Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Devour microwave meals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

I'm about to turn 36, garlic mashed potatoes, shrimp, and wings have been around longer than I have (same as garlic bread), so you can hardly cite them as some modern hipster example of adding garlic to everything. Never heard of garlic mussels. Doesn't sound appealing, though.

Well, those were the only examples I could think of off the top of my head. If you ever watch some of these modern cooking shows or even some travel shows where they explore the fashionable, hipster enclaves of various cities, and do featured segments on these stereotypical shaved headed young culinary school graduate, hipster restaurant owner/entrepreneur chefs, you'll hear them yammering about creating fu-fu dishes with garlic this and garlic that.

Whatever.

You are under no obligation to believe me as it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

And no, I don't touch Kraft or Velveeta mac & cheese, that stuff is nasty. I'm talking about real mac and cheese, which doesn't have a crust (and sorry, that pic? the mac under the crust doesn't look gooey at all, it looks dry, which is exactly how it has been every single  time I've eaten mac fixed like that).

Again, your opinion.

That and a $6 will get you a small coffee at Starbucks.

A lot of people like their mac-n-cheese with a crispy baked bread crumb and cheese top crust. What is "real" mac-n-cheese to you might not be to others. Many of them also know how to make it so it isn't dry.

And since you are not the arbiter of such things, again, your opinion is just that, and as such, has no meaning to anyone but you.

Maybe you're just not a very good cook...?

Try this....

Cook's Country mac-n-cheese recipe

Maybe it will help you.

(Note the "not dry" appearance of the underlying pasta)
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 4:53pm
Damn Jimbo! I could eat a vat of that right now. Try some pepper jack cheese with sharp cheddar for a little added zip.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Damn Jimbo! I could eat a vat of that right now. Try some pepper jack cheese with sharp cheddar for a little added zip.

You and I need to have lunch someday.....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

That would be so much fun!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:50pm

For me it would be anyway....

You might not get anything to eat.

(given my penchant for inhaling everything edible in sight)

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:52pm

If that vat of Mac and cheese was up for grabs, it could get ugly.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:57pm

If that vat of Mac and cheese was up for grabs, it could get ugly.

Yes, it could!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 6:00pm
^ LOLLOL

You two just wait on DKS and we can have a regular Mac & Cheese Smack Down. LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

^
LOLLOL

You two just wait on DKS and we can have a regular Mac & Cheese Smack Down. LOL

The only things that would be smacking down would be my lips!!!

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 8:55pm
To each their own.  Smile  I know what Jimbo is saying about the garlic in everything.  Since I'm half Italian, I have a genetic disposition to liking garlic, but usually only in Italian food.  Wink  I also wear a necklace of garlic around my neck at night in bed to ward off vampires.  Shocked  Garlic mashed potatoes?  No!  I like mashed potatoes to be the American (or English) way.  Jack in the Box now has the Buttery Jack burger with garlic mixed in with butter.  (It's pretty good if you like garlic.)

I like the crusty topping type of macaroni and cheese, as well as the traditional.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 8:59pm
I have this craving for a big ole plate of ghetti and a loaf of GARLIC bread!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

To each their own.  Smile  I know what Jimbo is saying about the garlic in everything.  Since I'm half Italian, I have a genetic disposition to liking garlic, but usually only in Italian food.  Wink  I also wear a necklace of garlic around my neck at night in bed to ward off vampires.  Shocked  Garlic mashed potatoes?  No!  I like mashed potatoes to be the American (or English) way.  Jack in the Box now has the Buttery Jack burger with garlic mixed in with butter.  (It's pretty good if you like garlic.)

I like the crusty topping type of macaroni and cheese, as well as the traditional.

Garlic is ABSOLUTELY ok in Italian food. As long as it isn't overpowering. Garlic bread is a MUST with spaghetti, lasagna etc.

But this whole modern fad of putting it in everything... like macaroni & cheese... is just too much IMO.

Nice gooey mac & cheese with a crunchy crust on top is just a bit of Heaven in Earth!!!

C'mon, man!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm

[QUOTE=DKS]

I don't cook it like that to begin with, cause I only eat mac and cheese, not that sh*tty crusty stuff that some people pretend is mac and cheese. But I've had plenty of other people's attempts at it. Always dryer than mac and cheese has any right to be.

You can enjoy the crusty crap if you want. You can enjoy a well done steak if you want. You can enjoy pizza topped with peas and mayo(I recently learned this is a real thing) if you want. But it's not real mac, not real steak, and not real pizza.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:02pm

I don't cook it like that to begin with, cause I only eat mac and cheese, not that sh*tty crusty stuff that some people pretend is mac and cheese. But I've had plenty of other people's attempts at it. Always dryer than mac and cheese has any right to be.

You can enjoy the crusty crap if you want. You can enjoy a well done steak if you want. You can enjoy pizza topped with peas and mayo(I recently learned this is a real thing) if you want. But it's not real mac, not real steak, and not real pizza.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

You obviously take this stuff very seriously.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 6:14pm
^LOL

If a frozen dinner is one of your favorite meals, his taste is impaired anyway.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 4:28am

^LOL

It's not one of my favorite meals. It's one of my favorite meals when I don't feel like going out for something, or don't feel like cooking anything. I work overnights. I normally sleep to around 9 pm, then I start getting ready for work at 10, so I have a fairly short window between waking up and going to work. Frozen dinners are perfect for that window, and these are better than most.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 6:34pm

^LOL

It's not one of my favorite meals. It's one of my favorite meals when I don't feel like going out for something, or don't feel like cooking anything. I work overnights. I normally sleep to around 9 pm, then I start getting ready for work at 10, so I have a fairly short window between waking up and going to work. Frozen dinners are perfect for that window, and these are better than most.
Wow...how we get off-track only to find out who the leaders and followers are and to force others to defend themselves and otherwise hurt them. This is the 'Recommend/Don't Recommend' forum and I understand it is easy to cross into 'Agree/Condemn' arenas.
Let me speak from the positive-side and once again express thank DKS. Because of his initial comments, I still eat the Buffalo Mac & Cheese. I remember people's names or 'handles' when they do or say something that impresses me in some form or fashion, others either aren't as lucky, or are luckier (depending upon your point of view). And I don't care is 91% hot, cheesy, dripping salt - I KNOW that it may kill me next week, but I LIKE it, and that's what counts when it comes to fast, filling, tasty meals in the 'Book of Life According to Paw'. DKS? The next time I'm in your neighborhood, the Buffalo Mac & Cheese is on me.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Wow...how we get off-track only to find out who the leaders and followers are and to force others to defend themselves and otherwise hurt them. This is the 'Recommend/Don't Recommend' forum and I understand it is easy to cross into 'Agree/Condemn' arenas.
Let me speak from the positive-side and once again express thank DKS. Because of his initial comments, I still eat the Buffalo Mac & Cheese. I remember people's names or 'handles' when they do or say something that impresses me in some form or fashion, others either aren't as lucky, or are luckier (depending upon your point of view). And I don't care is 91% hot, cheesy, dripping salt - I KNOW that it may kill me next week, but I LIKE it, and that's what counts when it comes to fast, filling, tasty meals in the 'Book of Life According to Paw'. DKS? The next time I'm in your neighborhood, the Buffalo Mac & Cheese is on me.

Just make sure that prior to cooking it and serving it to him, you apply a nice, heavy coating of bread crumbs and grated/shredded cheese, then bake it in a real oven until the top is a crispy golden brown and the mac & cheese underneath is a bit on the dry side.

That's the only way he likes it!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:15pm
Nothing against DKS and his eating habits, I know how it feels to need food at odd hours when there is nothing in the house.

I bought 4 of these Devour meals, I didn't get to them quick enough so the wife ate 3 of them.
2 of the choices were her's anyway.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 8:50pm

Nothing against DKS and his eating habits, I know how it feels to need food at odd hours when there is nothing in the house.

I bought 4 of these Devour meals, I didn't get to them quick enough so the wife ate 3 of them.
2 of the choices were her's anyway.

In truth, the buffalo mac is the main one worth trying. Don't get me wrong, most of the ones I've had aren't bad or anything(I wasn't real big on the chicken enchilada one), but the buffalo mac is both better and more filling than any of the others I've tried(I finally found the chicken cordon bleu mac in stock today, so I will put it to the test soon).
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 9:49pm

In truth, the buffalo mac is the main one worth trying. Don't get me wrong, most of the ones I've had aren't bad or anything(I wasn't real big on the chicken enchilada one), but the buffalo mac is both better and more filling than any of the others I've tried(I finally found the chicken cordon bleu mac in stock today, so I will put it to the test soon).

Don't forget to put bread crumbs and cheese on top, then bake it in a nice, hot oven!!!!

You know... the way you like it best!!!

C'mon, man!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 6:49pm

Don't forget to put bread crumbs and cheese on top, then bake it in a nice, hot oven!!!!

Should I also add mayo and peas?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 6:55pm

Should I also add mayo and peas?

That's just gross!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 7:08pm
LOLLOL
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:12pm
I tried the chicken cordon bleu mac and cheese tonight. It's good, but it does not dethrone the buffalo mac. It is a bit more filling on a per meal basis than the angus beef or the meatloaf ones, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic