Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sweet Caroline car ad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweet Caroline car ad
    Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:46pm

See this ad numerous times a day on TV and now cant get the stupid song out of my head. And it keeps reminding me of that 90’s sitcom Caroline In The City where she endorses a cereal company making a cereal in the shape of the female anatomy. That woman in the ad even looks similar to her 20 years later.

Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:28pm
I could live without hearing that song for a long, long time. Seriously it's overplayed!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:17pm
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hyundai 'Duet' (video)
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 4:25pm
It ran twice during a single commercial break on last night's football game. 
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 5:35pm
I blame YOU Hyundai! I blame you for putting this stupid song back in my head! f**k off!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:49pm
GOD I hate this one! Off-key singing and yelling at that! Fk off.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 12:30am
Since I'm a Yankees fan, I really hate that damn song!
One man gathers what another man spills
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:52am
Glad I am not the only one.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:00pm
Diamond wrote this song about Caroline Kennedy, who was 11 at the time.  Kinda pervy.  Maybe he told her Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon, plied her with some Cracklin' Rosie, gave her his Longfellow Serenade, and broke her Cherry, Cherry.  He was just tired of being a Solitary Man.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Diamond wrote this song about Caroline Kennedy, who was 11 at the time.  Kinda pervy.  Maybe he told her Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon, plied her with some Cracklin' Rosie, gave her his Longfellow Serenade, and broke her Cherry, Cherry.  He was just tired of being a Solitary Man.

Urban legend.

Quote Neil Diamond reveals story behind 'Sweet Caroline' (link)

It was a great story.

For years the lore has been that Neil Diamond's 1969 song "Sweet Caroline" was an ode to the then young daughter of late president John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline.

On Monday, the singer revealed the truth behind the hit.

"I was writing a song in Memphis, Tennessee, for a session. I needed a three-syllable name," Diamond said during an appearance on "Today." "The song was about my wife at the time — her name was Marsha — and I couldn't get a 'Marsha' rhyme."

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:36pm
^  Yeah, that's what he said in 2014.  But in 2007, he said...

...he was a “young, broke songwriter” in the ‘60s when he saw a cute photo of Caroline Kennedy in a magazine. “It was a picture of a little girl dressed to the nines in her riding gear, next to her pony,” he recalled. “It was such an innocent, wonderful picture, I immediately felt there was a song in there.”

So it seems someone lied.  It was either Neil Diamond or Neil Diamond.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:44pm
I dunno.

You read the lyrics and it sounds like he's writing about someone he's intimately familiar and has a history with.

Like a wife.

He probably told the Kennedy story because it sounded more interesting than because he needed a three syllable name.

The truth is, a lot of songs get written that way. Merely the practical need to fit a word into a space that either rhymes or has the correct number of syllables.

Takes some of the panache away.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:53pm
True.  Maybe You're So Vain is really about no one in particular.  That'd be funny.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

True.  Maybe You're So Vain is really about no one in particular.  That'd be funny.

I think that one is actually about who she's always said it was.

McCartney says the working title to Yesterday was "Scrambled Eggs".

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 12:03am
Who?  To this day, she says it's about three different guys, only one of whom she's named (Warren Beatty).  This, according to Wikipedia.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 12:20am
I had never heard that. I always assumed it was about Beatty.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was about a composite character consisting of more than one person.

Dylan did that in songs like Positively 4th Street.

I guess it's tough to write a good song about one person without having to take some liberties. Like I was saying earlier, often it just comes down to what you can make rhyme and how many syllables you need.

C'mon, man!
crash1984 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crash1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:27am
Peggy Sue originally came about because a veterinarian was looking for a pig that had ran away and was calling sooie. Buddy Holly happened to be sitting on the porch with a guitar. After hearing this and started singing Piggy Sooie the vet suggested that he try Peggy Sue instead.
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:07pm
I HATE this song with a passion..I always thought Neil was a faux hippie schlockmeister and to hear it embraced by a set of sports stupes and then THIS AD...that idiotic add-on from the 'fans' is just torture.
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:46pm
Plus this stupid 'song' gets in stuck in your head and never leaves. I HATE this sh*t!
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 5:51am
This reminds me of that stupid ad from a couple years ago about another asshat driving around and blaring Billy Idol's version of "Mony Mony."  BLAAAAAAH! Dead
ridley View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 3:31pm
whaaaaCry
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 6:36pm
Sweet car-o-mine!! Tongue
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 6:41pm
Better idea for this commercial...

...both the people stop by a red light singing "Sweet Caroline" and they drive simultaneously not even looking at the traffic light and...a semi crushes them both.

And...the guy in the semi is a Yankees Fan!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 1:46am
... with the semi hauling BBQ sauce.
slhanks4 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slhanks4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:40pm
They play this commercial waaay too frequently. I am sick of watching it. Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic