Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid things TV weathermen do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid things TV weathermen do
    Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 1:49am
*Stands in front of things they're trying to point out or explain...confuses everyone
Sponsored Links

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 6:22am
"As you can see behind me.." Well, actually, no, we can't see because you're in the way, Einstein!Angry
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 5:15pm
I got a long, long list of stupid things I've done.

Here's a few of the stupider ones...

1)  I typed in "patchy dog" rather than "patchy fog" on the full screen graphics.

2)  I called the anchor by the wrong name

3)  I called myself by the wrong name

4)  I tried to draw the east coast of the United States freehand and started with the state of Florida.  It looked a little "x-rated".

5)  I smashed my clicker (the thing that we use to change the maps) on the floor in the middle of weathercast. I stepped on the cord while walking across my maps and it got ripped out of my hand the next time I tried to point to something.  It was an accident.

6)  I threw my clicker toward the camera because it was no longer working.  It wasn't an accident.  I did it for laughs.  It had the desired results.

7)  And the single dumbest thing I ever did:  I misread our current conditions (temp, humidity, etc) and thought our air was too dry to support a huge area of sleet and freezing rain moving in from the west...and said so on the air.  I was wrong and a half hour after I got off the air we had 3/4 of an inch of sleet on the ground.  That was 10 years ago and I still haven't lived it down.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 10:06pm
ohhh, should I should I?

I guess he didn't notify the graphics guy of the right graphic.

NSFW or children YOU HAVE BE WARNED it's not graphic but the words are highly inappropriate.

this guy did a flub

MAKE SURE YOU'RE HEAVY ENOUGH IN A STORM!

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by BadWX BadWX wrote:

3)  I called myself by the wrong name

4)  I tried to draw the east coast of the United States freehand and started with the state of Florida.  It looked a little "x-rated".

5)  I smashed my clicker (the thing that we use to change the maps) on the floor in the middle of weathercast. I stepped on the cord while walking across my maps and it got ripped out of my hand the next time I tried to point to something.  It was an accident.

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 11:03pm
Oh LOL child molester...
mbaker View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 1:26pm

In this clip, you'll find a hula dancer reporting the weather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA2Nbo1gSfM&feature=related
If it's got wings, i can crash it!
PrinceJ View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrinceJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 10:23pm
Leave it to the TV weatherman to report a snowstorm in the middle of winter as an unexpected catastophy of epic proportions.

Things I hate:

Calling 40 degrees Fahrenheit "cold". Then what do you call 20?
"Real Feel" temperatures, as in it is 85 but it feels like 100.
Cutsy poo names for storms like "thunder-bumpers".
Refering to storms as "Nor-easters".  When am I going to get some "Nor-easter" eggs?
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 4:02am
Originally posted by PrinceJ PrinceJ wrote:

Leave it to the TV weatherman to report a snowstorm in the middle of winter as an unexpected catastophy of epic proportions.

Things I hate:

"Real Feel" temperatures, as in it is 85 but it feels like 100.
Cutsy poo names for storms like "thunder-bumpers".
Refering to storms as "Nor-easters".  When am I going to get some "Nor-easter" eggs?

I never, EVER use the terms warm or cold in my forecast without some definitive reference point.  In otherwords, if it's been in the 80s and it's about to drop in the 60s I will say it's going to be colder.  Or, I will say it is going to be cold for this time of year.  Or I will say you may feel a bit of chill in the air.

Nor-easter is a very old term (about 400 years) and refers to a specific type of storm.  It's not just a cutesy name.

Real Feel is a copyrighted term.  Accuweather owns it and they are very nasty about it.  If a meteorologist uses it on air, they better be using the Accuweather service or prepare to be sued.

Having said that, the Heat Index and Wind Chill Factor are important because you need to know how your body is going to react to a certain temperature...even if that temperature isn't what is showing up on the thermometer.  For example, if it is -5 outside, most people won't develop frostbite for at least 30 minutes.  However, add a 30 mph wind to that and a person could end up getting frostbite in 10 minutes.

The Heat Index works the same way, except that humidity is the aggravating factor to the temperature, not wind.  The more humidity (water vapor) in the air, the less efficiently your body can cool itself, the quicker you can suffer heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

Finally, any met who ever uses the term thunder-bumper in my vicinity gets one right in the mouth.  Ok, that's a joke.  But I do hate that with a passion.  I also hate the term thundershower.  There is no such thing.  By definition, thunder qualifies a shower as a storm.  Therefore, if thunder is present...it must be a storm.  Hence, thunderstorm.
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 5:07am

YES!

I live in the midwest and every time it's going to snow, the weatherperson and anchors act surprised.

We've also got a weatherperson here named Katie Horner who is a pain in the ass: http://www.firekatie.com
She freaks out and preempts 5 hours of TV if there's even a single indication of lightning.  Okay, I exaggerate, but she's pretty bad.
doggiethedog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 7:21am
Sok, I'm not a big fan of KatieAngry, or her weekend weatherperson, Devin Luchie(sp?). I wish Gary Amble was still on in the evenings, but KCTV stuck him on the noon newscast.

What annoys me is the fact that the various stations will all have WILDLY VARYING forecasts, especially during the winter months (Mike Thompson will forecast a "dusting" of snow while Gary "I'm In Love With My Dogs" Lezak will predict a major snowstorm- and will predict six inches in Leavenworth and two inches in Independence, and so on).

On the subject of Lezak, he built a new home equipped with a "meterology center" among other things, and is rumored to have special seats for Royals/Chiefs games for himself AND HIS DOGS!!!LOL(he has two dogs that he takes with him to schools, and they perform tricks while he gives presentations to the kids).

On a more serious note, Gary had a cancerous brain tumor removed in the late 90s, and has recovered splendidly.

Thompson hosts a weather presentation for school kids annually at a Royals weekday game right before the end of the school year(the attendance rivals that of giveaway days). My niece attended one of these a couple of years ago.Clap
Sometimes you feel like an Idol
Sometimes you feel like an Idiot
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 7:27am
Yeah, I remember when he had the brain tumor.

I personally don't watch the TV news very much.  I prefer to read the newspaper.  I only notice the weatherpeople when they interrupt things.

Where in the KC area do you live?
PrinceJ View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrinceJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 2:02pm
I want to add something annecdotal about wind chill factor.  Before I bought a car, I used to work in the city and take the train to work each day.  The train station is 2.5 miles from my house, and I joined a gym two blocks away from it.  On cold winter nights I would come home from work and I's be shivering on my way to the gym.  I would get on the treadmill and run fast for an hours.  Then I would get dressed and walk home, and I would not feel very cold at all.

Other evenings I would go out to dinner.  After I ate, the temperature felt much colder (no doubt because my blod was not circulating but aiding in digestion).  Therefore I argue that there is no unique way that 30 degrees Fahrenheit feels--it not only depends on what temperature proceeded it but your physical exertion as well.

In February of 2000, I ran a 7 mile race in Central Park where the temperature was 26 degrees with wind gusts of 30 mph.  I did not get frostbite--i ran without a coat or jacket.  I was not alone either--there were 1000 other runners with me, mostly members of the New York Road Runner Club. So maybe there is another temperature equivilence factor for runners/athletes.
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 7:13pm

I want to add something annecdotal about wind chill factor.  Before I bought a car, I used to work in the city and take the train to work each day.  The train station is 2.5 miles from my house, and I joined a gym two blocks away from it.  On cold winter nights I would come home from work and I's be shivering on my way to the gym.  I would get on the treadmill and run fast for an hours.  Then I would get dressed and walk home, and I would not feel very cold at all.

Other evenings I would go out to dinner.  After I ate, the temperature felt much colder (no doubt because my blod was not circulating but aiding in digestion).  Therefore I argue that there is no unique way that 30 degrees Fahrenheit feels--it not only depends on what temperature proceeded it but your physical exertion as well.

In February of 2000, I ran a 7 mile race in Central Park where the temperature was 26 degrees with wind gusts of 30 mph.  I did not get frostbite--i ran without a coat or jacket.  I was not alone either--there were 1000 other runners with me, mostly members of the New York Road Runner Club. So maybe there is another temperature equivilence factor for runners/athletes.

It's all about averages.  Everyone is different.  However, when the average person will suffer frostbite at a certain temperature, that is what the National Weather Service has to go with.  People gripe all the time about how they didn't know it would be that cold, or they didn't know it would be that hot, or they didn't know they should slow down when it's snowing, etc, etc, etc.

Personal responsibility plays a major role here.  We can only do so much.  It's up to the general public to take action and make sure they are safe during bad weather.  I can only tell you that the average person at -30 will get frostbite in less than 10 minutes...it's up to you to decide what to do with that information.

BTW, at 26 with a wind of 30 mph it's no surprise you didn't get frostbite.  The wind chill factor would've been around +10.  That wouldn't create frostbite for at least an hour.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 8:29pm

Things I hate:

In August of 1987 I was in Wichita, Kansas and the High was 107 Degrees. That evening a Front came through. The next day I had a HOWLING Laugh when I heard the Weather Forecaster say the Weather Prediction: "Sunny and MUCH COOLER with a High of 90." I had never heard 90 Degrees described as "Much Cooler"!LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

In August of 1987 I was in Wichita, Kansas and the High was 107 Degrees. That evening a Front came through. The next day I had a HOWLING Laugh when I heard the Weather Forecaster say the Weather Prediction: "Sunny and MUCH COOLER with a High of 90." I had never heard 90 Degrees described as "Much Cooler"!LOL

That's dumb.  You don't say "much cooler", you say "not as hot".

BTW, in case anyone is interested, this is what they taught me in weather school regarding partly cloudy/partly sunny.

Yes, Virginia...there is a difference.

Partly cloudy means more sun than clouds.
Partly sunny means more clouds than sun.

So, if you look at it on a scale from clear skies to cloudy skies, it goes like this...

Clear/Sunny
Mostly sunny
Partly cloudy
Partly sunny
Mostly cloudy
Overcast

Also, another personal gripe of mine....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "FAIR" SKIES!!!!  I hate it when the National Weather Service uses that term.  That means there are no clouds below 12,000 feet.  Ok great, fine, lovely.  So, you can have mid to high level clouds blocking out the sun, yet still call it "fair".  No no.  Very stupid.  No wonder the general public has such trouble understanding our forecasts.

I love my work, I really do.  I am not the greatest meteorologist whoever lived, but some of my fellow mets make me want to blow chunks.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2008 at 4:30am
Originally posted by SokMunkie SokMunkie wrote:

Yeah, I remember when he had the brain tumor.

I personally don't watch the TV news very much.  I prefer to read the newspaper.  I only notice the weatherpeople when they interrupt things.

Where in the KC area do you live?

Wyandotte County
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2008 at 4:39am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Things I hate:

Right before Christmas 1989 we set the record for the lowest temp ever (-23)Unhappy, and when it started warming up, i remember one weatherman telling us to "hit the pool, it's gonna be a sizzling 23 degrees tomorrow!!!"LOL
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 6:00am
Put those obnoxious maps/crawls on for every unimportant, minor weather event.    The weather people in Cleveland are awful(especially the local ABC station).     Every time there's a thunderstorm in Sandusky(western Ohio) we in Cleveland start seeing maps on screen advertising it.   One time last spring there was a huge storm in Western Ohio that local TV interrupted for an hour and a half to talk about.   When it finally reached the viewing area, it was just light rain and wind.   It was fun to see Mark Johnson run away with his tail between his legs.

Also the winter is bad.   When we get snow storms, TV goes into a frenzy with school closings.    They've even ran them during primetime programming several times(it snowed that much).    Bad thing about that is in order for the station to put that annoying banner on screen, they have to drop back to standard definition programming on the HDTV channels.   So instead of seeing my favorite shows in glorious HDTV, I get to see SDTV with obnoxious crap on screen.    NBC is the worst offender as they have black bars on all four sides of the picture.    All for something stupid like school closings.  What ever happened to the fun of waking up in the morning and seeing that school is closed and you can go back to sleep?
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 5:54am
I LOVE WINTER SCHOOL CLOSINGS!

sorry. Embarrassed

I just get excited in anticipation to see whether my school is closed or not looking through the lists on the bottom.

I like snow too.Big%20smile
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 6:26am
I like closed school too.  But I like HDTV even more.   And no on screen clutter. Big%20smile

Snow, ummm CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic