Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ABC: Life On Mars, something good at least.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABC: Life On Mars, something good at least.
    Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 3:55am
This isn't a rant it's a compliment.

This show looks pretty promising, so the pilot wasn't all that bad.

I got chills of the visual after Sam said "No Way" damn, rarely does a television show nowadays does that to me. Also you're also in constant questioning whether the guys in a coma or not ,or something else is going on, plus you kind of feel bad that he's stuck in someplace that is alien to him (he was very young in 1973 and recognizes some places from his childhood), and hard to get used to. Plus there are some scenes that are just plain odd and unusual. So far this series looks unique.

If you are still clueless what this was all about it's about a police detective in New York circa 2008 and  get's himself knocked into 1973 and if you're wondering about the big question that they'll show the WTC I'll give you a hint about that, It's highly historically accurate, and they got that out of the way right away in the first episode. If you want to know, go check it out for yourself.

Now, I've seen that there are some people who are ranting that this isn't as good as the original UK one, and they go all nuts over the fact it's a remake. Ok I'm going have to be honest I never saw the original UK one, so I have nothing to back on that one. To be fair, I don't think it's accurate to form an opinion on a show you haven't watched yet, so in that instance I'm going to have to say just see one episode for yourself, you don't like it fine I can understand.

I've read the writers have changed a lot of things compared to the UK version, and that it won't end like the UK version did. So it's not an exact copy.

A as a person who hates bad television shows,this show looks better compared to most junk on TV, it certainly is different, in in the very least it is actually entertaining and not boring.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 2:48pm
I love this show!:

Sam: "Where's my Jeep?"
Cop: "You drive a military vehicle?"
Sam: "Where's my cell?"
Cop: "What are you selling?"

"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
hsolo1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hsolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 7:39pm
I found the first episode intriguing and look forward to the next.  I was curious how they were going to address the world trade center being present in 1973 and felt they did a great job.  Also liked Sam's reaction when he sees both towers
DollMaker66 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DollMaker66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 8:28am
Originally posted by hsolo1 hsolo1 wrote:

I found the first episode intriguing and look forward to the next.  I was curious how they were going to address the world trade center being present in 1973 and felt they did a great job.  Also liked Sam's reaction when he sees both towers

I'm confused hsolo...what do you mean by "how they were going to address the world trade center being present in 1973 "...I just looked it up and they "were" both around in 1973.  So why would they have to explain them being present in 1973???  Confused

I think it's a pretty cool show sofar, though I didn't get to see some parts of the second episode (had to leave to pick hubby up from work).  Will have to maybe try to catch it on ABC.com.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 4:18pm
Second episode was pretty good.
NOW he is seeing a little probe/rover robot thing.
It randomly shows up and scans him.
He also was able to "see" the future in the captain's window and see his gf looking "at him" in a window as if to be in deep thought so they were watching one another so to speak
NotBuyingIt View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotBuyingIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 10:10pm

DollMaker, I think maybe HSolo meant that he/she knew that the WTC existed then, and knew that the audience was supposed to know that, BUT he/she wondered if the show would gloss over that knowledge or actually show the towers. Even now, showing the WTC standing like that can evoke some powerful emotions in people. I think Hsolo might have wondered if the show would be bold enough to show those towers. And they certainly were. Thats how Sam Tyler and the audience realized that he was really in 1973. I think that's about the best proof they could have given.

Anyway, I like this series as well. I heard from some British people that I occasionally chat with online that it was an excellent show, so I checked out the British version. I only saw one episode of it. It was okay, but didn't really grab me. When I heard about a U.S. version I decided to give it a try. Watching it made me remember the British version I watched about a year ago. I saw several big similarities between the plots of the two episodes I watched. It excited me enough to try and go back online to find the British version so I could watch it again (and see if I was remembering it correctly). I didn't find the episode I wanted but I did learn that the British Life on Mars has a spin off.

It's called Ashes to Ashes (another David Bowie song reference) and involves a woman from our time (in London of course) who gets shot and that knocks her into 1981. She is some kind of criminal psychologist so she read Sam Tyler's written down experiances of his time in 1973. Thus when she gets to 1981 she tries to connect to her world in the same ways Sam Tyler could (to see if she is dead/alive/in a coma/caught between life and death, etc.). Plus, by watching that show I learned the fate of Sam Tyler's character in the 1970's and how long he stayed in the 70's, and that the people he worked with transfered to another district and this woman supposedly put in for a transfer to their new district (just like Tyler when he arrived). She recognized them by reading about them.  I've only seen one or two episodes but it is pretty good so far. It just started in Feb. of 2008, with another season scheduled for next Feb. I believe.

I thought Life On Mars was just as good in its second episode so I think I will continue watching. I am glad one of you said that they won't be doing things exactly like the British version. I don't know all that happened in that version but that will keep me from going and reading about it and spoiling the rest of this series for me.
What many ad execs do with most of their time.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 1:39am
The BBC original version of this series was remarkable.

I hope the ABC version does a decent job.
One man gathers what another man spills
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 11:32pm
I like the show, but for a cop he isn't very 'street smart' (unless the trip back somehow addled his brain.) 

"I'm from the future!  I'm from the future!"

"Okay future guy, who wins the World Series this year?"

(You'd think somebody in the precinct would ask him that question...?)
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 4:02am
so far it's looking good, they even added a new twist into the show. I'm not telling,you figure itself out for yourself. 
Gretel View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gretel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 12:32am
If the ratings stay strong, how long will ABC keep American Sam in 1973?  3, 4, 6 years?

The original version only lasted for 2 series because the character of Sam and the audience needed closure (was he dead, in a coma or really back in time).  I would have liked for it to go on longer but for how long can the plot be stretched?  It will be interesting to see what ABC does.  As for Ashes to Ashes, I only like it because it has Gene Hunt.  I can't get enough of that Phil Glenister!
The mind is a labyrinth
oliver feng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliver feng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 7:50am
Life on Mars is fantastic! Highly recommend it. Ashes to Ashes (sort of spin off from it) also very good.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 6:59pm
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it was announced today that ABC is canceling the show.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 8:52pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

you BASTARDS!!!

and yet sh*t like Laid f**knatomy and Private Sex Practice get to stay on the damn air!!!!!!

f**k YOU ABC!!!!!! A Broken Crappy Network!Angry

maybe one day TV will become so unwatchable that people will throw their TV's out the window and hardly anyone will watch it anymore.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

you BASTARDS!!!

and yet sh*t like Laid f**knatomy and Private Sex Practice get to stay on the damn air!!!!!!

f**k YOU ABC!!!!!! A Broken Crappy Network!Angry

maybe one day TV will become so unwatchable that people will throw their TV's out the window and hardly anyone will watch it anymore.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Now I'm hoping that ABC will sink back down into ratings basement, the way they were before Desperate Housewives and Lost.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 1:21am
I usually don't bemoan the cancellation of shows as even if I like them, I understand that the nature of the business is that sh*t stays and the good stuff fades away.
(there are exceptions I know, but as of late)

But this just gets to me, I mean when Pushing Daisies was canceled I chalked it up to the strike, and its struggle to find its audience as well as the fickleness of networks and fanciful high minded stuff, when we lost Arrested Development, I saw that as almost appropriate, like a rare treasure appeared that we had only a short time to enjoy and then it would fade before it got to be too much.
But this, this show is so classic, and well made. It caters to a numerous level of demographic
I don't know, it is really a shame.
Network tv is a wheezing dinosaur looking skyward whilst munching on the last bloated remains of its kind, admiring an approaching asteroid
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 2:14am
Canceling good shows and hanging on to crappy shows is a fricken waste of programming.  I'd rather have 'em bring back Chief Test Pattern! Angry
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 5:21am
And Private Practice is still on the air.

If somehow TV as we know it was destroyed and the only thing left to watch was either Private Practice or the test pattern channel, I'd be watching the test pattern.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it was announced today that ABC is canceling the show.

Yeah I figured as much. I wasn't going to give this show a second glance because I had seen the original on BBCA and thought it would be a waste of time. However I stuck around after LOST and was pleasantly surprised.

But I have to give it props for bring back an element almost extinct today...... Real Men! Today society seems to only give men 2 choices as rolemodels. Either be effeminate metrosexuals or slightly retarded slobs. Although I'm nowhere near a real man, at least I had some examples growing up to what it means to be one. The guys have style, confidence, and the ability to kick your ass.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 2:50am
damn and the quality is getting better, Sam was naming undercover cops after famous people from the future.LOL
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 3:17am
So what did you think of the ending?

I thought it was pretty original and certainly NOT what I was suspecting,certainly not that.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 3:24am
I thought it was just awesome! All very sci-fi.Clap
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 11:33pm
If they brought the characters back and just did a 70's cop show, I'd watch it.  It would have been a pretty strong show even without the sci-fi stuff....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic