Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The View

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 2:36am
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

The Vacuousness and Vapidity of the panelists!

close.

but think more like a depiction of something...y'know....

forget it maybe it's just me.

I'm thinking too much.

it's too skinny to be that.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

Some of us do not believe in the utter nonsense written and re-written by supersititious, ancient, and probably very drunk people. Belly of a whale, pillars of salt, arks with a pair of every animal on it,  aged women giving birth. 

Oh & I suppose next you're going to tell us you don't believe the story about a burning talking bush or five thousand people being fed with two fishes & five loaves of bread, or parting the sea, or walking on water either.

I can't imagine how anyone might doubt such things.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:45am

I hardly think that my being amused at the people who take the bible's more ridiculous "stories" as truth is being "hateful".   So spare me your "maddy faced" smilie because using it shows you have the same intolerance you accused me of.   Some of us do not believe in the utter nonsense written and re-written by supersititious, ancient, and probably very drunk people. Belly of a whale, pillars of salt, arks with a pair of every animal on it,  aged women giving birth.  Yep sorry...it frightens me to think people believe in these things but won't allow their kids to participate in Halloween activities!  But I will say the bible is a great work of fiction!  Sadly though most religious people I know have never read it.  Wink 

LOLLOL

Spicy, I don't think you'll find too many Christians who believe that stuff literally.  Where have you been getting your knowledge of Christianity---from The View?  LOL

Unless you at least have some knowledge of Christianity or bother to look this stuff up, I don't get your "utter nonsense" comment.  Wink

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 1:18pm

Sorry for the length of the clip - but if you have 7 minutes it's pretty interesting.

At around 3:50 Bill Maher might be implying that Elizabeth H and Sherri Shephard are "irrational."

At 6:20ish Sherri challenges Bill to talk to God, because she does and He answers back.

Personally, I think it's a shame that TV personalities with extreme interpretations make Christianity look dumb.  It's insulting to rational Christians.

Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:15pm
I like Bill Maher.  Smart, funny guy.  But I think the unquestioning dismissal of the existence of God, is as irrational as the unquestioning acceptance of God.  There should be doubt on both sides. 

I also think that the reason people in highly-populated areas tend to believe in God less than those in more rural areas, is that everything around them is man-made.  That's just my theory.

But, whereas Maher seems basically respectful , Behar comes across to me as snide, condescending, sarcastic, dismissive, and superior.  Not just in this clip, but in other clips I've seen of her, as well.

And to anyone who thinks I dislike her based on her political views---well, I don't feel the same way about Whoopi, who I also like.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:16pm
I find it rather disturbing myself when people say God "speaks to them".

How in the hell do they know if it's God speaking to them or their own mind telling  them what they want to hear? Or even what they don't want to hear?

The whole idea is absurd.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

But, whereas Maher seems basically respectful , Behar comes across to me as snide, condescending, sarcastic, dismissive, and superior.

I think that's just her trying to be the "typical New Yorker".

In other words, her "shtick".

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:23pm
Yeah, probably.  But that's so old.  It's even more cliche than Jeff Foxworthy, who at least mocks redneckery as much as he celebrates it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

How in the hell do they know if it's God speaking to them or their own mind telling  them what they want to hear? Or even what they don't want to hear?

I'll agree with that.  I'd rather they look at that for what it is---looking into their own selves, and finding the moral answer there, which may very well be one that their faith has instilled in them.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:28pm
True. But the day when New Yorkers tire of portraying themselves as quintessential New Yorkers is nowhere in the foreseeable future.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:36pm

I'll agree with that.  I'd rather they look at that for what it is---looking into their own selves, and finding the moral answer there, which may very well be one that their faith has instilled in them.

Absolutely. And I'd venture to guess that most people of faith probably see it that way too. But as with anything else, there is that group who for whatever reason... lack of intellect or common sense or whatever, have to take things literally & claim that God actually puts words into their heads as if in conversation not realizing that they're making other people  think that religious people are all goofy.

I have always felt that there are plenty of intelligent people who also possess religious faith, but you just don't hear a lot out of those people because they are the ones who tend to keep it to themselves as they should & refrain from being so vocal about it.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 3:51pm
I know two Christian preachers, and neither of them are nutty.  I think the people who take things so literally are simply looking for something to follow, and religion seems easy enough.  The louder they are, the more they feel like they "believe".  To actually have to look for a less literal meaning to their beliefs, would require their own thought---which is NOT the purpose of such people, whose intentions are simply to belong to something that they see as telling them what to do.  I think a lot of these people don't otherwise have it in themselves to know right from wrong.  This is why some of the most zealous of all people, have previously led lives they needed to be "saved" from.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 4:17pm
So true. It's just an inescapable fact that religion tends to attract people with problems they created themselves, then couldn't solve so they buy into the idea that Jesus is the next miracle cure-all for everything & all they have to do is start spouting off some basic tenets of faith without thinking for themselves which, as you said they often times lack the ability to do anyway. Which is likely what got them into the situation where they needed to go looking for a crutch to prop themselves up to begin with.

The unfair thing is that the rest of the faithful get branded by the ones who stand out the most, which unfortunately are the goof balls.

But the same is true in any ideology, be it political or otherwise.

Liberals are all branded as moonbat kooks based on the actions of well meaning simpletons just as conservatives are branded as ignorant rednecks based on the actions of true-believer zealots.

The legitimate followers & practitioners of any ideology lie where the core of anything is supposed to lie. In the center.

C'mon, man!
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 4:43pm

But, whereas Maher seems basically respectful , Behar comes across to me as snide, condescending, sarcastic, dismissive, and superior.

I think that's just her trying to be the "typical New Yorker".

In other words, her "shtick".

Yeah, probably.  But that's so old.  It's even more cliche than Jeff Foxworthy, who at least mocks redneckery as much as he celebrates it.

Being an obnoxious Noo Yawkah, isn't Behar's 'shtick'...it's her personality.
With Foxworthy, you at least have a sense that he's not really the dumb hick he portrays in his act.

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 4:44pm

True. But the day when New Yorkers tire of portraying themselves as quintessential New Yorkers is nowhere in the foreseeable future.

So? You want we should fuhgeddaboutit, or what?LOL
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 5:00pm

I hardly think that my being amused at the people who take the bible's more ridiculous "stories" as truth is being "hateful".   So spare me your "maddy faced" smilie because using it shows you have the same intolerance you accused me of.   Some of us do not believe in the utter nonsense written and re-written by supersititious, ancient, and probably very drunk people. Belly of a whale, pillars of salt, arks with a pair of every animal on it,  aged women giving birth.  Yep sorry...it frightens me to think people believe in these things but won't allow their kids to participate in Halloween activities!  But I will say the bible is a great work of fiction!  Sadly though most religious people I know have never read it.  Wink 

LOLLOL

Spicy, I don't think you'll find too many Christians who believe that stuff literally.  Where have you been getting your knowledge of Christianity---from The View?  LOL

Unless you at least have some knowledge of Christianity or bother to look this stuff up, I don't get your "utter nonsense" comment.  Wink

I'll just say that atheism and atheists don't bother me...except when they get as fanatical and fiercely protective of their viewpoint as certain religious people do.
The 'nonsensical, superstitious, or very drunk people' comment tells me that 'Spicy' either doesn't know any religious people...or only knows the wrong (stereotypical) kind.
I don't care for lumping all Christians in with a few of the more extreme, generally midwestern or southern-based  so-called 'fundamentalist' congregations(especially Fred Phelps, whose mob doesn't even deserve to be called a 'congregation').
It's easy for an idea to look good 'on paper', but be twisted when it's actually put into practice...it's true not just of religion, but also political theory.

Quote So true. It's just an inescapable fact that religion tends to attract people with problems they created themselves, then couldn't solve so they buy into the idea that Jesus is the next miracle cure-all for everything & all they have to do is start spouting off some basic tenets of faith without thinking for themselves which, as you said they often times lack the ability to do anyway. Which is likely what got them into the situation where they needed to go looking for a crutch to prop themselves up to begin with.

The unfair thing is that the rest of the faithful get branded by the ones who stand out the most, which unfortunately are the goof balls.

But the same is true in any ideology, be it political or otherwise.

Liberals are all branded as moonbat kooks based on the actions of well meaning simpletons just as conservatives are branded as ignorant rednecks based on the actions of true-believer zealots.

The legitimate followers & practitioners of any ideology lie where the core of anything is supposed to lie. In the center.

Exactly. Unfortunately, debating from the center doesn't always make for thrilling discussions on the internet...not 'extreme' enough for some people!Confused

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Being an obnoxious Noo Yawkah, isn't Behar's 'shtick'...it's her personality.
With Foxworthy, you at least have a sense that he's not really the dumb hick he portrays in his act.

Another slight variation on that theme:

I've known a lot of comedians, and have known some whose schticks became their personalities.  It's as if they've gotten more positive reaction from their on-stage persona than from their actual personalities...and so that's what they adopt even off-stage.  Or maybe they feel stronger or something with their new "strong" persona.

Such people are the ones who are always "on".

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Unfortunately, debating from the center doesn't always make for thrilling discussions on the internet...not 'extreme' enough for some people!Confused 

Yeah, centrism is boring.

I can't even stand listening to it even though I sort of come from that place myself.

I'm left of center, but not far left, & even I can't bear hearing people say "you both make good points" everytime two people disagree.

No...... usually one of them is flat wrong.

Coincidentally enough, that is always whoever I'm arguing against.

C'mon, man!
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 6:11pm
Hmmm..Me too!LOL
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 12:50am

Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

My apologies to the Republicans who may be reading this.  I don't hate you, specifically.  But Elizabeth Hasselbeck, on The View, isn't doing your party any favors.

I want her to just shut up. Angry

Don't feel bad.  I find Joy Behar to be a foul, stupid pig.  And talk about visually repulsive...

Shocked  Bit harsh there, Thor?  Do you watch "The View" daily?  She's actually one of the brighter bulbs on the panel.  I watch just for Joy's seering comments.  She adds spice to the show.  As does Whoopi.  "Scary" Shephard is just too ridiculous to be true.  She actually has to stop and think whether the earth is round or flat, and actually believes the story of Noah's Ark!  LOLLOLLOL

There you go again with your hateful intolerance towards religionAngry

Thank you for reinforcing the point of my last post!Tongue
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 1:53am

LOLLOL

I think I was quite clear with my opinion of why/how the bible was written and by whom.    I don't have, or need, a source of information for my own opinion.  Wink   Don't assume that because I do not believe in these things, that I am ignorant of religions.  I actually enjoy watching and listening to intelligent people challenging what was written in the bible instead of just accepting these fables.   And yes...I was once a "Christian".  But when I realized that being a Christian meant I had to believe the tale of a son born to a virgin who was impregnated by a ghost, I lost interest.  That same fable exists in other faiths and some long before Jesus came along.   I do believe Jesus was real.   But I will never buy how he came to be born because as an intelligent woman, I KNOW how a baby is made.  Tongue
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 1:58am

I do believe Jesus was real.   But I will never buy how he came to be born because as an intelligent woman, I KNOW how a baby is made.  Tongue

I'm not questioning your intelligence, but truthfully, one doesn't need to be intelligent or even a woman to possess that little bit of knowledge. Wink

C'mon, man!
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 2:09am

Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

My apologies to the Republicans who may be reading this.  I don't hate you, specifically.  But Elizabeth Hasselbeck, on The View, isn't doing your party any favors.

I want her to just shut up. Angry

Don't feel bad.  I find Joy Behar to be a foul, stupid pig.  And talk about visually repulsive...

Shocked  Bit harsh there, Thor?  Do you watch "The View" daily?  She's actually one of the brighter bulbs on the panel.  I watch just for Joy's seering comments.  She adds spice to the show.  As does Whoopi.  "Scary" Shephard is just too ridiculous to be true.  She actually has to stop and think whether the earth is round or flat, and actually believes the story of Noah's Ark!  LOLLOLLOL

There you go again with your hateful intolerance towards religionAngry

Thank you for reinforcing the point of my last post!Tongue

I did nothing of the sort.  If you look back over the thread you "attacked" me for a comment I made about Sherri Shepherd's beliefs...not MINE.   You would like to think of me as someone who has horns atop my head because I think it's interesting to challenge these stories and to express the fact that I personally think they are preposterous.  I have freedom of speech.  I don't have to believe these things and I can say so.  I really have no "hateful" ideas at all.  My ideas are  just not accepted by you, so you call my opinions "hateful".   That's a tactic used by lots of religious people.   And if you look at the state of the world, you'll find it solves nothing.    You've done little to support your case, which is that you know these stories of the bible, no matter how outlandish and impossible, are truth.  ?   I'd ask you for some proof or some other comments to support your case, but can I assume you'll say "I have faith!!"  Because that's what a majority of people who have no explanation for things tend to say.  At least in my experience.  One thing I know for sure is that discussing religion with people who do not like/accept people who do not like/accept religion is generally futile.   Wink
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 4:11am
^ it is kinda dickheaded to go around saying these things when you know there are people here who are Christians like I. That said, I don't take all the bible literally like a few do.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

^ it is kinda dickheaded to go around saying these things when you know there are people here who are Christians like I. That said, I don't take all the bible literally like a few do.

I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem very Christian to be calling someone else "dickheaded"; and...she's a female....

...(to Skib)You've done little to support your case, which is that you know these stories of the bible, no matter how outlandish and impossible, are truth.  ?   I'd ask you for some proof or some other comments to support your case, but can I assume you'll say "I have faith!!"  Because that's what a majority of people who have no explanation for things tend to say.  At least in my experience.  One thing I know for sure is that discussing religion with people who do not like/accept people who do not like/accept religion is generally futile.   Wink

That's what faith is - believing in something you can't see; or believing in something beyond natural reason.  It's not an indication of ignorance, however - many of the greatest minds throughout history have, at some point, relied on their faith.

Faith and Religion are not the same animal - I think Spicy you were trying to say that, as well?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic