe effect that quickly pisses me off!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

What annoys me is several of the ads are using a video mode often refered to as "music video", but I call it "jerk motion". It results in a gratuitous strobe effect that quickly pisses me off!

Is that the one with the freckled black lady? That one annoys me to no end!
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:45am
What an ugly, scary promoter.Shocked
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:30am
The woman says to spit your sample..."Something southern women are taught NOT to do?"

Shocked The opposite of spit is.....Evil Smile

The most important hat I've ever owned.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Now would that be a cue for me to take offense, Jimmy?WinkSmile
The MUSIC in that '23andMe' one is what drives me nuts the most. 
Here it is===>Direct Link To This Post
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Now would that be a cue for me to take offense, Jimmy?WinkSmile
The MUSIC in that '23andMe' one is what drives me nuts the most. 
Here it is===>Direct Link To This Post
The music in that ad drives me crazy. The lady in the ad rocks.
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 2:37am
These ads always get on my nerves. I'm largely British in background, then probably German, and some Irish. Do I have the urge to sing God Save The Queen, invade Poland, or do a jig next to a pot of gold? No, because those are idiotic stereotypes and I'm not from any of those countries. I grew up on a farm in West Central Illinois, and that's my heritage.
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:48am
Its a scam. How do you know if you're whatever percent Nigerian from this? Is there a magic line like on a map that determines this? Even if the science was sound what the hell? If I found out I was 75% Nigerian I wouldn't all of a sudden want to dress up like I grew up there. 

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 4:28am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

Its a scam. How do you know if you're whatever percent Nigerian from this? Is there a magic line like on a map that determines this? Even if the science was sound what the hell? If I found out I was 75% Nigerian I wouldn't all of a sudden want to dress up like I grew up there. 
You are of course 100% correct. Nigerians are a nationality defined by lines someone drew on a map. Thinking their DNA is different from Kenyans is idiotic. I have decided to recognize only one race. Human.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 4:37am
^^^That is the way we raised our children. Wish it worked out that way.
Seems today's youth (last few generations) seem to need more to 'grab on to'.
Seems there are more people more ignorant with more insecurities.
Seems many cannot ask themselves how this would work if we didn't have eyes yet were equally advanced.
This is becoming a dangerous world.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:21am
There was an expose' about this DNA testing done by Ancestry.com and 23andMe and other by-mail outfits.  Identical sister triplets sent their DNA samples in and got three different results.  One was almost close to one of the others but a third sister had a lot more of one or two nationalities than the others did percentage wise.

If you Google dna test identical triplets you can read about the Dahm triplets.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I have decided to recognize only one race. Human.

Of course, that makes you racist.  WinkLOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:04pm
ApproveI kinda wanna know how much African I may have in me 'cause I KNOW there's some of me in a lot o'Africans...
Tully Blanchard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tully Blanchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

If you Google dna test identical triplets you can read about the Dahm triplets.

Or just google Dahm Triplets and you can see their Playboy spreads!  Wink
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:56pm
Dahm triplets.jpg
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 4:21pm
Wow^^^.

Imagine that.

Three identical triplet brothers who all became transgendered together.

What are the odds????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 4:25pm
^^^Confused...well, other than being blonde, being from Minnesota further explains why one can see the back of their skulls by just looking in their eyes, doncha know...they're getting awfully close to being from Fargo (ND).
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:28pm
The latest one is some woman going on about her foremothers. When they show her DNA breakdown, she’s 15% African but 21% Irish and 21% British. Don’t know why it bugs me, but it does.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:37am
Another Courtney? Confused

Can you say 'Scandal?'

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Another Courtney? Confused

Good god enough with the freaking vocal fry! Stop it already!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by msmith msmith wrote:

The latest one is some woman going on about her foremothers. When they show her DNA breakdown, she’s 15% African but 21% Irish and 21% British. Don’t know why it bugs me, but it does.
WinkNeeehhhh...that's simply proof of ancestral raping of the slaves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic