Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh shait! Hurricane Irma is no joke!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:22pm
Hello everyone.

I am still amongst the living and doing ok. Power was restored Tuesday morning but still no internet.

I come to this hospital every morning to take care of things I need to do online.

Gonna hang out awhile longer today and maybe do some forum chatting, but first I have to contact AT&T Customer (ahem) "Service" (yeah, right) and hopefully get a better idea of when I might be back online.

The guy I text chatted with yesterday told me it would be up by today.

Guess they'll tell you anything.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:36pm
WinkGood to see you back amongst the living & typing, ol'Mule.

DRS did ask if your kitties were o.k. and if you used them as 'windsocks' during the hurricane...well maybe she didn't ask about the wind socks, but it's the my thought that counts...

"Meooowwww"

O.K. PuttyTat - let's listen to Cap'nJoe! You got work to do if you're going to 'hang around'!

DisapproveI don't need no stinkin' lecture...of course the cats weren't being used as windsocks. They were probably hunkered down in comfortable cozy corners...or they all got blown out to the mid-Atlantic.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am still amongst the living and doing ok. Power was restored Tuesday morning but still no internet.

I come to this hospital every morning to take care of things I need to do online.

Gonna hang out awhile longer today and maybe do some forum chatting, but first I have to contact AT&T Customer (ahem) "Service" (yeah, right) and hopefully get a better idea of when I might be back online.

Well, that didn't seem like very long? Wink
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:21pm
Jimbo didn't specifically say this forum chatting.  LOL
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 6:35am
I'm back after 4 days without power (I hate 'camping'...)
Lost 1 shingle (easily replaced) and 2 small banana trees.  Not much yard cleanup compared to the neighbors.  Tossed a lot of stuff from the fridge.  Most of the stuff in the freezers seems like it made it (the ice cream didn't, but it was still good melted, even used it for cereal after the milk went bad.)
The only sad news is that a neighbor's cat took shelter 30 feet up inside a hollow tree & still hasn't come down (might be because of too much noise), but I threw up a screen-covered 'ladder' that reaches to an opening we could see it in, so it's all up to the cat now...
Nice to see everybody else made it, too... ;-)
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:14am
Mr. Tim, we are STILL out of power and the Hurricane has been over fir 5 days! A woman told me that her house in a nearby subcity(Miami Gardens) just got power yesterday. Lucky! Hey we need power in our subcity(North Miami) too! I had to laugh as I remember my two sisters running after an FPL truck as if it were an ice cream truck after a blackout one year screaming,"We need light and power!" LOL.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Hello everyone.

Well, that didn't seem like very long? Wink

Sorry,dude.

Got busy dealing with those morons at at&t then, I had to make a call re: my mom's affairs. Had to wait for this young black gal to finish her business on the public guest phone, then her and I got to talking for about 30 minutes.

Poor gal was going through problems with her dad there in the hospital and she lost a chance at a call center job, behind on her rent etc, etc. She was looking for some kind of hardship assistance so I suggested she contact her local govt representatives, starting with her city council person, then going up through county commissioner, state legislature representative and finally her congressman.

I figure one of those people can set her in the right direction.

For a vote....

Anyway, by the time I was done, I was starving for some lunch so I headed to Subway.

I still don't have internet service though. I'm sitting here in my car parked on the relatively cool, shady side of my local Wawa, using their WiFi. Just had a ham, egg & cheese croissant, some Combos cheese pretzels (they didn't have any hash browns, dammit) and a small coffee.

Going to head back to the hospital now and call at&t tech (no) support to report what looks like the cause of my outage. Their junction box that's mounted to the utility pole in front of my house, was beaten up pretty badly by the storm. The lid is partially open which exposed the innards to the rain and there are some wires hanging out.

Maybe I can light a fire under someone's ass and get it repaired!!!

Wish me luck!!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 2:40pm
LUCK!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 6:14pm

...Had to wait for this young black gal to finish her business on the public guest phone, then her and I got to talking for about 30 minutes.

Poor gal was going through problems with her dad there in the hospital and she lost a chance at a call center job, behind on her rent etc, etc. She was looking for some kind of hardship assistance so I suggested she contact her local govt representatives, starting with her city council person, then going up through county commissioner, state legislature representative and finally her congressman.

I figure one of those people can set her in the right direction.

For a vote....  
Confused
You mean you didn't identify yourself as a 'representative of the Oscar Meyer Foundation for Women' and offer her 'Day Pay' work, similar to that of Labor Ready? Or was she not cute?
(I'm sorry - it's hot and humid in The Swamp' and even with NO DISASTER, my day has been rife with pleas from the needy and, at 1:12 PM, my mind is already bending)

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 6:46pm
Good luck Jimbo!  Thanks for keeping us informed.  You have had to deal with so much all at once.  Sending positive thoughts and strength through prayers your way.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Good luck Jimbo!  Thanks for keeping us informed.  You have had to deal with so much all at once.  Sending positive thoughts and strength through prayers your way.

SECONDED!

Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:27am
Well, here I am, back at Wawa again. It's a relatively comfortable evening thanks in part to hurricane Jose's rotation pulling the dry air down from the mid Atlantic states, making it feel almost fall-like.

Got myself a cup of decaf, sitting outside enjoying the coffee and the evening breeze, doing a little catch up.

The view from where I'm sitting. If you look closely, you can see a utility truck in the background, fixing a power line or something.

Still no wifi, but I don't feel so bad after seeing a report on the evening news about everyone else who's experiencing the same thing. Most of the major providers are scrambling to get their customers back online.

A lot of businesses are suffering too.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 1:40pm
Another day another Wawa breakfast and public wifi.

Sitting in my car sweating in the humidity.

When will things get back to nermal???

Excuse me, I meant nerbal.

Think I'll head over to the hospital where I can sit in the a/c and use their wifi to check my email etc.

Don't like doing that on public wifi, but if given the choice between a convenience store and a hospital lobby, I'll take the hospital.

Might be back in awhile, might not.

Have a nice day everyone.

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:38pm
This will be my last post until October 3. My hard drive is failing, and will be October 3 (when my disability comes in) before I can afford a new computer. In the meantime may God Bless all of you. For those of you who never experienced a hurricane before welcome to the Hurricane Club, as for me this was the fifth hurricane I've been through (The previous storms were Charley, Frances and Jean in 2004, and Matthew last year, which means I'm a

Shocked HURRICANE ACE!Shocked

Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:44pm
Hey hey hey!!!!

Just checked my modem/router and to my shock and gleeful surprise...

IT'S WORKING AGAIN!!!!

All the little LED lights on the front that are supposed to be lit solid green and not flashing red, are all lit solid green and not flashing red!!!

I'm back online!!!

No more public wifi!!!

No more sitting outside Wawa!!!

No more trips to the hospital to sit in the lobby!!!

Yipee!!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 7:18pm
Go figure...Jimbo is back online at home and he disappears.  Woe is me!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 8:56pm
Sorry, dude.

Had some shopping and other bid'niss to tend to.

Home now, though.

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:00am
JUST got our electricity back. After a WEEK. FPL you LATE FIENDS!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:37am
Big smile I am SO happy to see our Floriland members lives coming slowly back to some level of normalcy. HOWEVER, after such trying times, it's really time for some basic life reminders, such as:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic