Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any old songs that you can't forget.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I like the smell of vehicles burning diesel gas on very cold mornings - I'll find that place, take a deep breath and smile.

I used to actually open my windows while driving through the Holland Tunnel.  I loved diesel fumes.  For some reason, no longer.  I think I simply discovered the parfum du polyurethane and lost interest in diesel.

Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:32pm
Sorry guys, the smell of diesel smoke is disgusting and probably bad for the lungs. We had a lot of diesel engines during my career.  I think it causes drain bamage too.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:02pm
This song has been an earworm of mine for as many years as it has been around, but not until I looked it up to post here, did I know it was by The Pointer Sisters...

Hell, I had no idea it wasn't a GUY singing it!!!

I always figured it was the same guy who did that song "(I Always Feel Like) Somebody's Watching Me".

Good song, though.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:07pm
^ I love that song!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This song has been an earworm of mine for as many years as it has been around, but not until I looked it up to post here, did I know it was by The Pointer Sisters...

Hell, I had no idea it wasn't a GUY singing it!!!

I always figured it was the same guy who did that song "(I Always Feel Like) Somebody's Watching Me".

Good song, though.

Never heard it, but maybe there's a Pointer Sister who's a "sister" in name only.  I'd have guessed it was a guy singing, too.

As far as "Somebody's Watching Me"---well, one of the singers in that song is Michael Jackson, confusing the whole guy/girl thing even further.

God, 80s clothes were atrocious.  Well, that pink dress isn't so bad.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

^ I love that song!

Me too!!!

Reminds me of myself so many times trying to talk to some hot girl in a disco....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Never heard it, but maybe there's a Pointer Sister who's a "sister" in name only.  I'd have guessed it was a guy singing, too.

Well, that pink dress isn't so bad.  LOL

You must've never ridden in a car that had a working radio in it, or gone into a fast food place that played music over the speaker system or gone into a nightclub that played dance music or.....

That song was everywhere back in the 80's.

I still hear it occasionally in the grocery store.

I'm surprised you haven't heard it at work on "Walmart Radio"...

But yeah, the tiny little "dress" is quite nice. And she has the legs for it, too!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:40pm
I see that was from 1984.  I was living in SF.  My car had a cassette deck, fast food was virtually banned in SF, and the clubs I was going to were punk-rock clubs.

And don't knock Walmart radio, dammit!  Actually, they play some pretty decent stuff.  Today, I heard Bowie's Suffragette City.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:17pm
ohhhhhh, silly white boyz still dreamin' of crossing over to 'The Dark Side'LOLWink.

The Pointer Sisters are still out there performing. I would suggest putting 'Mr. Johnson' back in his cage, the Vaseline Intensive and Care Charmin TP back in the bathroom, and the  before looking them up...but DO look them up - you may decide to go bowling, instead.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:44pm
I thought one of them died not too long ago....

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I thought one of them died not too long ago....
Unfortunately true - June Pointer crossed at the age of 52, thanks to cancer.
She was single and fresh (the youngest) and had that sweet little tiny gap between her top two front teeth....
Related image
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:30pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:36pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:52pm
Here's some trivia,  does anyone know what '10 CC' stands for?

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:43pm
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 12:16am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Here's some trivia,  does anyone know what '10 CC' stands for?

Well, cc stands for too many things to list, the most common being cubic centimeters.

Another common meaning is carbon copy.

A few others are:

Closed Captioning
Courtesy Copy (email; for those who never used carbon paper)     
Country Club     
Community College
Cross Country
Common Criteria
Christian Church
Clinical Center (NIH)
Community Center
City Council
Cruise Control

So 10cc would be 10 of any of the above things.

With regards to the name of the band, there is one thing that it DOES stand for and one thing that it doesn't

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:19am
^LOL  I guess it was just a myth.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:46am
Now what about The Lovin' Spoonful?  LOL

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:05am
LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:28pm
Confused'tis ice-cold, very sunny mornings like today where this song has to be heard full-volume. I immediately recall heading any number of large computing sites in Newark with massive hangovers in bumper-to-bumper traffic on crappy roads next to ultra-polluted, reeking creeks with a cigarette hanging out of the mouth and window open for the fresh diesel air and a few other suit-wearing drunks doing all they can do to not puke before the office parking lot...
...and this one reminds me of one too many evenings in the Clifton/Passaic area around Newark...at least I only had to come into town once or twice a year...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Confused'tis ice-cold, very sunny mornings like today where this song has to be heard full-volume. I immediately recall heading any number of large computing sites in Newark with massive hangovers in bumper-to-bumper traffic on crappy roads next to ultra-polluted, reeking creeks with a cigarette hanging out of the mouth and window open for the fresh diesel air and a few other suit-wearing drunks doing all they can do to not puke before the office parking lot...

I'd never heard that song until a few weeks ago on the radio station I listen to.  The ending cracked me up:

Don't leave me stranded here
I can't get used to this lifestyle

LOL

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Now what about The Lovin' Spoonful?  LOL

The band took their name as homage to blues singer Mississippi John Hurt's song "Coffee Blues."

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 6:29pm
I'm going back in time today.  While I listen to that great song from Frampton.

wE'RE NOT IN kANSAS ANYMORE, tOTO.  Confused Freaking cap lock!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:03pm
I heard this song early this morning on the way to the grocery store, it reminds me of my last serious relationship in Indiana.

On the same trip, I heard this song.  This reminds me of my love for the woman in my life now.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic