Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swamp People....is awful!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swamp People....is awful!
    Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:36pm
The History Network is responsible for some good programmes, (Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc.), but this Swamp People thing is just bloody awful.
The main person is a chap with a difficult speech impediment named Troy Landry. This show features a bunch of Cajun people in Louisiana who enjoys killing alligators for sport.
I would rather see the gators win the battle.
One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

wizardofozone View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizardofozone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:16pm
When you have a job position you've done for 40 plus years, one of the tricks to watch for is how this person reacts to sudden dangerous situations both in the white collar world as well as in the swamp stained blue collar world ....  Fifty years of croc hunting (this is not for sport by the way, this is the way they make a living) hasn't taken away the apparant fear and dread factor from the lead character who seems at every croc haul in to maniaclly begin yelling " SHOOT !  SHOOT ! ... as if he was pulling in baby Godzilla ....  I certainly can picture me screaming out like a little girl, but not after 40 years at this same job .....

Dead .. (dead Croc )
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:31pm
The History channel used to have some good programming, I don't even have cable anymore.

All of this reality crap got old 10 years ago, I'm sorry Jimmy, I just can't handle that jerk Rick from Pawn Stars.  About Swamp People, this type of sh*t should not even make the airwaves. Like Duck Dynasty!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:43pm
I cannot imagine anything more boring than watching people buying and selling junk or hand fishing for giant catfish or whatever it was they did on dick dy-nasty.

I'd rather watch my toenails grow.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:20am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

The History channel used to have some good programming, I don't even have cable anymore.

All of this reality crap got old 10 years ago, I'm sorry Jimmy, I just can't handle that jerk Rick from Pawn Stars.  About Swamp People, this type of sh*t should not even make the airwaves. Like Duck Dynasty!

Rick doesn't bother me until he laughs, and I love it when he busts Chumlee's balls.
Rick is pretty knowledgable about history, and I love history.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I cannot imagine anything more boring than watching people buying and selling junk or hand fishing for giant catfish or whatever it was they did on dick dy-nasty.

I'd rather watch my toenails grow.

American Pickers & Pawn Stars often show old toys on their programmes. I don't collect old toys, but I love seeing them, and finding out how much money people are willing to spend for them. As a child, I had a huge collection of Matchbox Cars, and toy soldiers.I wish I still had them!
wizardofozone View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizardofozone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:05am
No man with the intelligence that Rick appears to posess would ever put up with the moronic, childish, cheap street trash mentality of 'Chumlee' .... What's supposed to be the deal here ? "Let's get Chumlee a $16000 Harley build  for his birthday !" ....  "Let's not fire Chumlee when he quits his job because he thinks he has won $10000 "  .... (which he called being rich) .... 

Chumlee is not funny, he needs to be serving a prison term for one of the many things I'm sure he's gotten away with ....  After that he needs to get a job with some group like the lumberjack people who would put his lazy behind to some real work .....
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:25am
I pretty much avoid all reality shows be it restoring cars, swamp people, duck dynasty, survivor, kiddie pagents, Braxton family values, real housewives, marriage boot camps, Alaskan loggers etc. Etc.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 4:56am
This is what happens when there are too many channels.  They have airtime to fill, and crap programming fills it as good as quality programming (and crap is cheaper to make, so that's what you'll get.  LOL )  Never had cable, so never missed it much... LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

This is what happens when there are too many channels.  They have airtime to fill, and crap programming fills it as good as quality programming (and crap is cheaper to make, so that's what you'll get.  LOL )  Never had cable, so never missed it much... LOL

I gave up on cable 10 years ago, and I don't miss it at all. Pfizer, you actually did me a favor when you pushed one of your pills during a children's show.  After getting Angry PCensoredd off Angry I made my decision to obtain my entertainment and informational means via other means, and the results far exceeded my expectations.  Hakuna Matada! Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

American Pickers & Pawn Stars often show old toys on their programmes. I don't collect old toys, but I love seeing them, and finding out how much money people are willing to spend for them. As a child, I had a huge collection of Matchbox Cars, and toy soldiers.I wish I still had them!

Yeah, there's actual history discussed about a lot of the stuff featured on those shows. Sure you won't learn as much about say, some antique pistol from the show as you would from I dunno, buying and reading "The Exhaustive History of Firearms" book, it's still an interesting watch sometimes.

It's also fun when I know more about the items being sold than Rick and company do. Someone brings in a sword or something, and he's like "I've never seen one like that, let me call in an expert" while I'm looking at the screen going "it's an African executioner's sword typically used by the tribes in the area of Lake Chad..."
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Same here, but I prefer to see it on Antiques Roadshow where an expert explains the history of the item then simply appraises the value.

I don't like watching people negotiating business transactions for entertainment purposes.

That's too much like being at work or something.

I never could understand why anyone would want to watch people on TV shows like Shark Tank or The Apprentice or any other show about trying to make deals for profit, doing basically the same thing they slave their own lives away at for 50 - 60 hours a week in order to earn a living.

I watch TV to ESCAPE reality, not watch some contrived version of it.

Different tastes, I guess.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:28am
I sometimes watch parts of Shark Tank, but it would be nice if they got pranked once in a while (even though some of the pitches already seem that way...)
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

[QUOTE=Jimmy
Same here, but I prefer to see it on Antiques Roadshow where an expert explains the history of the item then simply appraises the value.

Admittedly, I don't claim to be an expert on Antique Road Show, but based on what I've seen, there's a LOT less interesting things and less variety on that show than I see on Pawn Stars or American Pickers.

But yeah, f**k Shark Tank and The Apprentice.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:49am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

About the only laughs I get from Pawn Stars is when know it all Rick ends up knowing nothing about a subject. One episode involved photos of a Japanese A6M2 type 21 "Zero" fighter which was shot down in the Aleutian Islands near Dutch Harbor in 1942. Rick the "genus" declared them fake as the Aleutians were not a WW2 U.S. theater of operations. Actually they were the only North American U.S. territory invaded and occupied by the Japanese. My Mother's younger Brother and her Sister's Husband were killed in the Aleutians in 1942. Not from enemy action. They were civilian contract employees and died in industrial accidents building airstrips so I lost 2 Uncles in the Aleutian campaign 10 years before I was born. The "Zero" photos are somewhat famous and are displayed in several WW2 history books. The airplane was shipped to the states and studied. It's weaknesses were discovered and pre-production changes were made to the Grumman F6F Hellcat fighter which ended up being a major factor in the total decimation of the Japanese air forces. Sorry Rick. I have been studying military history specializing in aviation since I started reading at the age of 4. I lived my dream of serving in military aviation for 29 years 10 months. I continue by living in a airpark with many other military aviation retirees since 2000. One other time Rick dropped the ball was with a WW2 leather jacket which had a European theater fighter squadron patch painted on the front and a Lockheed P-38 'Lightning' fighter painted on the back. Rick the "genus" declared it fake as P-38s only served in the Pacific theater. Idiot!

In the ETO, P-38s made 130,000 sorties with a loss of 1.3% overall, comparing favorably with ETO P-51s, which posted a 1.1% loss, considering that the P-38s were vastly outnumbered and suffered from poorly thought-out tactics. The majority of the P-38 sorties were made in the period prior to Allied air superiority in Europe, when pilots fought against a very determined and skilled enemy. A total of 441 P-38s were lost in the European Theater of Operations so there were obviously a fairly large number serving there.

EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:16am

The P-38 was the only Allied fighter that could return to base after losing one engine... ;-)

The biggest problems with the P-38's were unreliable engines, and the lack of dive flaps in the early models.  (Planes going into high speed dives were affected by incompressibility, in which the airflow over the wings locked the control surfaces in place, usually all the way to the ground.  The dive flaps introduced turbulance to breakup the airflow.  The German ME-262 jets also suffered from this, but they never discovered dive flaps, which are now standard on all fighters.)  Wink

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:50pm
Another programme on the History channel that I enjoy, which is sort of a guilty pleasure like the rest of the programmes listed on this thread, is Counting Cars. The main character, a chap named Danny, who never takes his bandana off, nor does he ever remove his sunglasses, seems to enjoy re-working cars etc....and they always look awesome afterward. Danny is cool as hell, but he has his arms tattooed pretty well,the only thing he should've done with those decorated limbs is to pump them up. Middle-aged men with tattooed arms should keep them hidden, unless they're muscular. Weak arms with tattoo's look silly. Ink doesn't cover the flabbiness. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm

'Counting Cars' Danny is an ordained minister, to top everything else off.

~~~

Actually, as much as we can slam 'Swamp People', I've forced myself to watch enough to where I can see the good side of Troy - he seems like a good man and a bit of a leader. Doesn't mean I'm ready to go slam a 6-pak with him or anything, but I will always have a soft spot for honest, unassuming, hard-working, and sincere people. He impresses me as such.   
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:30am

The P-38 was the only Allied fighter that could return to base after losing one engine... ;-)

Pretty sure the P-38 was the only allied fighter with more than one engine. A P-38 did shoot down and kill the architect of Pearl Harbor, Adm. Yamamoto[sp.?].

Back on topic. I watched the first couple seasons on Pawn Stars. Don't know if Grand Pa is still on the show. Watching Rick beat down someone's rare item down to a few dollars just gets to me. 
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:59pm
What does Swamp People have to do with 'History'? I don't think it has to do with anything except crap! This channel used to be really good in the late '90s and early '00s, with Modern Marvels and a ton of documentaries. I still watch the occasional American Pickers, but rarely watch Pawn Stars anymore. Swamp People and the rest of their idiotic shows are not on my list!
Paying $177.00/month to Charter Spectrum for their triple play (TV/internet/phone). This is not worth the $177 we pay, and I'm about ready to go back to over-the-air digital TV.
This, almost all of Discovery's reality shows, 'My 600-Lb Life', 'Fat Guys in the Woods' (again WHY is this on the Weather Channel!?) all need to go.

I do like Shark Tank however. Much better show than 'Swamp People'! At least we get to see what's a good sales pitch and what's not. Sometimes the sharks all argue with each other, which makes for entertaining TV.
My relatives spend hours watching Animal Planet on weekends. 'Pit Bulls & Parolees,' 'North Woods Law,' and their favorite, Dr. Jeff: Rocky Mountain Vet. Amazing what the staff of Planned Pethood Plus does for dogs, cats, birds and their owners.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Pretty sure the P-38 was the only allied fighter with more than one engine. A P-38 did shoot down and kill the architect of Pearl Harbor, Adm. Yamamoto[sp.?].

Back on topic. I watched the first couple seasons on Pawn Stars. Don't know if Grand Pa is still on the show. Watching Rick beat down someone's rare item down to a few dollars just gets to me. 
Britain had the Mosquito and Beaufighter twins. Regarding anything but reality TV shows I sort of remember a Ba Ba Black Sheep episode in the 1970s with their USMC F4U Corsairs beating Army Air Force P-51 Mustangs to the ambush site and shooting down Yamamoto. Total fiction.Angry
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

Paying $177.00/month to Charter Spectrum for their triple play (TV/internet/phone). This is not worth the $177 we pay, and I'm about ready to go back to over-the-air digital TV.

My relatives spend hours watching Animal Planet on weekends. 'Pit Bulls & Parolees,' 'North Woods Law,' and their favorite, Dr. Jeff: Rocky Mountain Vet. Amazing what the staff of Planned Pethood Plus does for dogs, cats, birds and their owners.

Comcast just hooked me up to their Triple Play for $109/month a couple weeks ago. Highly doubtful I'll hook up a home phone. I just went to a local office and bitched.

Sunday night is Animal Planet night here. I love North Woods Law & Dr Jeff.
ILUVTOMH77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILUVTOMH77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:35pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates Swamp People.  Yeah, lets air a TV show about a bunch of hillbillies shooting alligators.  Swamp People is just as stupid as Axe Men. Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic